Clorox

Clorox Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Clorox Chairman and CEO Don Knauss

Don Knauss

Pros
  • The work-life balance is excellent with employers who trust you to get the work done(in 59 reviews)

• Half-day Fridays all summer long(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many hidden agendas at upper management level, no concern for employee well being, work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• First, consult the process and then wade through layers and layers of decision making(in 9 reviews)

120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best for work/life balance

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsVery accommodating when it comes to family needs and flexible working hours, great location, close to San Francisco

ConsSlow to innovate, can be beurocractic, sometimes too much process

Great brands, smart people & friendly culture

Director (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsUnbeatable combo: Great brands, smart people, friendly culture, healthy work/life balance and location in San Francisco bay area. Clorox embraces diversity (even if senior management composition doesn't look like it). Company walks the talk of doing the right thing.

ConsDon't expect any big game changers. Focus is on optimizing the US business and driving incremental improvements. Culture of risk avoidance makes it hard for Clorox to expand overseas which is where the market growth potential is.

Good people, interesting work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsSummer Fridays are a huge benefit.

ConsDowntown Oakland can be dicey. And Pleasanton is not commuter friendly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Information Technology Team

IT Team (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGood work life balance and Good employees

ConsSudden change is policies/directions from management

Good company to work for except for the top heavy departments

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsThe company gives great on the job training. Many advancement opportunities if you are fortunate to work for the right manager. There are great resource groups to appeal to all employees

ConsLacking in minorities. Some functions lay off employees to justify their poor business choices. Outsourcing is running rampant. Employees are not longer a number one priority and have been replaced by overseas employees. Poor work life balance. The staff that remains gets the workload of 2 to 3 people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start to value the talent that resides within our company. The level of favoritism that is showed to the select few is recognized by all. All employees are valuable, even those who are not interest in climbing the corporate ladder.

Clorox Talent Management Consultant responded to this review

Jul 3, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We’re disappointed you haven’t had a great experience overall, though, and encourage you to share your ideas with your manager or HR contact so that we can keep working ... More

Only white males need apply - old boys' network is alive and well

Group Manager (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsHalf-day Fridays all summer long. You don't have to work that hard, if you don't upset anyone or complain about anything.

ConsRetaliatory with complaints to HR. If you aren't white, then it is rare to rise to Director or more senior levels. If you aren't male, then it is very rare. Just look at the composition of the board and executive. The culture is actually very hierarchical and consensus oriented, which makes executive decision-making slow and easily changed when every other opinion by those considered "knowledgeable" is entertained, regardless of whether it is in the relevant function or a critical question worth entertaining. Senior leadership is archaic and out of touch with current best practices on everything from people management, agility, to technology. The "values" are exemplified by a few executives, but mostly it is lip service.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote/hire some women and non-whites to become executives to introduce a better culture and new thinking. Pay attention to employee complaints and not just make them go away. Re-train/eliminate retaliatory managers.

Clorox Talent Management Consultant responded to this review

Jul 3, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We’re disappointed you did not have a great experience overall. Clorox does not not tolerate harassment, discrimination or retaliation, so we encourage you to report your ... More

Great Value, Okay Middle Management, and Poor Technology

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsStrong benefits, life-work balance (heavier on the life side), easy commute. Great place to work if you are not aggressive with your career.

ConsToo many long-tenure employees that prevented junior people to advance their career. High turnover among employees who have been there less than five years. Lack of technology. Process driven with no efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to do what you say you are going to do!

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsStrong, ethical leadership. Big company with small company feel. Company really walks the talk on values. Everyone has the ability to have an impact. Challenging projects, opportunities to grow and half-day summer Fridays!!

ConsVery process heavy and needs to evolve the technology.

It's all about the people

Global Insights Manager (Market Research) (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsHonestly, Clorox does a lot of things that I don't like, but having been at different companies, those irritating cons seem so minor compared to the really awesome people who work there! Clorox is competitive and they are pretty selective in who they hire. As a result, the people are passionate about what they do and are really smart.

Yes, the culture can be a bit political, and definitely people who suck up to management, who are good at bragging about their accomplishments, and who want to play the game get promoted more quickly than those who don't. However, I don't think that it is anymore true at Clorox than it is anywhere else. Moreover, even while people may be doing things to be competitive, overall, they aren't doing things to be mean or vindictive.

People at Clorox are much more honest and straight forward than I've seen at other corporations. They may strive to play the game and get their work out in front, but they don't do it by sabotaging others or being dishonest. They do it by being more aggressive perhaps, but I don't often see people thrown under the bus bc someone else withheld information or directly made them look bad.

And, there are a lot of people--the majority I believe--who really just want to do a good job, treat people well, and continue to learn and grow in their career. Often these people get promoted just as fast because they develop positive relationships with everyone and do top notch work.

Clorox also believes in developing people and places a strong emphasis on creating good people managers in addition to offering really great on the job and training program opportunities. People management is 40% of a people manager's review. At other companies, I've seen it be much less important and as a result get a lot less attention. Clorox offers training for new and experienced managers and is always looking for ways to help people managers be better at their jobs. People managers can't just excel at their business roles while being a poor manager and be successful in the company.

The physical work environment is great - real offices with doors for managers and above. The benefits, especially long term incentives/retirement benefits, are extremely generous.

The company is very socially responsible, and you can leave at night knowing that you didn't have to "bend any rules" or justify that laws don't really apply to your company bc it's operating in a space that hasn't existed before.

The pay is low, but Clorox has an entire group of employees they call boomerangs - people who left for greener pastures (location, money, title, and more glamorous products) who come back bc the other company didn't have the same caliber of people and the same ethics in doing business.

ConsThe pay really is quite low for the quality of people the company tries to attract in the bay area.
    Working in Pleasanton, if you have to, is a serious haul from SF.
    Oakland is an ok location (better than the peninsula), but not as great as if it were in SF.
    It's not a very diverse company - the C-suite is pretty much all white men.

They have been coasting on strong brand equity for decades. They don't want to spend any money/invest in their businesses. They don't want to face up to the megatrends/macro changes in the world/people's lifestyles and instead continue to push for growing in declining categories with existing products rather than innovating in new areas and leading change.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to spend money to make money. Stop focusing on driving the stock price up to $100 by doing cost savings initiatives and underpaying your employees and making us operate like we're on austerity budgets. Invest in the business, drive real innovation and support it so we get distribution and grow share. Take some risks - some new initiatives will fail, but some will succeed. Do more research--stop trying to do more research with less resources. P&G has launched some truly and clearly consumer driven products that they only could have developed through smart, high-quality, and likely costly research. Stop the cuts.

Team Makes This Place Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsAt first I was skeptical about working in such a corporate environment, but the team is really wonderful. It doesn't feel like a stifled office setting, but a fun place to work. Very talented artists make me proud to be a part of the team. Very nice office in the heart of downtown Oakland, which is easy to get to via mass transportation. Workers are recognized for their hard work most of the time.

ConsIt's very rare for a full-time employee position to open up that contractors can move into. Because of this, there is no access to benefits such as as sick/personal days or aid for continued education/training. I haven't seen any raises or bonuses during my time here. There were more perks to the job, such as snacks and after-hours with the team, but budgets have been cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove contractors into full-time positions and/or offer raises/bonuses to keep talent in-house. Offer aid for continued education/training/growth so team is even stronger. Understand the potential of entry level workers and use that fresh energy and creativity to create amazing things. Incorporate fun team-building outings to strengthen bonds.

Worked for Clorox? Contribute to the Community!