Clorox

Clorox Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Clorox Chairman and CEO Don Knauss

Don Knauss

Pros
  • The work-life balance is excellent with employers who trust you to get the work done(in 60 reviews)

• Half-day Fridays all summer long(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many hidden agendas at upper management level, no concern for employee well being, work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• First, consult the process and then wade through layers and layers of decision making(in 9 reviews)

Best for work/life balance

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsVery accommodating when it comes to family needs and flexible working hours, great location, close to San Francisco

ConsSlow to innovate, can be beurocractic, sometimes too much process

Great brands, smart people & friendly culture

Director (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsUnbeatable combo: Great brands, smart people, friendly culture, healthy work/life balance and location in San Francisco bay area. Clorox embraces diversity (even if senior management composition doesn't look like it). Company walks the talk of doing the right thing.

ConsDon't expect any big game changers. Focus is on optimizing the US business and driving incremental improvements. Culture of risk avoidance makes it hard for Clorox to expand overseas which is where the market growth potential is.

Great culture, people and leadership

Senior Buyer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsExtremely relationship-based, people-oriented and a very cross-functional work environment. I've been working here for about 6 years and had several roles across supply chain functions. I've never seen a more inclusive and work-life balanced company than Clorox! I also love Clorox because they're a company with huge brands that are recognized by everyone. We are much smaller in numbers so you get the opportunity to experience many different roles and interact which senior leaders on a regular basis. This is the perfect environment for me because I am a type A personality.

ConsThe fact that we are big brands but small numbers means that we don't have job openings all the time and also means that we must operate extremely lean. Clorox is not shy of utilizing our resources so you typically are challenged at times with keeping all the "balls in the air". Time management, people skills and initiative are valuable skills to have and survive at Clorox; people who struggle typically aren't good at one or more of these things.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that people managers continue to put their people first and do not get consumed with the day-to-day. When people managers lose sight of the people, all is lost. I've had some not-so-good managers and I've had some great managers. A great manager in my eyes is an advocate, has a network outside of their function and can help me to develop and stretch my skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, interesting work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsSummer Fridays are a huge benefit.

ConsDowntown Oakland can be dicey. And Pleasanton is not commuter friendly.

Good work environment

ProsFriendly, casual work environment. Great training opportunities and career development.

ConsReview process is on a bell curve

Information Technology Team

IT Team (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGood work life balance and Good employees

ConsSudden change is policies/directions from management

Loyalty over Competence

Anonymous (Current Employee)

Prosgood work/life balance, well known brands (most in declining markets), people are friendly/nice

ConsVery political environment, decision making is difficult, making your boss look good is valued over being good at your job, lots of dead weight, when things get hard the company retreats to what it knows versus doing what it should, job positions are narrow and shallow - you work for a function not a business

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Board - clean house starting at the top

A good place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood learning environment. Great people and perks like 1/2 day Fridays in the summer and casual dress.

ConsVery political and hard to move up if you do not fit the mold.

Only white males need apply - old boys' network is alive and well

Group Manager (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsHalf-day Fridays all summer long. You don't have to work that hard, if you don't upset anyone or complain about anything.

ConsRetaliatory with complaints to HR. If you aren't white, then it is rare to rise to Director or more senior levels. If you aren't male, then it is very rare. Just look at the composition of the board and executive. The culture is actually very hierarchical and consensus oriented, which makes executive decision-making slow and easily changed when every other opinion by those considered "knowledgeable" is entertained, regardless of whether it is in the relevant function or a critical question worth entertaining. Senior leadership is archaic and out of touch with current best practices on everything from people management, agility, to technology. The "values" are exemplified by a few executives, but mostly it is lip service.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote/hire some women and non-whites to become executives to introduce a better culture and new thinking. Pay attention to employee complaints and not just make them go away. Re-train/eliminate retaliatory managers.

Clorox Talent Management Consultant responded to this review

Jul 3, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We’re disappointed you did not have a great experience overall. Clorox does not not tolerate harassment, discrimination or retaliation, so we encourage you to report your ... More

Finance

Finance (Current Employee)

ProsThe company has a really awesome finance training for the division.

ConsThe company perks can be a bit better, but overall its good.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement really takes time to watch over the business and development of employees.

Worked for Clorox? Contribute to the Community!