Cloudera

Updated December 8, 2014
4.6

Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

One word to describe the work experience at Cloudera...AWESOME.

I have been working at Cloudera as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Chance to work w/ amazing people (spanning various departments and teams).
    Ideas, suggestions, creativity, innovation is heavily valued.
    Exposure to cutting technologies and projects.
    Strong growth potential (personal and career trajectory).
    Free food and flexibility.

Cons

Not any I can think of.

Management can provide a bit more guidance to hard-working contractor employees for more conversion opportunities.

Fantastic opportunity!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

My reasons for working here: Meaningful work, personal and professional growth, contributes with great team, keeps me well-fed.

More about "meaningful work: Cloudera is at the center of big data. Big data represents a transformative technology trend that opens up new ways of doing business and discovering science. Speaking from an insider's view, all the hyped reports about big data are in fact *underestimating* its impact - big data actually represents a major step in scientific method, on par with past steps such as acceptance of quantitative measurement and multivariate statistics. We are seeing some of the emerging new science from fields such as health care and agriculture, but those are only a tiny tip of the iceberg. And organizations at the center of these scientific discoveries stand poised to immediately extract value and profit from them. Their data analysis platform vendors therefore stand to share these newly created value and likewise profit. Regardless of Cloudera's commercial success or failure, it is a once-in-a-lifetime type company in terms of bringing a very key technology to the world.

More about "great team": Cloudera's employees often are the best-in-the-industry at what they do. This goes for both engineering and non-engineering roles. Even at 800+ employees, the company remains small enough for engineering and non-engineering roles to regularly interact. This facilitates cross-functional, generalist type learning from the best. E.g., marketing and engineering working together to put out materials that's on-message and technically bulletproof, sales and engineering speaking side-by-side to address customer concerns and win competitive deals, recruiting and engineering working side-by-side to share excitement about a technology trend that's not yet fully appreciated in the popular press.

Still plenty of upside to stock valuation, even after many rounds of funding.

Alternate opportunities I declined: Many places I did not even interview at because I knew the company was already a bad fit. The eventual short list and the reasons I chose Cloudera over them: A post-IPO big data company targeting a specific industry vertical - Cloudera has a bigger addressable market. An established enterprise platform vendor - Cloudera is far more nimble and focused and ambitious. A media company looking to setup a big data shop - Cloudera allows me to be at the center of big data development vs at only the user/customer end.

Bonus: Dual headquarters in San Francisco and Palo Alto. The SF office still retains much of the quirky start-up atmosphere, with an entire floor painted in robot themes with robot names as conference rooms. There is also a game room with Guitar Hero and Xbox and many board games and a collection of cat pictures. The PA office has a totally gorgeous pond with fountains and water lilies and surrounded by willow trees and frequented by ducks. Many lunches and refreshing walks and productive meetings took place around there.

Cons

Cloudera is going through growing pains. There are some politics and unhelpful staring contests. On the bright side, upper management is enlightened enough to try to fix it, and the rank-and-file is resourceful enough to skirt around it.

Watch the company culture. It is at constant risk of becoming stale too quickly. Have open channels to the rank-and-file, and appropriately reward and censure.

Watch the compensation with peers. Cloudera is constantly competing for talent with major tech companies who are ever willing to match and exceed compensation, including current value on stock. Cloudera's unique position and the teams' commitment and idealism does help with talent retention, but it is no secret that Cloudera's employees are sought after and can dictate compensation elsewhere.

Keep on leading by example. The personal examples of the upper management are observed and noted. Their day-to-day openness, humbleness, dedication, willingness to admit fault and share praise, all go a long way towards setting up the company for long term success.

There's no other company I'd rather work for right now

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cloudera is just an outstandingly solid company. From the very beginning, the company has always taken itself very seriously and behaved very maturely. The company is super ethical and cares about the success of its customers. The executive team is awesome. I trust Tom, Mike, Jim, and Amr implicitly. Jim may just be my favorite executive ever.

With the outrageous growth trajectory that we're on, there is an endless amount of opportunity within the company to take on new roles and responsibilities. If a problem needs to be fixed, you go fix it. The people are excellent and the culture is respectful and accepting. We have great work-life balance and treat our employees like people.

And then there's the fact that Cloudera is leading the charge in the big data revolution. We're not just trying to launch a successful business. We're fundamentally changing the way whole industries store and interact with their data. The potential impact afforded to us as employees of Cloudera is huge. We're in a fast-moving and exciting space, and we're in the catbird seat. It just doesn't get more fun and exciting than that. And did I mention that we just took a billion in funding? That's the largest investment round for a private software company in history. It's good to be us.

If it's not clear, I love Cloudera. When I left my last job, I swore I wasn't going to stay anywhere else more than 2 years. I passed that mark 2 years ago with Cloudera, and I'm still here. This company is going to knock it out of the park, and I'm having a blast being a part of making it happen.

Cons

I have two quibbles with Cloudera. The first is that the company has not historically been very liberal with options. That's starting to change, but for most folks with whom I've discussed it, the initial grant is still the vast majority of their shares. The second is that the company takes a very conservative approach to marketing. Where some of our competitors crow about every tiny success they have, we occasionally fail to take credit for major accomplishments. It's good that we're nurturing credibility by speaking softly and carrying a large stick, but I'd really like to see us being a little more forward. Beyond those two things, I really don't have much complain about.

Break out the golden handcuffs. Retaining employees who've fully vested their initial grant should be a priority. Be more aggressive about winning/keeping the developer community. Be a little louder with our marketing. Stay hungry, and stay humble.

The atmosphere of a start up with the opportunities of an rapidly growing company.

Current Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Cloudera is the caliber of people. Everyone I work with is above par in their field and passionate about what they are working on. No matter your role in the company everyone is very approachable and I appreciate being part of a flat organization.

Another amazing thing about this company is the opportunities that are available to you. My bosses are always open to new ideas and support me while working on something new. I love being challenged everyday.

Cons

There is very little work-life balance but that is part of working at a successful start-up. I have the freedom to take time off but I wish there was more push from the management for work-life balance.

I think we need to spend more money on SWAG and the atmosphere/culture. I feel like employees would positively respond to a more inviting work environment.

Solve hard problems with great people

Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have never worked with smarter or more driven people. That knowledge and drive is needed to help our customers solve the problems they are facing. We cover customers ranging from Financial, Medical, Retail, Agriculture, Ecommerce, Technology, and Media just to name a few. The chance to be part of the team that helps such a wide variety of environments use ALL of their data to do things they never thought possible is a unique one. Coming to work here is never boring.

Cons

As with any company experiencing hyper growth, there can be growing pains along the way. We have run out of space a couple times and getting conference room can sometimes feel like you’ve won a gold medal (aside from No Meeting Wednesdays when they are ample). Thankfully we are expanding in both our Palo Alto and San Francisco.

Cloudera Response

Nov 1, 2014Operations Specialist

With our rapid hiring, finding enough room for all the great employees is always a challenge! Thankfully, the new building in Palo Alto will be opening up very soon!

One of the best places I've ever worked

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Open culture with top notch talent. I've worked at some of the most well known technology companies in the world and Cloudera ranks up there with the best of them when it comes to the talent bar. You know it's a high bar when you regularly hang out with people who are well known, industry recognized experts. Start up culture so not too heavy on process/policy. Freedom to be yourself and help the company grow. I always feel like I'm contributing and having an impact. Leadership is open to feedback and gives regular all hands meetings where they share the strategy/vision.

Cons

Growing so fast I don't know everyone anymore! It used to be that I knew everyone...but that's quickly changing. We're growing internationally as well, which is exciting.

Keep the start up culture and allow employees to be themselves and express themselves. We're not Oracle and we don't ever want to be.

Full Speed Ahead!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cloudera is growing up strong and fast! We have quickly emerged as the leader in enterprise data analytics, and have amazing partnerships with companies like Intel, Microsoft, EMC, Redhat, and Terradata all counting on our continued success.

This rapid growth and new found credibility makes Cloudera a very exciting place to work. Each day is a challenge to raise the bar even higher, and Clouderans are extremely passionate abut ensuring our continued success. This is a fast paced, dynamic, full throttle type of environment. You definitely will not get bored working here.

The culture is relaxed an easy going. There are no offices, so all management sits on the floor with everyone else. The executive team and upper level managers are very approachable and really seem to care about their employees. Cloudera is also putting an extra emphasis on it's culture by starting to host monthly happy hours, team outings, hackathons, and other fun social events. A few key leaders are very invested in creating and keeping a great culture which gives hope for continued success in this area.

Cons

Cloudera is a work hard play hard type of environment with an emphasis on work hard. We have fun and enjoy each others company, but expect to put in long hours. Upper management is passionate and right there in the trenches with you which makes the tough work manageable.

Hold on to the startup roots and don't become corporate too quickly.

Cloudera Response

Nov 1, 2014Operations Specialist

Maintaining a great culture is key for us! Cloudera will work hard to ensure our employees continuing to love coming to work!

Exciting place to be

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

The people here are top notch - smart, kind, hardworking, transparent and focused
    The product and potential is incredible and stands apart from what's on the market. Cloudera has the best folks in the industry and some of the smartest technical sellers there are. Cloudera has a distributed workforce and does virtual remarkably well with tools to communicate AND a culture at HQ that is flexible to other timezones (this is actually hard to find, especially at tech companies and any stage start-up).
    It's a really exciting time to be there with a focus on growth and scale - complex, dynamic and meaningful business problems exist at all levels in every business function. What more can I say!?

Cons

With major growth come expected challenges - this is a later stage start-up with a range of folks on the team with varying backgrounds. There are different challenges in new markets and it will be important to learn from more developed markets. With growth also comes the need for strong management so they have a lot ahead including investing in manager development and scaling. Not cons per say - just the reality of being successful and moving along the trajectory of growth. To continue to be competitive for talent they will need to be very thoughtful and open about where they are investing (perks, culture etc).

Chance of a lifetime

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well over a year and I'm still loving it.

Relentless Innovation
    Focus on customer success
    Strength and ability of your entire team
    Knowing we're making something big
    Clear objectives and vision
    Fun

Cons

The art of the possible moves all the time.
    Keeping up with the pace of innovation
    Market education
    Interesting dynamic between free & paid versions.

All systems go!

It's been great

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work culture is fantastic. I have worked here for over 2 years and I get to work on cool, open source technologies. What's the best is that I get to contribute to the direction of the company by helping in evaluating new tools and technologies that we want to bring in as a part of our distribution in the long run - and I am still an engineer, writing code everyday.

Cons

We have an unlimited vacation policy. I know some people who haven't taken much vacation but I personally take ~3 weeks of vacation a year.