Clorox

Updated September 14, 2014
3.9

Clorox Chairman and CEO Don Knauss
Don Knauss

Pros
  • The work-life balance is excellent with employers who trust you to get the work done (in 67 reviews)

• Great People overall to work with, benefits are nice (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many hidden agendas at upper management level, no concern for employee well being, work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• First, consult the process and then wade through layers and layers of decision making (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work that has provided many opportunities/challenges.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Clorox full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance (for those disciplined enough to keep the two balanced) - work is interesting, engaging.
    Good overall benefit plans/options for immediate and future needs.

Cons

Plenty of work to do w/limited resources and short timelines sometimes results in re-work due to not investing the appropriate time/resource in initial effort.

Good people, interesting work.

I have been working at Clorox full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Summer Fridays are a huge benefit.

Cons

Downtown Oakland can be dicey. And Pleasanton is not commuter friendly.

Information Technology Team

Current Employee - IT Team in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - IT Team in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Clorox as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance and Good employees

Cons

Sudden change is policies/directions from management

Only white males need apply - old boys' network is alive and well

Former Employee - Group Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Clorox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Half-day Fridays all summer long. You don't have to work that hard, if you don't upset anyone or complain about anything.

Cons

Retaliatory with complaints to HR. If you aren't white, then it is rare to rise to Director or more senior levels. If you aren't male, then it is very rare. Just look at the composition of the board and executive. The culture is actually very hierarchical and consensus oriented, which makes executive decision-making slow and easily changed when every other opinion by those considered "knowledgeable" is entertained, regardless of whether it is in the relevant function or a critical question worth entertaining. Senior leadership is archaic and out of touch with current best practices on everything from people management, agility, to technology. The "values" are exemplified by a few executives, but mostly it is lip service.

Promote/hire some women and non-whites to become executives to introduce a better culture and new thinking. Pay attention to employee complaints and not just make them go away. Re-train/eliminate retaliatory managers.

Clorox Response

Jul 3, 2014Talent Management Consultant

Thanks for your feedback. We’re disappointed you did not have a great experience overall. Clorox does not not tolerate harassment, discrimination or retaliation, so we encourage you to report your ... More

Good company to work for except for the top heavy departments

I have been working at Clorox full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company gives great on the job training. Many advancement opportunities if you are fortunate to work for the right manager. There are great resource groups to appeal to all employees

Cons

Lacking in minorities. Some functions lay off employees to justify their poor business choices. Outsourcing is running rampant. Employees are not longer a number one priority and have been replaced by overseas employees. Poor work life balance. The staff that remains gets the workload of 2 to 3 people.

Please start to value the talent that resides within our company. The level of favoritism that is showed to the select few is recognized by all. All employees are valuable, even those who are not interest in climbing the corporate ladder.

Clorox Response

Jul 3, 2014Talent Management Consultant

Thanks for your feedback. We’re disappointed you haven’t had a great experience overall, though, and encourage you to share your ideas with your manager or HR contact so that we can keep working ... More

Inspiring, innovative culture with motivated high caliber people

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Clorox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company values, culture, the high caliber people and interesting products

Cons

Large corporations tend to have more red tape and structured processes which may not allow as much flexibility in terms of climbing the ladder & compensation is generally more at market than some smaller start ups, also stock options are not available to employees until they are at a certain level

A pleasure. This is where I have wanted to work and feel blessed that I get the opportunity.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Clorox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company philosophy. Employees seem to like and respect one another.

Cons

I see people take advantage of Clorox's perks. Not much training.

Encouragement and appreciation goes a long way to people that know how blessed they are to work here.

Phenomenal work environment, colleagues and training

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Clorox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training sessions, work-life balance and benefits.

Cons

Moving forward in career is often challenge due to lean and flat nature of company.

A fortune 500 that feels like a small, family-run company; the best of both worlds.

I have been working at Clorox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great development opportunities offered by way of mentoring, on the job training and learning modules. Clorox makes brands that I can be proud to talk about, and they make an effort to explain to their employees why our products continue to be the best. It isn't just brand recognition - there are proven results compared to other products that make the company great and make for very proud employees. The work-life balance here is fantastic, starting with paid half-day Fridays in the summer and ending with a flexible work schedule and employee engagement opportunities on campus.

Cons

The company recently switched to an open floor plan/mobile work environment which in some departments can be very beneficial to breed communication and a cohesive work environment, but in others it can be a cause for distraction and inconvenience. Although I have a residential assigned desk, it is always a gamble who I will be sitting next to, and it becomes a battle for people to come in the earliest to have their prime selection of desks. I think an open work environment is great, but the mobile work environment could use some improvements.

Sometimes the politics and procedures of a large company can be frustrating and time consuming. My best advice would be to improve communications across the board. It is difficult in a large company but we can always do a better job.

A lifetime of fun delivring results moving the company ahead.

Current Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Clorox full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Quality of the products we produce. Fun and challenges of the work and projects I have gotten to work on.

Cons

As the company has gotten bigger there are more and more people I no longer know personally.

Find out what skills the current employees bring to Clorox. Find out what they would like to work on. Employees working on things they like breeds excitement about Clorox's future.