Cloudera Reviews

Reset
4.6
Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Pros
  • More about "meaningful work: Cloudera is at the center of big data (in 6 reviews)

• We have great work-life balance and treat our employees like people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Cloudera is going through growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• gt; High expectations make it difficult to find work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I thought I would never find another culture like this...

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparency.. collaboration.. connection..personal growth.. and a reason to go to work every day beyond just cash or a possible IPO..What Cloudera is doing will affect every industry and is drastically changing how organizations learn from their data. This is fun because of the amazing talent here. It has been exciting to see many high potential prospects pass on larger roles at larger companies because of who is at Cloudera and what we are doing. I truly feel connected to my team which is global.

Cons

It is hard, hard, work. Everyone is "all in" which is great, but it can be exhausting. If you join, be prepared to run hard and run fast for a while..

Advice to Management

Cloudera has made significant strides in the last 6 months to build scalable processes that increase productivity but also balance the workloads among groups, versus individuals. Continue to increase this investment tools and systems that connect people.

Truly Exceptional Interview Process!

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic, positive culture. Opportunity to join a superstar, rapidly growing company. Great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any, unless you don't want to move to any of their office locations. However, Cloudera does have many remote offices, and the company is steadily opening new offices throughout the US and worldwide.

Advice to Management

You have established a fantastic interview and onboarding process. Your recruiters are also exceptional. Thank you for making my experience with Cloudera a truly positive one from Day 1.

Solutions Architect

Pros

Cloudera provides a fast paced, startup feel with an expanding an ground breaking technology. Pay and benefits are made to compete with other large tech companies such as facebook, amazon, google, etc.

Cons

Long hours with lots of travel. Many different products in the CDH stack to learn, nearly impossible to master them all.

Advice to Management

Keep true to the startup roots. Keep things fun and not too corporate. Really enjoy regular information sessions where there is the opportunity to ask questions and learn about how the company is performing.

5. cloudera review

Pros

Great culture, food, events, people. Fast growing company.

Cons

some growing pains, although nothing big.

Poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cloudera full-time

Pros

You will learn a lot working at Cloudera. This is a great company to have on your resume.

Cons

A lot... Home offices (San Francisco & Palo Alto) are really the only employees that enjoy and benefit from the company perks. Other offices do not receive free lunches or company sponsored parties. In addition they will not allow you fly in to participate. "Legacy" employees - anyone over or close to three years are hard to work with or complain about. It can be hard to grow if you're not in sales. Company moral seems to be low, and disorganized.

Advice to Management

Please train your managers before promoting them to senior roles. Employees under them shouldn't have to deal with their inexperience. All managers should know what the company offers to build team moral. There should be a way to get employee feedback of manager performance more than once a year.

Cloudera Review

Pros

Cloudera engineers, instructors and professional services people are excited about what they do. They're more than helpful and encouraging with questions because they understand that the more people we help accomplish their goals, the better we'll all do. Cloudera is a company that is engineering solutions to questions that customers are just now recognizing that they have. Therefore, everyone at Cloudera is more than happy to help me answer student questions honestly, from engineering to support to management. If you've ever worked at or with a company where you were afraid to suggest something or ask a "stupid" question, you'll be very pleased how you're treated as an employee or customer of Cloudera's.

Cons

Cloudera is moving so fast that there's often many ways that we can improve our own internal processes (or ditch them). We've recently "slowed down" a bit and are focusing on stability, and I think this will help very much in the long term.

Advice to Management

Be honest to employees and include them in every step of continuing as a company. Most employees have seen a rocket-fueled growth in all aspects. When there's disappointments or warning signs, then employees deserve to know these concerns, voice ideas for solving these concerns, and participate in all aspects of continuing Cloudera's leadership and success.

Software Engineer

Pros

Great people to work with, you'll come in every day and learn something new from an expert in the field. Amazing business opportunity. The benefits are good and the projects are challenging.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment which can be demanding at times.

Great place to work

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, intelligent coworkers, challenging environment, many opportunities to learn cutting edge technology, free lunches

Cons

Bonuses are clearly tied to overall comp, as such even though they are called performance bonuses, you may not get what you expect

Advice to Management

Really listen to employee ideas and also, create opportunities to promote from within!

10. Big data up close and personal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Incredibly fast growing, market leading company. Super smart, passionate engaged people. Sophisticated and interesting customers and partners. An extraordinary opportunity

Cons

There is so much opportunity at Cloudera that it can means lots of work. And it takes work to keep everyone well aligned

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a great job steering the ship. Continue keeping the troops aligned and focused on our key objectives.

Great company in innovative industry

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to many innovative technologies in big data and data science fields; contributions to open source are actively encouraged; great experience as an engineer or data scientist

Cons

Like many innovative startups, work/life balance leans heavily on the work side. Steep learning curve to come up to speed on all aspects of the stack

Advice to Management

Cloudera has a great culture of openness and accessibility to executive team. Continue to retain this as a key value as the company grows

RSS Feed </> Embed