Clothes Mentor

Laid back but boring

Former Employee - Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount on clothing, easy no brainer job

Cons

No cell phone except on minimal breaks, cannot even have it on or out. No purses or bags, they give you a plastic see-through tiny bag to put your belongings in every day for work which is a complete pain & ridiculous & is over the top for a resale store. The plastic bag must be stored in view of the camera at all times. Every employee must work one weekend day whether you're part time or full time.

Buyer

Former Employee - Buyer in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Newport News, VA

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun Work if you're a buyer
    Great discount
    Good Brands

Cons

The owners are usually people who have money, but no management experience or degree or little experience. They really don't have corporate to report as it is a franchised business, so they do things unethically. They want you to over price used items. While it is "gently" used,it is still used. If people want to sprang $100 on a coach bag they will go to the outlet and get a new, up to date one. When you are helping open a store, they make it seem as though they are considering everyone to advance, but truthfully they already have people picked for certain positions. They will have secret trainings for the people they are considering for management. I was told to "be careful when buying from minorities, because if you don't buy from them they'll play the race card. " This was specifically from the owner.

Be fair and give everyone a chance. Just because you own the store, doesn't mean you get to disrespect people. Stop sizing customers up based on how their appearance, and race.

Used, Vintage & Consignment, Women's Clothing

Former Employee - Store Clerk in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Store Clerk in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can purchase name brand, well taken care of women's clothing items.

Cons

Unprofessional Management & Discrimination In the Workplace. They send you to a small training class and then expect you to perform without human error. Management is horrible, employees are unfriendly.

Get a business degree and learn proper workplace guidelines & laws

Potential to be a a fun job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Buye
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Buye

I worked at Clothes Mentor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was hired at one of the Clothes Mentor stores before grand opening, when we were in the process of buying inventory to fill the racks. It was an exciting and fun time building the business from the ground up. When we finally had our grand opening everyone was a little stressed, but incredibly proud and accomplished. Every employee worked hard to help the owner achieve her goal.
    I learned more at Clothes Mentor than any job I've had. I learned about customer and coworker relations, about technology and POS systems, I gained data entry experience, and more than anything I learned about brands and how to authenticate designer pieces.
    I made really great friends at Clothes Mentor while working here. I was also blessed to have a good owner and manager.
    Customers can also be nice and you get to know the regulars well. A lot of people come in the store looking for help putting together an outfit, and if you like to style at all, this can be a lot fun, as can dressing mannequins.
    If you love fashion, then it's hard to hate this job. As a buyer, the majority of my day was spent looking at clothes, purses, shoes and jewelry. I used to say that everyday was like Christmas, as people brought in bags and boxes full of surprises. You never knew what you would see next......

Cons

After working here for a year and a half, and after the excitement of grand opening had long died down, this line of work lost some of it's appeal and moral lessened.

One of the hardest things you'll have to deal with is customers getting upset when you turn down their clothing. It's something that happens almost daily, if not everyday. It's just part of the job and after awhile you get used to it.
    This job is also more physical than the typical retail job. Heavy lifting is involved. I helped customers carry things out to their car all the time. I personally don't mind this, but it's definitely a little bit of a workout.
    Also, while I loved my the majority of my co-workers, this is by no means a drama free workplace. Of course, drama is something you have to deal with at all jobs and in life in general. Avoid cattiness when possible, and you'll be okay.
    Lastly, the perk of being able to buy items just as they arrive can also be a con, as my coworkers and I often spent far too much money on clothing, purses, shoes, you name it. Although, my wardrobe has never looked better.

It would have helped a lot if we had more meetings to discuss our concerns/ideas. It would have also been nice to have more in-store events.

Fast paced, busy atmosphere

Current Employee - Management in Perrysburg, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Perrysburg, OH

I have been working at Clothes Mentor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fast paced, time flies by!

Cons

Your Manager makes all the difference.

Senior Management is getting it right!

Cool Clothes, Hard Work, Decent Pay.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH

I worked at Clothes Mentor

Pros

You get to work with the latest fashions and can get clothes at a very good discount. Your co-workers are the best part of working, there are some very good people that work here.

Cons

You have a lot of unhappy customers to deal with on a daily basis. The training could be more sophisticated and equally distributed.

Management needs to appreciate the hard work of their employees more. Communication between the staff could be better.

Hard work and minimum monetary compensation, great clothing deals though!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH

I have been working at Clothes Mentor

Pros

Great access to cheap, nice clothing at a discount.

Cons

Hard physical work, dealing with a lot of customer complaints and very little room for promotion.

Reward hard consistent work and change bonus structure

The owners are extremely nice!

I have been working at Clothes Mentor part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, kind staff, and a fun work environment! The owners are very easy-going and work to help all of the staff and make it an enjoyable working experience.

Cons

I worked the floor but didn't see many opportunities to advance my career other than becoming a full time store manager. Other than that, this is a GREAT place to work!!

Interesting place to work, but not worth the stress.

I have been working at Clothes Mentor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount - Great fellow employees - Never know what you're going to see come in.

Cons

Low staff - Too many hours - Unappreciative Management - Unorganized

Your employees worked very hard for you to help you open your store and they barely got any thanks or rewards. You need more employees to balance out the hours and better pay.

Fantastic place to work, shop and make long lasting professional relationships!

I have been working at Clothes Mentor

Pros

it allows a very good balance between your work and family life. although it is considered retail, the hours are much more comfortable to work with.

Cons

would love a higher salary..but wouldnt we all?!

company is so new, more franchises are opening all the time...lots and lots of room for growth