Club Z! Tutoring Reviews

1 Rating

1. Prompt, respectful and gives respect to tutors

Current Employee - Math and Science Tutor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Math and Science Tutor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Club Z! Tutoring part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Organized and professional. The director is cognizant of tutors and also respects them. When there is a no show; the director will stand up for the tutor to be paid.

Cons

- need to adapt to the electronic format for submitting lesson reviews

2. Relatively rewarding, not enough hours

Former Employee - Area Coordinator/In-home Tutor in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Area Coordinator/In-home Tutor in Orange, CA

I worked at Club Z! Tutoring

Pros

The work is based on your availability.

Cons

Oftentimes new tutors do not get nearly as many tutees to support a healthy lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Distribute clients more evenly and intelligently.

3. Bad management, no support

Current Contractor - Tutor in Imperial, CA
    Current Contractor - Tutor in Imperial, CA

I have been working at Club Z! Tutoring as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros about this company. none, stay away from them.

Cons

Hard to complete paperwork to get paid. No support from management. If a student is a no show you do not get paid. No money for gas or prep time. My manager was unable to meet me for support or turn in required paperwork. Parents of students don't care becuase the state pays for the tutoring not them. Pay is $20 per hour. Very hard to get more than four hours a week. Taxed as independent contractor instead of normal rate. Do not work for them unless you are desperate for work.

Advice to Management

Train tutors how to fill out the paperwork. Answer questions from employees.

5. Its okay

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Club Z! Tutoring

Pros

Nice to have someone to stand up for you when your student does a no-show. Very good flexibility, almost no oversight once you're started so you are really your own boss. Also, students are told from the start that consistency is expected, so you don't have to worry too much about cancellations.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive and there is no opportunities to advance in pay (unless you demand it). Decent place to start but I suggest trying to find your own students because the pay is twice as much.

I get 25 an hour, was offered 30 by another ClubZ that was a bit further away. I am a current college student studying engineering with a little bit of tutoring experience prior to ClubZ. I believe they are charging around 50-60 per hour, so it feels pretty unfair since they don't do any work beyond the initial finding of the student. They really should have pay increases for tutors that have been around for a while and are performing well.

The other nice thing about your own students is that you get paid on the spot and sometimes get bonuses. ClubZ pays biweekly and leaves you responsible for paying the taxes. Also no compensation for gas or driving time, but that is pretty common.

No compensation/incentive to prepare lesson plans, so I never do.

Advice to Management

Give more incentives for tutors! Working for ClubZ has not been rewarding and it doesn't feel like a partnership since I do all the work and never interact with my employer.

I know this is an issue for the company already, since my employer was very concerned about tutors leaving when I was hired.

6. Not as represented

Former Contractor - Academic Tutor in Plano, TX
    Former Contractor - Academic Tutor in Plano, TX

I worked at Club Z! Tutoring as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, variable days if variability is attractive.

Cons

My interview contact was misleading about compensation and very vague about terms of employment. I would have a much higher opinion of the company if they would have been more honest and clear up front.

I would strongly advise all potential tutors to consider time in preparation, driving, and inevitable time lost beginning and ending sessions as well as the fact that you are considered and "independent contractor" responsible for your own taxes at a much higher rate than regular salary income with more complex tax filing requirements along with compensation. It is very difficult to make any sort of living this way even if the hourly rate seems appealing at first, and preparation always takes more time and effort than seems likely at first. Ask lots of questions up front and find out exactly what the rate is for the assignment you are most likely to get, don't take "each assignment is different, we won't know until you're matched" for an answer or accept a large range instead of a specific number. Also be aware that you are expected to tutor over all breaks or make up the cancelled sessions in the same month. This is really difficult for the busy families that hire tutors to arrange.

Advice to Management

This company is run as a series of local franchises. I have not seen anything that upper management has to do with actual tutors, the local management seems fairly autonomous, though they may be bound by national policies an procedures.

7. Great opportunity

Former Contractor - Tutor in Louisville, KY
    Former Contractor - Tutor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Club Z! Tutoring as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at Club Z for just a few months shy of two years. Excellent opportunity to obtain reliable part-time work. Having worked as a self-employed tutor, there's a lot of benefit in having an area manager who can engage in larger scale marketing efforts, as doing so on a small scale can be not only time consuming but fail to elicit leads. Additionally, education essentially needs a third party to serve as an intermediary and reduce the anxiety of having an unknown person come into the home.

Hours are obviously what you set up with your client, and as you have full autonomy to set up lesson plans and scheduling as you want (so long as you manage the expectations of the students you are given), you have a broad swath of freedom. Emotionally can be challenging, but rewarding as well, as to be expected with the struggling student you obtain who is very far behind.

Cons

Turnover can be wildly inconsistent, which can make it difficult to ever rely on the payment stream you get from it. Also, the commission based structure is fine, but it would be nice if tutors who had a long service record or did an excellent job recruiting or retaining clients were allow to keep more of their pay.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for tutors to earn more by showing a commitment to their students and providing great instructional service over time.

8. Very dedicated contract-company who truly cares about the learning successes of students.

Current Contractor - Tutor in Geneva, IL
    Current Contractor - Tutor in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Club Z! Tutoring as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Area director works hard along side of myself to make a schedule work for a family and their student. Goals are set up, and monitored strongly between student, family, tutor, and area director. Pay is good.

Cons

Non have come up yet.

Advice to Management

No problems have risen yet to suggest on.

9. Love working with students and families.

Current Employee - Tutor in Yucca Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Yucca Valley, CA

I have been working at Club Z! Tutoring part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Got a close look at some challenges lower-income families struggle with.....which effected the ability to learn for some younger students.

Cons

Never meeting face-to-face with those to whom I reported.

Advice to Management

Had to back-up hard copies of reports with hard-to-use software spreadsheet.

10. Professional and Efficient

Current Contractor - At-home Tutor in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Contractor - At-home Tutor in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Club Z! Tutoring as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed not being hounded by supervisors. If you complete your timesheets, progress reports, and other documentation timely, you truly feel like your own boss. You also get to make your own hours with the parents.

Cons

No guaranteed minimum number of hours. Some weeks can only be 5hrs a week! Great for supplemental income, but definitely not a 9-5 career job.

Advice to Management

Offer more hours!

11. I got good experience. Different charters /families ,but the same purpose is children are cute and they wanted to learn.

Current Employee - Representative/Tutor in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Representative/Tutor in Union City, CA

I have been working at Club Z! Tutoring part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love to work with the children and teaching is my family legacy. The parents are so much hope on their children to get better I would like to fulfill their wish. . The coordinator I worked with was very helpful with my teaching requirements.

Cons

The pay wasn't no great. But I am happy to do this job. I would considered if I can save my driving time I will do more time in tutoring. Hoping get my tutoring area is a within 10 miles radius from my house next year .

Advice to Management

Thanks for provide the teaching material in time. But please let me know the tutoring hours per student exactly before
    starting the lesson.