CliftonLarsonAllen

Updated May 6, 2014
3.2

Gordon A. (Gordy) Viere

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging, fast-paced, and great learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Auditor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CliftonLarsonAllen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There was huge opportunity for personal growth at CLA. It is one of the fastest growing CPA firms in the nation, and this allowed me as a staff and a senior associate to take part in client proposals and presentations. Being put into these experiences with little experience was a huge learning opportunity and led to a quick promotion.

Cons

Work-life balance, lower pay in comparison to other large accounting firms.

Increase pay for seniors and managers, and retention will remain high.

Great learning opportunities, lots of internal changes and politics

Current Employee - Tax Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CliftonLarsonAllen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to learn, excellent client size, varied job experiences

Cons

mergers cause constant internal change in policies

None

Audit Intern

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CliftonLarsonAllen full-time for less than a year

Pros

New clients, new team every week

Cons

busiest time was the summer because a lot of clients had 6/30 year ends

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are looking for work life balance, this likely isn't the company for you.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CliftonLarsonAllen full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Larson Allen was not afraid to invest in new technology. Software and hardware seemed very up to date and instances of problems with software and hardware seemed minimal.

- Larson Allen was very competitive. Marginal performers were pushed out in pretty short order. This attitude is good to be around as a young employee because you'll push yourself the rest of your career wherever you go.

Cons

- Sterile environment. To some extent, all service firms are managed in a passive sterile fashion, but Larson Allen's MInneapolis office was managed more passively than most. Rather than verbalizing things the writing was often written on the wall. I requested less travel and when the next schedule came out I was on the road extensively. I take that as a passive jab. At that point I think they thought I was going to leave and they wanted to make my departure quicker.

- Work life balance not respected. I was told in my interview work life balance was important to management, but this was far from the truth. There were many instances when we went from the client, to a drive-thru or curb side to go, and then went back to the hotel lobby to work. On one job, a senior tried to claim that if you would have spent the money in the office you shouldn't claim the expense on the road. The direction things were going they weren't going to compensate travel.

- Experience at Larson Allen is not as highly regarded as experience at a Big Four. When I tried to leave Larson Allen, I had no Sarbanes Oxley experience and most of the clients I worked on were laggards in the Not for Profit world which didn't go over well with recruiters.

- Industry Specialization limits perspective - I was told in my interview employees were given opportunities to jump from industry to industry. This in fact was very rare. In order to be given that type of latitude you had to be an excellent performer on the partner track. I started in the health care and there was no way out. While I was fine with health care, if you are entrepreneurial banking, real estate, or manufacturing would have offered a look at businesses I would have been more interested in.

- The company thought very highly of itself - While people at Larson Allen would never admit this, most people reviewing a financial statement couldn't tell you if Wipfli, Larson Allen, or Baker Tilly prepared the audit. Larson Allen took this approach they were better than the other firms and knew more about their client's business than the client.

- CEO & BOD highly revered. The CEO had a following that was almost creepy. You would have thought he was the head of State or something.

As an upper level manager, you likely make in excess of $200,000. As an entry level staff you probably make approximately $50,000. Upper management needs to understand someone making $50,000 isn't being compensated for sleepless nights and all the other issues they have to deal with.

It has been a fun, exciting time.

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CliftonLarsonAllen as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Friendly People

Cons

Outdated office, Busy tax seasons

Not as advertised

Former Employee - Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CliftonLarsonAllen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enough work to keep you busy, opportunity to learn that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but sometimes it is.

Cons

Inept managers that can't decide on what they want, inability to allow others to lead and have to micro-manage everything

Management needs to understand that when they hire an employee for a specific role, refusing to put that employee in the role will discredit management and make employees unhappy.

Great people, culture, and opportunities.

Current Employee - Tax Intern  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CliftonLarsonAllen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoy the down to earth type of people that work for CLA. Everyone understands that we all have our personal lives outside of work, and they are very understanding with us working around that, even during busy season.

Cons

I love that the office I work for is in downtown Minneapolis for the large size of the office and the convenience of having the skyway, but the one reason I am considering leaving the Minneapolis office in because of the commute and dealing with traffic.

Worked for CliftonLarsonAllen? Contribute to the Community!