Cloudera

Updated December 8, 2014
4.6

Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Not as good as it is made to sound

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudera

Pros

sells open source
    challenging problems to solve, but not unique

Cons

hardly any investment in r&d and new projects recently
    lacks managers that truly understand growth
    very little growth, dont be fooled from what they say

look inside

Great place work work!

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

- People are very smart
    - Leading company in Big Data space
    - First company to commercialize Hadoop
    - Everyone is friendly and humble
    - Well funded
    - Competitive salary
    - Decent Perks

Cons

- Growing pains with any startup
    - Some attrition
    - Facilities are ok
    - Benefits are decent

Let the employees personalize the office

Good

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cloudera (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are good , projects are very useful ,perks,office culture

Cons

leaves,leadership,management,growth,stress is very high, no personal life balance

training

One word to describe the work experience at Cloudera...AWESOME.

I have been working at Cloudera as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Chance to work w/ amazing people (spanning various departments and teams).
    Ideas, suggestions, creativity, innovation is heavily valued.
    Exposure to cutting technologies and projects.
    Strong growth potential (personal and career trajectory).
    Free food and flexibility.

Cons

Not any I can think of.

Management can provide a bit more guidance to hard-working contractor employees for more conversion opportunities.

Momentous and exciting experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of pros to working at Cloudera. Over the last year, I have experienced "start-up culture" in almost every single way while I've been here. More than any other skill that I've learned in the last year, Cloudera has really taught me how to "go with the flow" and improvise when needed. The day I fell in love with the company was a day that Tom Reilly came down to chat with my team over lunch. In that conversation, our CEO told us that he wants Cloudera to be a place where people "do what they think is best and ask for forgiveness later." That is still very true here and is probably one of the main reasons I've stayed at Cloudera for so long (in the start-up world).

Cons

The few negative things that have impacted my opinion/impression of Cloudera have more to do with structure than any single person or experience. Although things tend to happen very quickly here, important change can take a really long time while internal teams debate budgets and other issues. Cloudera boasts that it is a place where "titles don't matter" but there is actually an obvious hierarchy within the organization. This becomes most apparent when important change and support is needed quickly. Another negative I've heard echoed throughout is the way that contracted workers are treated, though I'm not contracted and am not exactly sure what they mean by that.

If I could give Cloudera one piece of advice, I would say, "loosen up and live a little. Take some bigger risks...really Ask Bigger Questions." Listen to your employees and try to engage with them a little more. We all have ideas that could end up being really valuable to this company.

Fantastic opportunity!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

My reasons for working here: Meaningful work, personal and professional growth, contributes with great team, keeps me well-fed.

More about "meaningful work: Cloudera is at the center of big data. Big data represents a transformative technology trend that opens up new ways of doing business and discovering science. Speaking from an insider's view, all the hyped reports about big data are in fact *underestimating* its impact - big data actually represents a major step in scientific method, on par with past steps such as acceptance of quantitative measurement and multivariate statistics. We are seeing some of the emerging new science from fields such as health care and agriculture, but those are only a tiny tip of the iceberg. And organizations at the center of these scientific discoveries stand poised to immediately extract value and profit from them. Their data analysis platform vendors therefore stand to share these newly created value and likewise profit. Regardless of Cloudera's commercial success or failure, it is a once-in-a-lifetime type company in terms of bringing a very key technology to the world.

More about "great team": Cloudera's employees often are the best-in-the-industry at what they do. This goes for both engineering and non-engineering roles. Even at 800+ employees, the company remains small enough for engineering and non-engineering roles to regularly interact. This facilitates cross-functional, generalist type learning from the best. E.g., marketing and engineering working together to put out materials that's on-message and technically bulletproof, sales and engineering speaking side-by-side to address customer concerns and win competitive deals, recruiting and engineering working side-by-side to share excitement about a technology trend that's not yet fully appreciated in the popular press.

Still plenty of upside to stock valuation, even after many rounds of funding.

Alternate opportunities I declined: Many places I did not even interview at because I knew the company was already a bad fit. The eventual short list and the reasons I chose Cloudera over them: A post-IPO big data company targeting a specific industry vertical - Cloudera has a bigger addressable market. An established enterprise platform vendor - Cloudera is far more nimble and focused and ambitious. A media company looking to setup a big data shop - Cloudera allows me to be at the center of big data development vs at only the user/customer end.

Bonus: Dual headquarters in San Francisco and Palo Alto. The SF office still retains much of the quirky start-up atmosphere, with an entire floor painted in robot themes with robot names as conference rooms. There is also a game room with Guitar Hero and Xbox and many board games and a collection of cat pictures. The PA office has a totally gorgeous pond with fountains and water lilies and surrounded by willow trees and frequented by ducks. Many lunches and refreshing walks and productive meetings took place around there.

Cons

Cloudera is going through growing pains. There are some politics and unhelpful staring contests. On the bright side, upper management is enlightened enough to try to fix it, and the rank-and-file is resourceful enough to skirt around it.

Watch the company culture. It is at constant risk of becoming stale too quickly. Have open channels to the rank-and-file, and appropriately reward and censure.

Watch the compensation with peers. Cloudera is constantly competing for talent with major tech companies who are ever willing to match and exceed compensation, including current value on stock. Cloudera's unique position and the teams' commitment and idealism does help with talent retention, but it is no secret that Cloudera's employees are sought after and can dictate compensation elsewhere.

Keep on leading by example. The personal examples of the upper management are observed and noted. Their day-to-day openness, humbleness, dedication, willingness to admit fault and share praise, all go a long way towards setting up the company for long term success.

There's no other company I'd rather work for right now

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cloudera is just an outstandingly solid company. From the very beginning, the company has always taken itself very seriously and behaved very maturely. The company is super ethical and cares about the success of its customers. The executive team is awesome. I trust Tom, Mike, Jim, and Amr implicitly. Jim may just be my favorite executive ever.

With the outrageous growth trajectory that we're on, there is an endless amount of opportunity within the company to take on new roles and responsibilities. If a problem needs to be fixed, you go fix it. The people are excellent and the culture is respectful and accepting. We have great work-life balance and treat our employees like people.

And then there's the fact that Cloudera is leading the charge in the big data revolution. We're not just trying to launch a successful business. We're fundamentally changing the way whole industries store and interact with their data. The potential impact afforded to us as employees of Cloudera is huge. We're in a fast-moving and exciting space, and we're in the catbird seat. It just doesn't get more fun and exciting than that. And did I mention that we just took a billion in funding? That's the largest investment round for a private software company in history. It's good to be us.

If it's not clear, I love Cloudera. When I left my last job, I swore I wasn't going to stay anywhere else more than 2 years. I passed that mark 2 years ago with Cloudera, and I'm still here. This company is going to knock it out of the park, and I'm having a blast being a part of making it happen.

Cons

I have two quibbles with Cloudera. The first is that the company has not historically been very liberal with options. That's starting to change, but for most folks with whom I've discussed it, the initial grant is still the vast majority of their shares. The second is that the company takes a very conservative approach to marketing. Where some of our competitors crow about every tiny success they have, we occasionally fail to take credit for major accomplishments. It's good that we're nurturing credibility by speaking softly and carrying a large stick, but I'd really like to see us being a little more forward. Beyond those two things, I really don't have much complain about.

Break out the golden handcuffs. Retaining employees who've fully vested their initial grant should be a priority. Be more aggressive about winning/keeping the developer community. Be a little louder with our marketing. Stay hungry, and stay humble.

The atmosphere of a start up with the opportunities of an rapidly growing company.

Current Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Cloudera is the caliber of people. Everyone I work with is above par in their field and passionate about what they are working on. No matter your role in the company everyone is very approachable and I appreciate being part of a flat organization.

Another amazing thing about this company is the opportunities that are available to you. My bosses are always open to new ideas and support me while working on something new. I love being challenged everyday.

Cons

There is very little work-life balance but that is part of working at a successful start-up. I have the freedom to take time off but I wish there was more push from the management for work-life balance.

I think we need to spend more money on SWAG and the atmosphere/culture. I feel like employees would positively respond to a more inviting work environment.

Solve hard problems with great people

Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have never worked with smarter or more driven people. That knowledge and drive is needed to help our customers solve the problems they are facing. We cover customers ranging from Financial, Medical, Retail, Agriculture, Ecommerce, Technology, and Media just to name a few. The chance to be part of the team that helps such a wide variety of environments use ALL of their data to do things they never thought possible is a unique one. Coming to work here is never boring.

Cons

As with any company experiencing hyper growth, there can be growing pains along the way. We have run out of space a couple times and getting conference room can sometimes feel like you’ve won a gold medal (aside from No Meeting Wednesdays when they are ample). Thankfully we are expanding in both our Palo Alto and San Francisco.

Cloudera Response

Nov 1, 2014Operations Specialist

With our rapid hiring, finding enough room for all the great employees is always a challenge! Thankfully, the new building in Palo Alto will be opening up very soon!

One of the best places I've ever worked

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Open culture with top notch talent. I've worked at some of the most well known technology companies in the world and Cloudera ranks up there with the best of them when it comes to the talent bar. You know it's a high bar when you regularly hang out with people who are well known, industry recognized experts. Start up culture so not too heavy on process/policy. Freedom to be yourself and help the company grow. I always feel like I'm contributing and having an impact. Leadership is open to feedback and gives regular all hands meetings where they share the strategy/vision.

Cons

Growing so fast I don't know everyone anymore! It used to be that I knew everyone...but that's quickly changing. We're growing internationally as well, which is exciting.

Keep the start up culture and allow employees to be themselves and express themselves. We're not Oracle and we don't ever want to be.