Cloudera

Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly

Tom Reilly

Good place to work for in Bay Area

Tools Team Developer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood engineering team and good humble people

ConsLess pay and benefits could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more money on the employees! Give more spot bonus and make sure they are taken care of.

Awesome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood people
    Challenging work
    The right place to be at the start of your career.

ConsEverything seems just right. As long as it maintains the same set of core values, it's good to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on the same path

Best Place to work in all of Silicon Valley!

Sales Development Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Arguably the hottest company in the hottest space within all of enterprise tech
    - Smartest people you will ever meet work here. Just take a quick look at leadership board on the website!
    - Unmatched opportunity within Sales Org, growing at an amazing pace
    - Fast paced sales environment, no corporate hierarchy or bureaucracy to deal with that you would see at an Oracle type company
    - Best office perks around- laptop, amazing office locations, fully catered meals

ConsNot enough time in the day! You could also say its hard to retain all the top talent considering how hot the market is. Comp structure could be a bit more competitive as well but considering Cloudera has the pick of the litter it makes sense they may not always be the highest bidder...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in RnD as well as the culture of the company. Don't let it fade as growth continues at such rapid rates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing up fast

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat corporate culture and executives. Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with in industry. Very open and transparent.

ConsImprove onboarding and training program to ensure near term and short term expectations for new employees are occurring.

Experience of a lifetime

Sales Management (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsIncredible culture, smartest people in the idustry, product thats changing the world (curing cancer, feeding the world, fighting fraud, etc), revenue growth second to no other company in the valley

Consmanagement is not frivolous with money in the same some other startups are so no ipads for christmas, lavish parties, etc. Highly competitive market, very complex product. Hard to retain top talent given how hot big data is; cloudera is rarely the highest bidder from a comp perspective and does not have a great equity program.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster the amazing culture...

Mixed bag

ProsCloudera is the market leader in Big Data space

ConsEngineering management has become too political

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in innovative products

Hadoop there it is!

Sales (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros- The people!! Regardless of departments, the quality of people they've hired is incredible.
    - From a sales perspective, the variety of use cases for Hadoop keeps each day/phone call interesting.
    - Perks. Breakfast, lunch, coffee machines, a wall of snacks, commuter compensation, you name it.
    - Beautiful Offices in both Palo Alto and San Francisco
    - Incredible Opportunity to learn about the space, meet awesome people, and hone your skills

Cons- A very corporate mentality for a 5 year old "Startup" company.
    - Line of sight to growth/promotion is hazy
    - Market is ever changing and the competitive landscape is getting full.
    - Sometimes they feel like the Yankees. Instead of promoting within, they hire the best free agents!
    - Office Politics

Advice to Senior Management- Find alternative ways to motivate your employees, which in turn will keep them at Cloudera
    - Encourage interactions between departments
    - Keep bringing in good talent and the sky is the limit!

Once in a lifetime career experience!

Marketing (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsIt was the best job I ever had. I was so sad to leave but I was offered an amazing opportunity; an opportunity I would not have received had I not worked at Cloudera.

The people there are top-notch. They value their role in the company and everyone is so proud of the accomplishments that Cloudera makes. It truly is a team and they genuinely care for one another. Smart people doing amazing things.

Don't believe the bitter grapes you hear about this place. I'm a former employee and I LOVE Cloudera. If you put in high quality work, you're rewarded. Bad managers exist but the team I was on was blessed to have an amazing leader.

The culture is amazing. Free lunch, three weeks of PTO, etc. It's constantly improving. They really listen to employee feedback and try really hard to improve what you suggest.

There is a line out the door to work at this place. It's really a special place to work and I'll miss them dearly. If you get the chance to work here, do it.

ConsA startup growing up VERY quickly and becoming a bigger company. There will be growing pains but they roll through the punches.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. From the day I joined to the day I left, the company was growing in leaps and bounds so they're doing something right.

Best place I've ever worked!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood software engineers have lots of great places to work these days. Cloudera is definitely one of them. The engineering culture is extremely strong and there is a strong emphasis on remaining an independent company.

ConsI don't consider this a con, but you might. Cloudera doesn't waste money on things like in house bands, chef prepared lunches, flying the whole company somewhere, etc that you see from other startups.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore moonshots please!

Inspiring leadership and a world-class engineering team trying to change the world one petabyte at a time!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIn engineering, the scope is broad and there are many opportunities for responsibility, working in open source, presenting at conferences, and occasionally interacting with customers big-and-small directly. Not only is the technical team is world-class (many phds/abd's), the folks have strong communication skills, public personalities, and dedciated to getting it done.

ConsThe aren't very many opportunities for straight-out-of-undergrad junior engineering folks currently. Those who have joined straight out of undergrad have generally spent a summer as an intern, or have demonstrated skill by being active in relevant open source projects.

Worked for Cloudera? Contribute to the Community!