Clif Bar Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
3.9
Gary J. Erickson

1. Amazing company, very fun job, & great pay!

Former Employee - Marketing Crew
    Former Employee - Marketing Crew

I worked at Clif Bar part-time

Pros

I was a part-time employee for 2 years during college for Clif Bar in Austin, Texas. I was a part of the Marketing Crew where we traveled to various athletic events on the weekends to promote the products to athletes, family members, & other spectators. I really had a blast doing this job!! I also made great money, but more importantly I made some awesome friendships and learned a LOT about triathlons & marathon training. It was super interesting & even got free admission to many marathon events (which can be over $100 usually just for entrance to run). You also get meal & gas stipend (if you ride in the Clif truck with everyone else & not drive yourself) and stay in the nicest hotels! Another huge plus for me was that almost all events are outside so I got a tan, fresh air, and a work out :) Clif is an amazing company to work for! Every employee works extremely hard & loves their job!! Thank you Clif for such a great experience!!

Cons

I honestly can't say one bad thing about this job. I guess the traveling to events was a lot & on the weekends, but you sign up for the events you want to attend ahead of time so there isn't any surprise of placement :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I really enjoyed my experience with Clif Bar in Austin, TX and learned more than I ever thought I would about marketing for the company and even athletic training for events. Thank you again for this wonderful opportunity!

2. Energizing work environment

Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager

I worked at Clif Bar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company culture. Great office environment.

Cons

Lots of travel was required.

3. Outstanding in the Field.

Current Employee - Contractor in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Clif Bar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organic Cafe, Childcare, get paid to work out, company trips, company band, incredible building.

Cons

Commute is bad if you can't leave early or late. Perfect for someone who lived in Berkeley or Oakland and can take back roads to bike there. It will be great for Marin folks who want to bike to work once the Richmond Bridge opens to cyclists.

Advice to Management

Kit and Gary are the nicest people and know what they are doing. Keep up the great work.

5. marketing crew

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Clif Bar as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT crew and fun work environment

Cons

pay is below average and some members are unreliable

Never a dull moment. Wonderful products and great people.

Former Employee - Administrative in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Clif Bar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company values, products and the people

Cons

The rapid growth has led to occasional frustration when processes haven't been updated quickly enough.

Advice to Management

Salaries closer to market rate would help to get and retain more of the best people.

Amazing Work/Life Balance, Great People

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Clif Bar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you value work/life balance, Clif Bar will feel like your second home. The campus is wonderful, stocked with a sustainable cafe, gym, personal trainers and much more. People keep regular schedules and the workforce is family oriented.

Cons

Some teams have minimal growth opportunities. Cross-functional team projects can be a big challenge, and there are a lot of people in management that are very set in their ways.

Advice to Management

Figure out ways to innovate, not just with products, but in how to reach new customers, instill trust in employees and grow all teams.

Good understanding of great corporate culture/values but falls way short on actual execution

I worked at Clif Bar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits/Perks/Vacations - in many employee's opinions referred to as the golden handcuffs
    Passionate and creative people. Personal relationships with good people
    If you want an easy 9-5 job and/or to stop being pushed/developed, this is the perfect laid-back culture
    Mostly employees parents who love the day care and no after hour emails - their priority is not work anymore

Cons

Leadership. Many of the leaders are here based on personal friendships with the owners/founders
    I have never experienced more of a clique - not even in school. Management talks behind everyone's back and people are watched carefully. Don't you dare think about speaking your mind - you have to agree with the path the company is taking. There is no room for people who think outside of the box or propose to do things differently - even to have these discussions are dangerous. Clif believes in their formula - and it's worked for 20 years but are not open to change and they are suffering. Just look at the packaging and slow product launches - easy to see why Kind and others have taken significant market share in less than 5 years. Culture changed dramatically from the beginning to end of my career at Clif and they have treated many people very poorly. I agree with one reviewer who said, "Go-getter types may not get enough from the gym and free bars to feel professionally satisfied at Clif" Promos are a thing of the past as they are only hiring experts in their field and you'll be lucky to get a lateral job if you want to try something else.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Your values all point to authenticity and bringing your true self to work but that's far from where you have gone. Work hard to find the spirit of the company Gary and Kit started.
    Be transparent about career growth and development
    Clean up management team for ethics issues - you have some of the wrong people in place

Verdict is still out

I have been working at Clif Bar full-time

Pros

Genuine to culture, friendly and professional work environment. Laid back attitude. Zealous about work life balance. Good pay and benefits. Great food.

Cons

Silos abound. Many people work on their projects and there's little cross pollination. Stuck on 'this is the way we have done things' mentality. Management needs to see that grassroots approach that worked 20 years ago won't continue to work as the landscape for how we reach consumers has drastically changed over the last two decades.

Advice to Management

Provide clear direction, make decisions and share information in the open way so people can be effective at their jobs.

Good for a start

I worked at Clif Bar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great place to work for someone just out of school, or just starting a career. Some departments have more promotions than others, as there is A LOT of mobility—upwards, sideways, outward. It has a young, active culture, so the energy is high.

Cons

If you are fluent and experienced, there might be times where the interaction with newbies' inexperience causes inefficiencies and failure. Some departments are able to balance work-life more than others. The hierarchy is multi-layered.

Unfriendly, total clique company.

Former Contractor - Planning in Emeryville, CA
    Former Contractor - Planning in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Clif Bar as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Clif Bars. Thats about it. oh. Dogs in office is pretty awesome

Cons

People are shallow. If not part of the "Clique" then be prepared to be laid off or walked out. Operations department is very scattered.

Advice to Management

try to be kind, and show regular employees and contractors some respect. especially In the planning department. LP is particularly a manager you do not want to deal with

Clif Bar Photos