Closet World

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
1.9

Frank Melkonian

Glimpse of what it's like to work a COMMISSION ONLY sales job

Former Employee - Designer in Whittier, CA

I worked at Closet World part-time (less than an year)

Pros

We went through a training and that taught you some brief company expectations and its sales pitch as well as product info.
    When you make a good sale, the commission can be really good.

Cons

They need to screen out some of these customers, got a 20 year old KID who wanted his closet done only to find out he only had 100 BUCKS in his bank account, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!
    A lot of these inquiries are people who simply wants to know what the price is and thinking of getting their closet done in like a few years, so unless you stick with this company this long, you most likely will not get that sale
    Managers don't return your calls and when you have an issue or question, you're on your own
    GAS REIMBURSEMENT would have been ideal

communicate better with the rest of management, hire more professional installers

sales

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Whittier, CA

I worked at Closet World full-time (less than an year)

Pros

pay is good, flexible schedule

Cons

company doesn't do as promised

Closet Hell for the designers

Former Employee - Designer in Whittier, CA

I worked at Closet World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, if you're a "people person" you get to meet new people all the time,

Cons

100% commission- you make 3%-7% of the total sale-no guarantee or consistent pay check, discounts or mistakes takes away from your commission, mistakes made by your manager, always get blamed on you, NO benefits, no moving up in the company

Your training was good to a point- the company is not up to date with modern technology, pen, graph paper and a stupid closet world scale/ruler- do not excite the consumers today, oh and the way I had to go back and forth from the price book and writing it down on the price sheet to present to the client- also tacky.
           The best part was the bully I was trained to be- ONE CALL CLOSE- MAKE THE SALE BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOME....
            Show your designers more respect- offer gas compensation, hold the managers responsible when they are at fault- instead of shifting blame on the designer.

I worked for the company for almost 2 years. I loved my immediate manager- Steve- we had an understanding, but when he was let go/fired- my manager was then the biggest self absorbed a -hole in the office JOHN...he made me repeat what he was saying word for word while on the phone with him- while I stood with the client talking like a robot. If i put my hand over the phone or put him on mute- he would lose it.

On my 2nd to last lead, I had a client who had 4 or 5 rooms to be done, the un discounted total came out to around 21,000.00! after my 10% and 30% deductions, it came down to around 13,000.00. I was not authorized to make any more deductions without getting my manager on the phone- he and the lead went back and forth, he and I went back and forth, finally the lead said 10,000.000 and we will get it today- JOHN said SOLD, so I said SOLD. a couple days later JOHN had the nerve to call me and tell me I was not authorized to give that much discount, he of all people, to suddenly put the blame on me- I was let go 2 days later. and how much did I make off that 10,000.00 deal? $400.00! because of "MY" discount mistakes- screw this company- I'm with a much better closet company now that pays me 9-11% commission.

The design and organizing is fun but commissions and customer service are very low.

Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Closet World (more than an year)

Pros

No cold calling, appointments are set for you. Good training program for those new to sales. The design and organizing aspects are enjoyable. Some clients are very nice and appreciative of your work.

Cons

Very low commissions. Inconsistent information from different managers. You do not "own" your clients - if they call back for additional work, they just give the lead to someone else without even attempting to reach the original designer. No notification of cancellations so you spend your time, your gas and your car getting to the apt and no one is there. Frequent low quality installations. Low grade customer service after the sale.

Higher fewer but more competent "designers" (sales people), give them 2-3 calls per day (instead of 1), provide the accurate information they need, PAY THEM FAIRLY and increase the quality of the installations. Do this and your Sales and Employee Retention would increase!!!

Former Designer

I have been working at Closet World

Pros

None. Very shady business practices. Lost their license at one point and did not tell employees. Changed name to Closets By Design.

Cons

Poor training. Three days of training and out you go alone to your first appointment. Does not reimburse gas money. Extensive wear on car.

Wake up

Its a Training Factory

Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Closet World full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They seem very nice, family oriented, and sincere. They have a great training program.
    The sales trainers are great. Very skilled in the art of the sale. I learned a lot.

Cons

Terrible Communication Practices After Hire
    They do not keep their commitments to sales reps.
    The sales managers lied to me.
    Reps do not know where or what time they have appointments until 7:30 pm the day before.

Don't lie.
    Be more respectful of your reps.

Need better customer service

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Closet World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No office desk. Out in the field. If products are installed correctly, they can be very beautiful and functional.

Cons

The biggest complaint is that the management doesn't care about their customers. Closets would often be installed wrong, and they would send the same inexperienced installer out to fix the problems. I had customers crying to me on the phone. Appointments would be made, and no installer would show up. Again and again. I had a customer say to me, "You seem nice, how can you work for a company like this?" Often, leads would not be screened properly. I once had a lead that sent me to a very dangerous situation and afterwards when I told one of the managers, she laughed! It's been a few years since I've worked there and I still have nightmares about that job.

Send a separate experienced crew to fix the problems. Also, demand that installers call the customers and tell them if they will be late or won't be able to come.

Lack of management follow through and support

Former Employee - Designer in Whittier, CA

I worked at Closet World full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule as long as the managers feel it is appropriate

Cons

No reimbursement on gas, managers say they will follow-up and do what they can for you but it's all talk. I had a few incidents where management claimed they would take care of it but never did.

Take some time to actually assist the designers. Do a better job of following through as you expect the designers to do.

Commission yeah right

Former Employee - Installer in Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Installer in Industry, CA

I worked at Closet World full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like working with your hands and seeing something you made with. That's where it ends.

Cons

You are told that an installer is what you want to be, cause of the money that you could make.(commission) bull. Don't be fooled by this if they are persistent on making you an installer so no. Unless you are superman or really don't care about what you do your self you will not make commission.and the most important make sure that you have it in writing your pay rates for both he commission and the hourly. Pay close attention to your hours and your pay.cause in this company they take from Peter to pay Paul when it comes to your commission and hours. Above all if you don't feel safe doing anything that is asked of you don't because you don't have to do anything that you feel is dangerous and you will be asked

Make sure you clarifie your self about pay and how commission pays for your hours first and the left over is your commission if there is any

A job I love, a company to be proud of.

Current Employee - Executive Senior Designer in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Senior Designer in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Closet World full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Unlike many other jobs, if you work hard and produce sales, you are treated well and given many opportunities for growth/promotion. No cold calling, all leads are company provided; no cost for supplies, catalogs, etc. Commission only pay is great: you are in charge of how much money you can make. Highly motivating management.

Cons

Sometimes we are a bit behind on style trends; but it's not a bad thing to be a stable, traditional, dependable product.

Keep up to speed with style trends; not with fads, but with true styles. Continue to seek feedback from designers in the field...but no whining from designers, they need to state facts only!

Closet World Photos