Clorox Reviews

Reset
3.8
Clorox Chief Executive Officer Benno Dorer
Benno Dorer

Pros
  • Mostly easy work with good work/life balance (in 67 reviews)

• Work life balance slightly better than some competitors (half day Fridays in summer, flexible telecommuting policy on Fridays/ongoing) (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many hidden agendas at upper management level, no concern for employee well being, work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• First, consult the process and then wade through layers and layers of decision making (in 10 reviews)

1. Clorox was always good to me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Clorox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I always liked most of the people with whom I worked. I think people at Clorox have good human values. Some aren't good managers of people, however. Compensation was good. Good access to senior leaders. It's a big company that feels small.

Cons

I don't think very highly of its people development programs. It can do better. If you're a hi-po then you'll get your opportunities. If you aren't a hi-po then my advice is to aggressively pursue your own learning and development. Secondly, the organization has a control orientation to it, at least so it seemed to me. If you're looking for creative freedom it might not be your place.

Advice to Management

Teach middle managers how to coach their direct reports.

2. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

Good work force and cooperative people

Cons

concern foeir products and qualityr th

3. Group Manager - R&D

Former Employee - Group Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Clorox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing place to grow as a people manager - very clearly defined process and expectation. In general did not find "lifers" who didn't deserve to be there. A lot of emphasis on the what and the how when it came to performance management. Extreme focus on innovation across all BUs was exciting and challenging and work-life balance was achieveable for those seeking it.

Cons

Because of competitive pressures, budgets were generally compressed and decisions were compromised because of this. In particular when it came to staffing and finding the right people for the right job. Some groups were "created out of thin air" in order to sound cool and relevant; however, the work product was not clearly evident even with a 5 year window.

Advice to Management

Continue driving efficiency and innovation but do it with genuine inentions vs. just buzzwords.

5. Great company to work for

Pros

Great culture, friendly co workers, flexible on working remotly

Cons

I have been with the company about five months and I don't have any cons so far.

6. Clorox. Great pace to learn and enjoy work life balance

Pros

Great place to work. Great people. Lots of learning.

Cons

Have to wait for promotion.

7. Great company

I have been working at Clorox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good manager support - been able to grow in the company because managers helped grow my career Great work-life balance - able to take time off for personal matters without an issue Summer hours - work ends at 12:30 every Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day, excellent!

Cons

Not as employee focused as in the past Not many career options in smaller functions, limited room for growth within the company

8. Public Relations Intern

Pros

I learned a lot and was shown the ropes on what it was like to work for a public relations department at a large corporation. It was a hands on experience that I would take with me into my future endeavors.

Cons

I didn't have any bad experiences with the company.

9. Management

I have been working at Clorox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on delighting consumers with products. Encourages personal development.

Cons

Centralized functions inhibit accurate decision making at appropriate levels.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on consumer. Decentralize decision making.

10. Great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Clorox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Focused on people, work-life balance, smaller company vs some of the CPG giants out there so seems like there's more room for creativity and less bureaucracy standing in the way of getting things done.

Cons

Matrixed organization that is a bit difficult to understand and navigate - hopefully this changes soon.

Advice to Management

Simplify org structures - no need to be this complicated. Let Marketing take more of the reigns when it comes to brand strategy and setting direction to drive overall results (vs. being very Sales-driven)

11. Pretty good, if you are a style match with your management

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Great latitudinal rotation opportunities. Strong focus on culture by some in management.

Cons

Very challenging to get promotions without style match between you and your manager. Also challenging to balance the nicey nice culture - even for someone who is nice - with a need to deliver results. Political issues.

Advice to Management

Focus on people management skill and impact when promoting management. Not on who is a favorite pet politician. Value outside experience and promote from within. Set clear path to promotion and transparent value structure for management. PS - join the 19th century and offer some sort of child care support

RSS Feed </> Embed