ClubCorp

Updated March 4, 2015
2.6

ClubCorp President and CEO Eric L. Affeldt
Eric L. Affeldt

Pros
  • Great people to work with, fun environment, good members, and free golf (in 7 reviews)

• Working for a company that has country clubs and golf courses is always a plus (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, with an attitude of "if you don't like it, you can leave" (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, horrible benefits, computer systems are a joke, no raises for even top performers in over six years (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Was Great at first then went horrible and downhill

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Anthem, AZ
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Anthem, AZ

I worked at ClubCorp

Pros

I worked at anthem country club in anthem az, the club is good. People I worked with were awesome and all got along and was nice.

Cons

Upper management has no clue and should have positions they are in! Had crazy ideas to improve club and events but didn't realize what those would cause or how they would backfire! Never promoted or gave raises to the great, hard working employees. Gave promotions, raises to the crappy, lazy ones. hard working employees would either get in trouble or written up or flat out fired! Was a part time employee but worked well over 40+ hours

Promote the hard workers and leave the lazy POS works to screw up. Listen to employees instead of thinking your right and tell the employees how to do there job when they know very very well how to do there job

Clubcorp was a challenging company to work for, it often lacked direction, but the core company has potential.

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Director
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Director

I worked at ClubCorp

Pros

The company has strong core clubs, needs to focus on those and divest nonperforming assets. Reasonable perks - free golf, free or discounted food.

Cons

Lacked a good training system. Many legacy employees. Unfair expectations for some positions, 70 hour work weeks were expected, 80 hours was not uncommon. Questionable compensation practices - though this area was improving.

Many of your locations are very seasonal, investing in regional support staff that can focus on a quality training process would pay dividends for member satisfaction, employee morale, and decreased turnover and in turn long term profit growth.

The staff has become like a family to me.

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time

Pros

Hours and work life balance, opportunity for advancement, friendly environment, great membership and hard working staff

Cons

Pay scale needs to be reviewed. New employees earn more than tenured employees for lower positions. Accounting runs this business too stringently.

Review operations from a line level and not from a corporate office. What looks good on paper does not always work logistically.

Absolutely Terrible

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at ClubCorp part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay,often above average for competitive market, opportunities for advancement, and decent members so customer service is a breeze... most of the time.

Cons

Favoritism is outrageous. Employees were given positions over more qualified employees based on their status as a member, employees were given positions over more qualified employees by knowing the bosses or knowing parts of their family. Absolutely no reprimand for bad behavior and absolutely zero structure. Employees are thrown into their positions with no training and are expected to know exactly what to do. Senior management always moves, never stays for longer than three years, making it difficult to build relationships and have standards when it comes to how work is completed.

Be fair. Be better. Stop hiring members as employees it is a major conflict of interest. Watch clubs more closely, the "surprise" visits do not work. Notice errors yourself before you reprimand, do not do it on account of what you hear. Train your employees better and stop hiring within your inner circle; employees notice it and it makes the club look bad to potential employees. Keep senior staff around if they have good status and people like them; do not move them because they might make you more money elsewhere; if they are doing well there, keep them there!

Clubcorp

I worked at ClubCorp

Pros

Great work environment and employees.

Cons

Management structure needs much improvement.

Need better management from top down

good place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA

I have been working at ClubCorp

Pros

best place to work at because they are flexible to your schedule especially if you are in college

Cons

no salary increase even after working for more than 5 years

take care of your employees

Take care of your employees and they will feel like partners. This is key to keeping members.

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Networking and building friendships with members which leads to better opportunities.

Cons

Completely missing the boat on treatment of employees. You are made to feel like you are easily replaced with another warm body. Department heads, managers and regionals are only concerned with his or her bonus. You have to get a promotion to get a raise. No personal growth. Very expensive health insurance. Lean staffing most of the time. Disorganized.

Value your employees. Don't make "acquired" employees feel less than by offering bogus pay and unattainable incentives. Look at the culture that your General Managers and department heads are establishing in your clubs for employee "partners" because the partner vibe is not there. Look at the training and negativity that is in the clubs. You need a reality check on how to establish the feeling that employees are valued.

Completely unprofessional.

I worked at ClubCorp part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay to a certain extent.

Cons

zero advancement. no benefits. borderline racist and sexist.

Have more respect for your lower level employees and do not be intimidated by the "educated" ones.

They value money more than there employees.

Current Employee - Beverage Cart Attendant in Anthem, AZ
    Current Employee - Beverage Cart Attendant in Anthem, AZ

I have been working at ClubCorp

Pros

The members of the club are treated well.

Cons

Dealing with some people that feel entitled and that they are allowed to have any behavior they want.

Put your employees first a happy employee is a hard working employee.

Take This Job and Shove It ****Horrible Company****

Current Employee - Private Events Director
    Current Employee - Private Events Director

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am still searching for the "What's in it for me?" I guess the only thing I can say is that event sales is a fun type of sales, but that is more industry related than specific to ClubCorp. Other than that, it is providing me with a salary, although a menial one, for the tasks expected of me, while I search for another job.

Cons

Numbers Driven to the extreme and unrealistic expectations. Everything has a report. Even our reports have reports. You spend so much time doing paper work and reports you have hardly any time to actually sell and/or execute events which is unfortunate considering a large bulk of our compensation is commission. Salary is a joke and their commission is a smoke and mirrors game. They scammed me into signing a job offer and now that I see they weren't truthful regarding my compensation. They were deliberately deceitful which I have since realized is company wide.

-Laying off a ton of people the week before Christmas is not how to Win Friends and Influence People.
    -Your Benefits are a joke. If you are going to offer low salaries and low commissions, you need to at least have decent Health Insurance or matching 401K.