ClubCorp

Be The First To
Add Photos

ClubCorp President and CEO Eric L. Affeldt

Eric L. Affeldt

Pros:
  • "Nice to be able to take yoga from one of the Country Clubs"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Was able to play free golf on world class courses"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, horrible expensive benefits, no incentives, no raises, no support"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low pay, no bonuses, always watching every little expense"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to grow your career

Regional Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOutstanding leadership - CEO / COO care about the staff and ensure Senior leaders are focused on growing business and growing people . Environment is focused on fun and building relationships and enriching lives. So it is really good for positive people who are self starters and willing to speak up

ConsBig company so can't always move as fast as you'd like

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on balancing needs of Employees, Members and Shareholders

Membership Director

Membership Director (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at ClubCorp full-time for less than a year

Prosfriendly co-workers. Have fun events at the club

Consbad management and pay. Crazy hours, no work-life balance.

Deadend job, Deadend company, horrible employee relations

Line Cook (Former Employee)
Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at ClubCorp full-time for less than a year

ProsThey pay well for the job they require

ConsThe employees as well as management take an emotional approach to the workplace and make it more than just a job. They try to invest themselves into each other with good intentions, but it only results in doing less of the job required. Every employee passes responsibility of their work onto another. The Food and Beverage Director holds no responsibility for his actions, he leaves early during a busy service, treats the women of the workplace less than the men and has a very quick temper. The General Manager decides who he likes from day one of their employment and their fate is sealed from that point on, no amount of work or effort makes any change to his initial impression. The facility operates on the bare minimum, they pass by on a high budget and low expectations. Nobody knows how to be useful and they don't know how to hire useful employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good staff, fix the service times, use better ingredients, use your budget wisely, don't settle for what you have.

Disorganized, understaffed and GM has no clue.

Server (Current Employee)

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits for full time staff, 50% off meals, this club open to public so servers receive tips. Club is open to the public which brings in more guests.

ConsF&b manager over worked with no days off mistakes on schedules, short staff because of past high turnover training for servers and kitchen staff not in place. Majority of kitchen staff does not speak English very well ticket times are slow and orders coming out of kitchen not always correct. A lot of guest complaints about food. Communication not good no daily line up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGM's that are better trained in the restaurant not just golf. To make sure the 3 steps of service is being applied every day.

Shoreby Country Club

Server (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I worked at ClubCorp full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat coworkers and management, willing to work with schedules and decent pay for the food service industry. Good temporary or beginning job. As long as you do a great job, you'll have a great chance of advancing.

ConsThe sometimes overbearing upper-managment & micromanaging.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more faith in the employees you employ

Overall, ClubCorp was a great learning experience.

Director of Club Accounting (Former Employee)
Gibsonia, PA

I worked at ClubCorp full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBeautiful settings, and free golf access. Individual clubs have a small business feel, but operate with the safety net of corporate support for payroll, IT, strategic planning and cost controls.

ConsIn the tightening economy of the last several years, more attention to profit means less emphasis on hiring and training quality staff. In the service industry, employees are the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinvest in the facilities and the people that keep them going.

Could be a great experience but I concur, 'frustrating environment where mediocre rules'

Events Coordinator (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time for more than a year

ProsBeautiful space, interaction with good people, half off food, fast-paced

ConsEmployee benefits lack, clueless and unethical managers

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an atmosphere of trust and fill your office with passionate and emotionally intelligent people who share the dream

"Stuff" Rolls Downhill

I worked at ClubCorp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are not ambitious or not too bright--then ClubCorp has some great jobs for you. Also, if you are in a small town, the Member-only model at a golf or business club can make you a big fish. There truly are "Warm Welcomes, Magic Moments and Fond Farewells" for the Members--and they tend to treat the staff with love and respect.

ConsThe leadership is so out of touch that they could be on Mars instead of Dallas. Sales rule, so if the economy changes---it's YOUR FAULT! Numbers are down and attrition is up, so fire the GM--oh wait--that didn't work--so fire the MD--oh wait--that didn't work--so fire the front of house--oh wait that didn't work--so fire the new GM--oh wait that didn't work--so fire the RVP.....See a pattern?!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn ALL your markets and be more sophisticated. Texas is not the center of the Universe. Go back to basics and stop trying to compete with TGIFridays. Rethink who is moved up the ranks. Sometimes going OUTSIDE the company nets better talent and more intelligent, creative leadership. But, you have to pay the right salaries or you will continue to get the same breed of duds. Get familiar with cost of living outside of Texas.

Good experience but communication needs improvement.

I worked at ClubCorp full-time

ProsDedicated staff in most respects with a tremendous amount of knowledge. Very good in the areas of sales and marketing, and accounting practices.

ConsArrogant attitude towards anything that has not originated from within. Very hard to get new ideas across. Needs upgrading in golf ops, golf maintenance and fitness practices to remain competitive.

Great place for experience and enjoyable work!

I worked at ClubCorp part-time

ProsWorked there back in high school, loved the place and would recommend it:

Fun/Relatively easy work
Enjoyable members
Good networking opportunities
Good benefits (i.e. golf discounts & ability to play the course)

ConsLittle/No chance of receiving a raise
Management can be oblivious to issues/problem of junior employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake note of junior employee's ideas and perceptions of other employees. At the very least, be willing to hear a conversation about raises.

Worked for ClubCorp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ClubCorp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ClubCorp CEO Eric L. Affeldt. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by ClubCorp employees.