Clifford Chance

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Childs

Excellent place to start your career

Trainee Solicitor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCollegiate peers
    Great amenities / support
    Face-time rare

ConsWork hours - the downside to beating the downturn. Expect a heavily compromised social life.

Fabulous

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal office with colleagues from different countries and walk of life.

ConsLong working hours and need to upgrade IT systems and softwares.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo increase interaction between management and staff

A fantastic eye-opener to the world of Capital Markets and Mergers & Acquisitions...No firm does it like Clifford Chance

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsTop-Tier Law firm, Quality & Depth of work, Clientele that reads like a Who's Who of the Corporate and Financial World, Global Reputation, Excellent Secretarial & Support staff, Great Office locations all over the world (especially London & Singapore)

ConsExtremely demanding hours, Work-life balance issues, Peer pressure, lack of opportunities to work in different practice areas and with different lawyers, Never get to work with Partners/Senior lawyers as all work is delegated by Senior Associates / Associates

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big firm, no soul

Associate Lawyer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIf you want to get an excellent training and have a fantastic record on your CV - this is the firm for you. Also, the facilities are wonderful.

ConsIf you want a life, have a family and not have to spend all your money on therapy, move once you have finished your training. The facilities are also intelligently designed to keep you there. There is an obsession with billable hours beyond any sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and adopt a more holistic approach to your employees. The squeeze every juice out of them so they will leave early is actually a bad investment choice. What's the point of investing so much time and money on trainees and associates if you will drive the best out? Remember, the most talented and intelligent people are those that have a lot more to them as people rather than pigeoned hole lab rats. If you're looking for longevity as a firm, you need to look at what individuals can contribute overall to the firm and their overall talents - not just billable hours.

Good work but long hours

Senior Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsInteresting work, great support, the office is nice and modern, and the facilities, particularly gym, squash courts and swimming pool are great. Many "normal" people work there

ConsLong hours, pretty limited prospects. When it gets busy some partners have little sympathy for things kick the need for SOME sleep.

British Big Law

Associate Lawyer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHigh profile transactions, excellent training, great lawyers throughout the network. Secretarial support is very good and document support is pretty much available 24/7. The offices are nice and offer good facilities (i.e. canteen, gym, swimming pool). Office culture is good considering the demanding work requirements.

ConsVery demanding hours. The nature of the work and demanding clientele means that lawyers need to be always available. The work/life balance isn't very good, which is typical for Magic Circle firms.

Good

Lawyer (Former Employee) Madrid (Spain)

ProsMagic Circle, good career opportunities, compensation and Benefits OK.
    Interesting cases, make good contacts. The Law firm has a very strength culture and values.

ConsIn this kind of Law firms you wont have time for any other thing during the week, and sometimes during the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the spirt

IT projects that never work

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat facilities onsite, some great people.

ConsMoney is poured down the drain by higher management working to their own blinkered agendas with no business benefit to most of the projects. Inept design teams create unworkable solutions that engineering teams then have to fix during implementation, usually at additional cost and delay. Political and juvenile games played by higher management, including passing the blame down the chain when it goes wrong, and hiding the mess from the business and partners through misrepresentation of the facts.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to and trust the experts in their fields instead of just formulating your decisions by hearing only the facts that fit into your agenda, and Gartner is not the answer to everything!

Good for your CV, bad for your mental health

ProsNice facilities and support services (on-site gym and dinner brought to your desk after 9:30pm), print room services have massively improved since I was a trainee, great brand name and instantly recognisable. Mostly an open door culture and the majority of partners are approachable.

ConsLong hours - expect your holidays (including Christmas) and weekends to go out the window once you push past 1 year PQE; the pay isn't commensurate with the expectation that you're on call at the weekends; bonuses are pathetic in the finance departments (expect about 1mth salary and only if you're booking in at least 110% utilisation); 24h secretarial support isn't always there and the patchy quality of document production support can sometimes mean your efforts to meet a deadline by sacrificing your sleep and sanity are for naught; bullies hide in plain sight; teams can be poorly staffed and what may start out as a small deal may spiral out of proportion but without the requisite staffing levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want junior-mid level associates to stop leaving, pay us more money or at least put a limit on the number of weekends each person has to work.

Good pay, boring work, boring people

Summer Associate (Former Employee) Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Pros- less than 50h/week
    - no pressure at all

Cons- no pressure is still an understatement, it was like nobody really cared if I existed or not
    - I asked the whole floor to give me some work as my "mentor" (i.e. guy sitting around not caring about me) didn't have much to do for me. That resulted in hardly anything but in my review it said I could have shown more effort.
    - People working in the Capital Markets department have radiate boredom. I bet if you'd build a Geiger counter for it, the building would be closed down for contamination within weeks

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some interest in your people. Money isn't goin to make it.

Worked for Clifford Chance? Contribute to the Community!