ClubCorp Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.4

ClubCorp President and CEO Eric L. Affeldt
Eric L. Affeldt

Pros
  • Was able to play free golf on world class courses (in 5 reviews)

• Working for a company that has country clubs and golf courses is always a plus (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, with an attitude of "if you don't like it, you can leave" (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, horrible benefits, computer systems are a joke, no raises for even top performers in over six years (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Top management is arrogant and condescending to employees and members.

I have been working at ClubCorp

Pros

A good group of employees who work hard and members who appreciate the extra effort.

Cons

Members are not important ot upper management and they do not have a good concept for what a country club should be.

Understand that members pay dues to belong to the club and don't gouge them with prices for everyday products. Membership has its privileges. Also, treat your employees better - they are working hard to keep the customers happy and to provide excellent service.

Worst company I have ever worked for!

I worked at ClubCorp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Something different to do almost every day. For the most part, the people that work there are fun to work with. Free golf in the off season ( so basically, in the middle of summer)

Cons

-Tip share system seems to be a big scam!
    -Management is horrible and expects you to make your work your entire life.
    -You cannot request time off 9 months out of the year.
    -The hours can be excruciatingly long... (I have worked a 17 hour day)
    -Horrible about giving breaks.
    -Benefits offered are a LIE!!! Nobody can meet the average requirements for hours for benefits because in the summer you are lucky to work 15 hours a week.

You cannot expect so much from people and offer so little in return!

Disappointing!

Current Employee - Food and Beverage
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Getting to know the members

Cons

Horrible upper management, only concerned with their bonus.....preach that our members are our sole focus, hahaha.....even they know that's not true. If you're looking for experience, this company will offer that, but for long term employment/ advancement, stay away!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager, Back of House

Current Employee - Executive Chef
    Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good systems and resources. Becoming more food oriented and many opportunities for creativity. Opportunities for growth.

Cons

Always "more with less" philosophy.
    Poor benefits package.

Spend some time at club level.

Service Captain

I worked at ClubCorp

Pros

You can have the same exact position for like 29 years. Seriously

Cons

Where do I start I worked there for 3 years and got fired for not doing something that wasn't my job. My freind got seriously injured at one of their clubs and management tried to pay him workman's comp of $150 a week. They treat their employees terribly and its a dead end job. Management does not care about the members/customers or employees. Any benefits offered are not real because they refuse to give you earned vacation time and screw you every chance they get. All they care about us cutting back hours so no matter how hard you work you are a number. Don't even think about working for these people.

The country club industry is dieing out and hopefully you will go with it.

An Educational & Rewarding Experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I worked at ClubCorp full-time

Pros

This was actually my first real job. I learned a lot about foods, wines, liquors & etiquette. Met some very interesting people, both Members & Employee Partners who will forever be family. An experience that I would not change for anything. A wonderful place to have worked. "You don't miss your water until your well runs dry". I loved this Club & all that went along with it.

Cons

Corporate greed. Dropping the initiation deposit was probably the worst change that the company did. It took the exclusiveness away from the Clubs. It was apparent to most Members that it was now about quantity & not quality as in affordability. Allow Club Managers to be more active in creating a realistic budget for their Club.

Appreciate your people more by listening to their comments & following up with changes that are sensible
    and recognizing those that make cost saving ideas with bonuses.

Members are number one, not their employees.

Current Employee - Private Events Director
    Current Employee - Private Events Director

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are a member of the Club you're in a great place because they are treated like royalty. The company gave me a starting place right after graduating college and I gained skills that are useful in the workplace (however, none that exceed my private education). There are also plenty of Clubs to transfer to if you wish to advance your career with this company.

Cons

There is no such thing as work-life balance with this company, it simply does not exist. As a salaried department head you are expected to give the world with little monetary return, or even appreciation for that matter. The severe lack of communication between department heads, unrealistic expectations regarding the work you are expected to complete on a daily and weekly basis, and overall negative work environment significantly diminishes office moral and the desire to produce the results they seek. Not to mention half of your clients are the members themselves, which is great if you connect with them. However, most are petty, demanding, unappreciative, and expect you to worship the ground they walk on simply because they pay dues to walk in the door.

The benefits are terrible, the company has a 401k plan, however they do not match. The health insurance is costly, the coverage is mediocre, and the waiting period for benefits is longer than most companies. At the end of the day everything comes down to sales, members and money in their eyes, and it will never change.

Learn to manage the expectations you have for your directors and consider the experience, management style, and leadership capacity (if any) that your supervisors have. Take care of your employees better and you might have less turnover.

I worked there 9 years and was happiest when I left and I was considered management.

Former Employee - Am Supervisor  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Am Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at ClubCorp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When I started, it was a family owned business but then KSL Resorts bought it and it was all down hill from then on. I learned about business clubs, dealing with members, payroll, dealing with management, and dealing with the staff. I worked with some very hard working and dedicated people and for a company that just did not care about it's employees.

Cons

The pay here was barely above minimum wage, had to pay for your food and your parking, they did not give raises, and you had to work many parties for free. They would take part of employee tips from the tip pool, which is illegal, but if you did not like it, you could leave. I would recommend this company only to my worst enemy.

You can't keep good people with such a lousy attitude towards the workers who provide excellent service for your members. Without the members, you have no club.

Could be a great Place to work!

Current Employee - Server  in  Stockbridge, GA
    Current Employee - Server in Stockbridge, GA

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My pay is decent for my first and only job; I am good at my job and since day one I have multi tasked in every department of Food & Beverage from working at the pool/cook, etc, to administrative work, to banquet server, to lounge server and more. My customer's LOVE ME! unfortunately I do not receive my gratuity only hourly pay. I would like to grow with the company; but I've been working for 2 plus yrs and I have never been to an orientation. So what/where are my benefits?

Cons

I have seen too many new GM's, Exec. Chef's and Server's flow thru here. The regular customers which I have gotten to know pretty well always have the same complaints. Kitchen is too slow! Well I guess so with all the turnover! Now I may be young but I'm smart enough to know when you have turnover you have chaos! I was hired as a part-time employee but I work 40 hr weeks and deserve my benefits! especially vacation time.

Get a clue?

Only If You are a Sucker For Punishment.... WORST COMPANY EVER!

I worked at ClubCorp

Pros

Free Golf..... IF you can ever find time. You will spend your every waking moment slaving away for these jerks

The Members are the BEST PART..... they actually treat you better than management.

You will learn a lot here...... how to conform to submissive slavery.... unless your smart enough to stand up for yourself.

Cons

First of All.... I am so glad there is finally a website that helps employees anonymously Expose the horrible treatment that goes on with companies like this. You can never find fair recourse from such treatment without fear of being prevented to ever work again.

* "Regional Managers" or anything above a Supervisor Level employee posting praising reviews on here.... is total BS!

* Scare tactics and "managing by fear" is the norm with this company. They do NOT treat employees with respect and because of that they have lost a lot of good people over the recent years.

* Terrible / Expensive Benefits.

* If the economy begins to tank again.... you better be looking for new employment.... and fast!

* Zero Loyalty to those who helped the company make all that revenue off their long hours at work and talents. They throw up a good smoke screen with the members to make themselves look like they care about the employees.... don't be fooled.

My suggestion to anyone working for these people... get out before it's to late! If you don't like it there.... take their advice and leave. The sooner you do, the better off you will be.

As the old saying goes.... "The beatings will continue until employee morale improves."

Look in the mirror and find some integrity. The reviews on here should tell you something.

There are many... and they are TRUE! Drop That in Your Star Card Box!

Worked for ClubCorp? Contribute to the Community!