Cloud Sherpas

Updated January 28, 2015
4.6

Cloud Sherpas CEO David Northington
David Northington

Pros
  • This contributes to a work/life balance that cannot be beaten (in 9 reviews)

• Great people overall, open culture, smiling faces, fast paced (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't like fast paced environments, then this is not the place for you (in 3 reviews)

• Company still feels like the result of multiple business forced together with different internal systems and processes (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I wanted to stretch myself and I got it! You're well compensated for risk and the hard work. Very intelligent people!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the most intelligent, yet appropriately humble people with whom to work. Working on clients that are at the very apex of the financial services sector. Having the ear and resources of Salesforce.com as a premier partner. Everyone is really great about celebrating each other's accomplishments.

Cons

The spreading of your mind share can get tiring. Significant demand of your time across projects. Tracking billable time can be challenging relative to hours allocated on a project.

Hire more people faster!

Fast growing company, opportunity to grow your career while working with a great team

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time

Pros

Fantastic opportunity, a supportive culture with great potential to grow your skills and your career across a diverse set of technologies. Working with some of the very best in the business affords growth at all levels from entry level positions to management.

Cons

As with any consulting firm, some people just don't like putting in the travel or having to work long hours at times. The fast pace and growth of the company can make it demanding.

Re-visit company benefits to continue to make them better and keep up the good work!

Great Opportunity in Exciting Environment

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is pretty young and the Company fits the profile of a typical tech company - ie casual attire, ping pong table, fun atmosphere. Leadership is transparent and truly values the culture. They make an effort to know all employees and stay knowledgeable in all aspects of the business.

Cons

Given that this is a relatively small company with significant growth, every employee is expected to wear multiple hats and go above and beyond their role. The expectations are high and the environment is fast paced, and not everyone is prepared for that coming in given the laid back environment. Health benefits are good although there is no 401k match.

Endless opportunities to learn, advance, and network

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a fast growing company that is constantly creating opportunities for you to learn something new about business, consulting, or nearly anything you want.
    There are plenty of opportunities to advance your career by gaining experience and flexibility to move to an area of the company that may interest you more.
    The chances to network with very influential people, not just within Cloud Sherpas, but also with partner companies, customers, and vendors.

Cons

At least in the Atlanta office, finding a desk can be difficult. I have had to move a few times, but there are others who still do not have a desk. I have heard that the office will be expanded in the near future, so that should help.
    The only other disappointment I have is the lack of matching of 401k contributions. However, I get the feeling that this is becoming the norm, rather than the exception.

A Great Place to Spread Your Wings

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are incredibly friendly, and leaders are easily accessible. Since the company is fairly small, there is much room to join the team, share ideas, and actually see them develop into new practices and procedures. Your input will be heard, and your knowledge in your field will be respected for the most part.

Cons

Managers and other employees can drop the ball when it comes to sharing information with all parties needing to be in the know. Sometimes missing information can lead to delays in processing when you are dealing with issues spanning multiple departments or groups. There should be more emphasis on providing/equipping managers with the knowledge of general processes.

When you become aware of new information or processes, please share with your team. Also, when you have questions or do not fully understand a process (which is perfectly ok) please get the correct information and then share. Try to avoid misinforming people of old processes, which leads to the overall breakdown in communication.

Knoweldgable and friendly work environment

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas

Pros

People are always willing to help one another

Cons

workplace can be clique'ish and exclusive

Start-up feel with enterprise level growth, talent and leadership lead by a stellar executive team.

Current Employee - General Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

On my first day at Cloud Sherpas, I was pleasantly surprised to see my new co-workers enjoying each other's company so much. CS has made an effort to find the right team members, each with the ability and desire to contribute. Everyone works hard and the pace is fast, but the attitude of the team makes it all bearable, even fun. Like a start-up, you have to be a bit of a self-starter here and can't be afraid to jump in and get your hands dirty. There is room to be creative, room to chip in, room to grow.

Cons

No 401K match is a bit of a disappointment. Fast growth sometimes means that processes can't catch up.

Clearer defined but simple processes for internal needs may result in greater productivity - sometimes people spin their wheels on certain projects because the path forward isn't clear. A very minor problem.

Growing company

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, easy going, high earning potential, flexible. If you want to grow there seems to be good opportunities.

Cons

Lots of calls, benefits and time off just ok, but they should add more company holidays throughout the year. PTO includes vacation and sick time, so you need to plan wisely.

Add more company holidays. Days like MLK and Presidents Day should be pretty standard.

Middle Management and Culture Need Improvement

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Cloud Sherpas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cloud Sherpas has some of the smartest consultants and most talented Salesforce experts in the ecosystem, including multiple Force.com MVP's and CTA's (Certified Technical Architects). Several Sherpas have gone on to assume leadership positions at Salesforce.com. Chatter is widely adopted company-wide and is frequently used to collaborate on projects, technology and complex customer use cases. Long hours, heavy travel and the need to be a self-starter come with the job, but compensation is commensurate and competitive. If you put in the time and attention, you will advance the ladder quickly and make big impacts on customer success.

Cons

Being on a technical career path, I had my manager who was a CTA replaced with a non-technical manager after restructuring, whom I would only interact with a few times a year. With this change, I was placed on an island to fend for my professional self. Company is lacking formal or informal processes for mentorship or career advancement. Consultants are expected to learn on-the-job as-you-go and in your free time, as you'll be at > 125% utilization all of the time.

Remote employees who don't live near an office are completely cut off from corporate culture. I hear the culture is amazing, but having never been to the Atlanta office, I can't attest. There is no effort to make remote employees feel like they're part of the company - they are not invited to holiday parties or corporate events and pretty much only ever meet the people on their project teams in person.

The executives I've met have all been intelligent, assertive and thought leaders in the CRM space. The middle management layer (Senior Manager and Manger levels) needs to get better at managing people and to do that, they can't be 110% focused on billable hours and selling billable hours as they are now. Functional resources need to be paired with functional managers and technical resources with technical managers because the problems they face on projects are different, they tend to have different personalities and career goals, and they have different performance indicators. Finally, make *some* effort to improve employee satisfaction and make remote consultants feel like they're a part of the company. I really feel spending some $$$ in this area would go a long ways to improve retention (as turnover seems to be extremely high, even for a consulting company).

Awesome company. Best place I've worked!

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Cloud Sherpas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very entrepreneurial. Great people,very smart and good to work with. Challenging projects. Great clients. Best Salesforce partner there is!

Cons

Most employees are virtual so not many activities to participate in and most work from home.

Keep up the great work!