CloudCrowd

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alex Edelstein

Good for clients, but sometimes really bad for workers

I have been working at CloudCrowd part-time

Pros- Great for clients who need quality, inexpensive work, so when there's something to do, it's usually a repeat customer.

- Pays the same day/night in most cases.

- The pay is occasionally decent.

Cons- ESL speakers from India flooded CloudCrowd to do categorization and similar projects. When those projects ran out, they paid native English speakers to edit their credentials tests so they could write. There are now ESL speakers randomly rejecting quality work and writing terrible articles that are a nightmare to edit.

- The admins are either completely silent on upcoming work or make false promises. They frequently say they're uploading something "tonight" or "tomorrow" and several weeks will go by before the work is uploaded. While this seems to be an issue with the clients instead of the admins, the admins very rarely communicate with the workers to let them know when something will be available.

- When there's a dry spell, working for CloudCrowd is stressful and frustrating. The admins don't always use the forums to let people know when something will be uploaded, so they will put up a small batch of the good articles at a random time. Unless you're on the platform and constantly checking throughout the day, you will miss out on work. Of course, even when the admins do let people know when something will be up, they are almost always several hours (or days) late, so you can't rely on that, either.

- There are content reviewers who will reject work for asinine reasons. You can appeal these, but the appeals process can take a few weeks and the admins can be wrong as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communication open at all times and let people know when something will be uploaded a few hours ahead of time. If there's a delay, let us know. The lack of communication is going to be the end of the quality workers who can use other platforms that don't have this problem. Also, please ban the people who have cheated to get their credentials and produce terrible work. Editing these awful projects is a true nightmare.

CC went down the drain

I have been working at CloudCrowd

ProsThe community - that's it.

ConsEverything. CC is "merging" with CS, but it's not a merge. More like CS bought our clients and threw its workers a few rotten scraps. There is hardly any work, but the admins pretend like there will be. It's extremely frustrating. I've had it, I'm done. I will NOT work at CS unless they get their crap together - I did it in the past and will not do it again unless things really change there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to say.

Waste of time (Try it if you'd like but you will be disappointed)

I have been working at CloudCrowd part-time

ProsEasy to get hired
Paid quickly (If you can find any tasks)
Variety of work types
You can work from home

ConsA lot of site errors
Some tasks don't work properly
Hard to find available tasks
Credential tests can only be taken at certain times (this limits available tasks by a lot)
very low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct attribute value does not work. For one of the items I actually tried every combination because I was told that despite following directions and answering everything exactly as it was presented, that it was still wrong. After trying every combination the site said they were all wrong.

I learned a great deal about running all aspects of a business operations.

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at CloudCrowd

ProsYou can learn a lot and learn about distributed labor.

ConsYou will often work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut business processes into place and follow them.

Awesome

Article Writer/Editor (Current Employee)
Nairobi (Kenya)

I have been working at CloudCrowd as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI get to earn extra income

ConsAvailable work is sometimes limited. Website errors are frequent

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your website and add more jobs

Great!

Web Reviewer (Former Employee)
Bayawan (Philippines)

I worked at CloudCrowd as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt's easy and has good pay.

ConsSometimes they just run out of work

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really

Worked for CloudCrowd? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CloudCrowd reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CloudCrowd CEO Alex Edelstein. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by CloudCrowd employees.