Clinique Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
3.6

Clinique President & CEO Fabrizio Freda
Fabrizio Freda

Pros
  • The staff discount is amazing, and you get a lot of free products (in 9 reviews)

• gratis, great products, and learned a lot about skincare (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pressure to acheive sales goals (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours especially during gift (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Training!

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at Clinique part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Clinique was one of the best jobs i've had. They treat you so well. Training was always the thing I looked forward to. You got to meet people from other counters and have an entire day or sometimes two days of learning about skin care and what goes into your makeup and how it truly works.

Cons

I didn't get paid very well, and being part-time your hours were through Macy's. Some weeks I would get as little as 12 hours per week.

Good Place To Start With Cosmetics

Current Employee - Clinique Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clinique Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clinique part-time for more than a year

Pros

They take care of their employees. Very grounded brand to work for. They are dedicated to making sure Clinique has brand loyal customers. There are training seminars about 2x a year which are good refreshers.

Cons

No room for growth or advancement within the company. I find it hard to move up. Clinique also needs to keep up with the current trends. They are way behind on the styles of today's time.

There needs to be better communication from upper management. A lot of times when information finally gets to the sales associates, its not communicated properly. There are multiple times when sales associates only get half the information. Communication needs to be more consistent and transparent.

Great cosmetics company, lousy department store to work for

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Clinique part-time for more than a year

Pros

Clinique consultants are super-sweet and there's rarely any drama that you might see with other counters. Account executives and coordinators are tough but fair. Lots of training/continuing education seminars. Generous gratis every 3-4 months.

Cons

Unfortunately, you don't just report to Clinique- you report to the department store that houses your counter. And that's a whole different ballgame. Sales goals are usually ridiculously high, and you're expected to badger people to open credit cards and participate in pre-sale events. You are also expected to manage dozens, possibly hundreds of Clinique clients- you're supposed to call 10 clients a day and check in on them re: needing products, pre-sale, etc. I find this invasive.

LAY OFF THE CREDIT CARD APPLICATIONS, for Pete's sake. None of the perks of the store credit card apply to cosmetics, so it's not beneficial for our clients. I would also suggest more of a balance with regards to how you treat the consultants- sometimes it feels like they only check in with us when we're not meeting sales goals. A little appreciation for when we do things well, instead of only being scolded when we don't do well, would be nice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not team oriented, Stressful enviroment

Former Employee - Clinique Consultant  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Clinique Consultant in Boise, ID

I worked at Clinique full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commission on top of base sales, Gratis, rewards for meeting goals

Cons

Make choices to benefit yourself as an individual, reprimanded for making choices to help the team, high sales goals from Macy's and Clinique, not a lot of gratitude from upper management

Show appreciation and understand for your employees rather than treating them like sales machines

Not a place for an artist to grow.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Clinique full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have a passion for cosmetics and sales, this is the place to work. You can make decent commission and the training program is extensive, paid for, and they believe to sell the brand, you must use the products. This translates to $350.00 of gratis every 3 months. Culture is everything.

Cons

Culture is very clique-ish. Somewhat cult-like. The training on skincare is inaccurate, although they really do a great job of selling their belief, which in turn will help you sell and up-sell products...but if you have a soul and do not wish to misinform people, I wouldn't recommend working here. Artistically stifling.

Associate Consultant

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Clinique as a contractor

Pros

This position is very flexible and allows me to make some extra money aside from my full time job. It also pays a lot more than most part-time jobs do. I have a background in cosmetics and that is how I was offered to apply to this position.

Cons

So long as you know your products and how to do makeup - you should be good to go! Wish this type of position received gratis.

Meh.

I have been working at Clinique for more than a year

Pros

Education in skincare...even if you wonder if all of it is correct. Gratis, discount on products under the Estee Lauder umbrella, helping people feel great about themselves.

Cons

Rigid, strict dress code. Pressure to meet high goals which is customary in retail cosmetics. Clinique has affordable product, so it can be tricky to make it add up. You feel like you are pushing a bunch of products when most people don't want to put 6 layers of goo on their face twice a day (not counting makeup). Calling people constantly. You feel like you are bothering them, like a telemarketer.

Loosen up with the dress code. You can be professional and fashionable at the same time. The beauty industry is part of the fashion industry, and the fashion industry is always evolving. That is why the more "trendy" brands are taking your business. The makeup is still kinda boring. Shake it up a little bit! Even Estee Lauder is stepping up their game.

Creative Assistant (permanent/temporary position)

Former Employee - Creative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Clinique as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Generous discount on company products. Great environment and offices to work in.

Cons

I was not eligible for medical benefits since I had a temporary position.

Great company to work for! Education on products is second to none.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Steubenville, OH
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Steubenville, OH

I have been working at Clinique part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great products, great atmosphere.

Cons

Scheduling is less than Full Time.

Offer more FT positions, please!

Regional Education Executive

Former Employee - Regional Education Executive  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Education Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Clinique full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company kept a family feel even though a 1.1 billion dollar company. Amazing training. Training can be 4-6 weeks but worth it. Expectations are high but achievable. Reviews are very specific and they set you up for success. Amazing products. Allow executives to offer feedback on products before they are manufactured for public.

Cons

Can be rigid with details. Sometimes slow to move and change. Conservative at times.

More feedback from consultants in regards to new products, selling techniques and how displays and testers are manufactured.

Worked for Clinique? Contribute to the Community!