Cloudera

Updated February 27, 2015
4.7

Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Pros
  • More about "meaningful work: Cloudera is at the center of big data (in 6 reviews)

• We have great work-life balance and treat our employees like people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There are still a few growing pains, for example no pension scheme in EMEA (in 7 reviews)

• There is very little work-life balance but that is part of working at a successful start-up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

One word to describe the work experience at Cloudera...AWESOME.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Cloudera as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Chance to work w/ amazing people (spanning various departments and teams).
    Ideas, suggestions, creativity, innovation is heavily valued.
    Exposure to cutting technologies and projects.
    Strong growth potential (personal and career trajectory).
    Free food and flexibility.

Cons

Not any I can think of.

Management can provide a bit more guidance to hard-working contractor employees for more conversion opportunities.

Great company

I have been working at Cloudera

Pros

Excellent people, great culture, amazing growth.

Cons

Honestly, cannot think of cons.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Brilliant people, inspiring leadership

Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudera

Pros

Open and honest communication from leadership. Smart, dedicated, and collaborative people. If you're ready to work, there is great opportunity for growth within the company.

Cons

Complex technology and selling. If that isn't for you, look elsewhere.

Executive leadership is great

Great place to work

Current Employee - Somewhere In Finance&Accounting in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Somewhere In Finance&Accounting in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera

Pros

-Great culture of people who want to act and not delegate (and blame others)
    -Fun and relaxed atmosphere (Palo Alto)
    -Good in office perks (Palo Alto)
    -Exposure to different content everyday. Meeting with C-Level exec regularly
    -Transparency

Cons

-More resources are needed, or at least improve the current systems
    -Some benefits could be improved (401K matching)

Keep working hard and keep listening for great ideas within the company

Best job ever. And I've had a lot of jobs.

I have been working at Cloudera

Pros

Open culture of communication, untracked vacation, lots of individual trust, great technology, market leader in a new and booming market.

Cons

if rapid growth making things chaotic stresses you out, don't come. if having to manage yourself bothers you, don't bother.

You guys are doing great. Don't change.

Awesome place to work!!! By far my best career experience!

Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

I've worked in startups, mid-sized and large companies and Cloudera is by far the best experience. They have all the perks of a startup company, and yet all the stability of a large company. Absolutely love it. Upper management fuels the machine with experience and inspiration.

Cons

They spoil us too much that I don't know how it'll be to work for another company ;) But it's not a walk in the park either. We work hard and get rewarded appropriately.

Brilliant People, Dedicated Team

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Surround yourself with exceptional team members who are very knowledgable in their technical fields. Folks are more than willing to answer questions and help understand explain problems.

Cons

The culture places a very strong enphasis on time to first commit, which is probably a silly metric to use when measuring the speed at which somebody comes o nboard.

After 22 years, I'm working for The One.

Current Employee - Field Monkey in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Monkey in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture and energy at Cloudera is collegial, smart, informal and driven. It is a small, rapidly-growing company focused on trying to hire people we already know, which keeps things informal. Expectations are both reasonable and high, and the incentive to perform well comes in a number of ways. I like this company; I love the people who work for it.

Cons

Demand can be intense, and it can be hard to find work-life balance on a week-to-week basis. It's hard sometimes to feel like you're contributing as much as the next person. Sometimes the atmosphere can tend more towards sober and serious. Then again, the people here truly want to win at what they do.

Focus on personable, engaged, hands-on people in the middle. It's the human touch in a demanding environment that keeps your passionate people going. This advice is not an implicity complaint; just something I worry can get lost as we grow.

This place is the REAL DEAL for a Pre-IPO High tech start up with a long successful future a head

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been at Cloudera for just over a year as an Account Executive. Starting from the Sales Kick Off meeting in 2014 it was evident that there were lots of smart people and that they (we) were all having fun together. Very team oriented feel - celebrating lots of successes vs. the competition. For a relatively 'small' company that is Pre-IPO the executive staff are absolutely polished, professional, accomplished - AND approachable (Had a 20 minute informal chat 1:1 with Tom Reilly, CEO my first night). The new hire training was very challenging and excellent. I had been through IBM new hire training and Cisco Systems new hire training and this was on the same level of quality). I came out of the training very comfortable with the Cloudera, our position in the industry and how we are different from the competition, but more importantly why customers are gravitating to Cloudera over the competition.EVeryone from the CEO and sr. Staff as well as Engineering and Committers, Data Scientist, Consultants (who are frequently contributors or committers) and management from our WW Support organization are all available for customer meetings. The market for Hadoop is really heating up so I am looking forward to the future with the leader in Hadoop! This is a very cool and special time to be at Cloudera.

Cons

Any of the cons have been pretty much start up growing pains (Expense reporting system was poor - but have since switched and if is much easier and reliable to submit expenses). This underscores the feel of the company - being hyper focused on listening to customers and to employees and being committed to making changes to address challenges and continue building for the future.

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cloudera is an amazing company to work for. I have been at Cloudera for over three years and every year has been an experience. Cloudera is a company that truly respects its employees and their career aspirations, they promote internally and do not block cross team movement. The executive team is amazing to work with. The are not only supportive, but very accessible. I plan on staying at Cloudera for many years to come.

Cons

Cloudera has the same challenges you find at any fast moving company(I would like to say startup, but we are quite large now). The biggest downside to working at Cloudera is the growing pains. There is a lot of reorganization and employee structure movement as the company continues to grow. In the long run it will be for the best, but for the short term it adds some distraction from the day to day.