Cloudera Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
4.6

Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Dynamic start-up, great team, excellent product & market leaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As market leaders, everybody wants to talk to Cloudera about their Hadoop solution. The product is excellent and is the team behind it do amazing work to keep it at the front of the pack. There is a real buzz inside the company,and the wider team is brilliant. Everybody who works here is the best at what they do, which makes Cloudera a great place to work

Cons

There are still a few growing pains, for example no pension scheme in EMEA. Sometimes rigid processes and structure make for an efficient working environment - they're not established in other regions (yet) as they are in the US, but that's improving all the time.

Great company to work for in the tech industry

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started working at Cloudera in April and I really enjoy my time here. It's a great company to work for and the business is very fast-growing, so it is always really busy, but it's so good for a young employee to gain experience. There are many opportunities to put your hands on and to get involved. Plus my managers support me in many ways to improve my skills and knowledge.

Moreover, right from the start, I really liked my team and felt very welcome. Everyone is really friendly and supportive. Compared to other companies, here is a great team spirit in my opinion. Achievements or even private news always get acknowledged by the whole team which I really like as it makes the team stronger.

So all in all, I am very satisfied and there was never a day I didn't want to go to work as I really like my job and my colleagues.

Cons

Only thing is: No pension scheme

Great experience so far

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its been a little over a month here, and Cloudera's been very good for me so far. The facilities and the onsite perks for employees are very good and are better than most, if not all, valley companies. The culture of work is very open, and people are willing to help you onboard as well as spend time handling critiques when seeing things with a new perspective.

Cons

Growing fast, a lot of hiring across all areas, so there are certainly some growing pains with communication/information dissemination, and feeling directly connected to the whole, especially if you are new and haven't waded through the rivers of Hadoop prior.

Great Experience!

Current Employee - Professional Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people
    Hard working culture
    Common goal of greatness
    The technology is the future of big data
    Management is interested in your success
    Everyone is dedicated to helping each other be successful
    Amazing customers who want to embrace the product
    OnBoarding and Support teams have their stuff together and make it easy to start working here
    Training is available and you are encouraged to get educated
    Time off is really time off and not just away on your cell phone all the time

Cons

Hyper growth means a busy life working at Cloudera, this is not a place for the slackers

Keep doing what you are doing and encouraging everyone to be learn, teach, support, and grow.

Nice company

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

changing the world, dataset per dataset.

Cons

super fast growing brings some hr issues, but it's understandable.

keep up the good work

Where Awesome Works

Current Employee - Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

> Amazing people across every line of business (engineering, support, services, marketing, sales, finance and HR)
    > Outstanding executive management that has as much character as they do vision
    > Powerful, disruptive and open technology that will forever change the software industry
    > Great culture based on individual fulfillment and customer success
    > Investors that do way more than just give us money
    > I'm in sales and this company has always compensated me fairly
    > I love our founders!

Cons

> High expectations make it difficult to find work/life balance. That said, I've learned it's up to the individual to control that, not the company they work for. Cloudera has always supported my efforts to create this balance.
    > With rapid growth, new layers of management are now required to scale. This changes certain dynamics, but Cloudera has done a good job thus far.

> Preserve our culture
    > Be bold. Singles and doubles matter, but don't be afraid to occasionally swing for the fences.

Once in a lifetime experience

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

WIth Cloudera, you get the best of both worlds - the fast pace, innovative world of a start-up, but with the funding and talent that allows the company to have a bigger impact on the next generation of data technology than most of the large legacy IT vendors.

Cons

The company is moving so fast that the work level is high. However, the team is really aligned so it does not feel excessive.

Excellent !!

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent talent pool, good perks and clear outlook for the company. Inspite of stiff competition, Cloudera is and will continue to be the market leader in the Big Data space. As a brand, Cloudera is worth the hype.

Cons

Very stiff competition in the big data segment, need a much more defining/attractive differentiators from the rest of the companies in this space

Used to be great, now watered down talent pool, uncertain future vs Hortonworks Apache Open Source

I worked at Cloudera full-time

Pros

1. Training (might be a bit less now as they don't want guys leaving to become consultants!)
    2. Looks good on your Resume, opens doors to better paying jobs (if you're experienced you can go straight to those jobs however)
    3. Free lunches delivered from waiter.com - you don't leave office for $13 ;)
    4. Decent wages but good guys earn better elsewhere, which is why they've ended up hiring guys with little or no Hadoop experience now.
    5. Still good core engineering on the west cost which are great to work with - smart move would be to poach those developers as the company itself doesn't contain much unique value aside from them - a few of the veterans have moved on already...

Cons

1. Tough market competition, slipping position as Apache Foundation open source catches up thanks to Hortonworks. I was surprised how widespread pro-Hortonworks sentiment was by comparison after I left Cloudera, Cloudera's self serving attitude is driving appetite for Hortonworks.

2. The company attitude has been described as "arrogant" by more than one of my ex-colleagues.

3. Poor hiring - Cloudera are hiring people with no Hadoop experience. Yes you read that right. ZERO HADOOP EXPERIENCE. They don't even get asked Hadoop questions in interview since they have no experience, that's how ridiculous it's become.

Lots of ex-Oracle employees in Cloudera now, it's become an old boys club in some parts where friends are hired in through the back door, regardless of them not having any Hadoop or Big Data experience at all.

4. Rank / Titles messed up - newbies have same titles as hardened Hadoop veterans, managers with less experience than their subordinates - you know it's bad when even someone from another department asks
    you how X got promoted to "manager" with less experience than subordinate Y, must have been drinking the...

5. Kool Aid - "company loyalty" / brand religious culture, partly caused by insecurity in the fast changing marketplace where there's now little market differentiation to warrant such an over-priced (2-3x) semi-proprietary product vs the fully open source HW. Far too much hype.

6. Work life balance - Good luck with that. It's a heavily labor intensive business, one of the reasons Cloudera can't afford all the perks that some other people have mentioned on glassdoor.

7. All Hype - nobody is making money in the big data vendor space even after 5-6 years, nor in any of the related 3rd party products from what I've surveyed, and products are becoming obsoleted year-on-year before they've even been monetized.

8. Complaining that Hortonworks isn't building a sustainable business because they charge less and hoping they fold isn't a great strategy since there is no sign of that happening, if anything they only seem to pick up momentum and improve product in open source under Apache Foundation. What if HW keep going? How will Cloudera manage to compete with virtually the same product but 100% open source and at 1/2 or 1/3 the price? Vendor-lock in with the proprietary Cloudera Manager, Navigator? Most of the experienced users of this space come from open source and don't want proprietary...

9. Lack of Vision and Innovation - they allowed Hortonworks to drive and complete Yarn without interest which has now become the next generation platform - relegating all Hadoop vendors to just commoditized infrastructure, not a premium offering, it's all about Yarn Apps now. Spark also obsoletes Hadoop MapReduce, Databricks invented Spark, so given the 2 most important frameworks in the ecosystem were invented elsewhere it feels like Cloudera has lost it's leadership edge.

10. Fractured culture internally - pro vs anti-Apache Foundation groups, as a result some components not released to Apache, increasingly it feels like Cloudera is not the open source darling it once was, and as it veers away from Apache it loses support. Apache is "just marketing" to Cloudera according to one manager.

Increase salaries, be more strongly selective with hiring and promotion.

Put all components in Apache Foundation or become a legacy vendor.

Good place to work for in Bay Area

Current Employee - Tools Team Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Tools Team Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good engineering team and good humble people

Cons

Less pay and benefits could be better

Spend more money on the employees! Give more spot bonus and make sure they are taken care of.