ClubCorp Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
2.5

ClubCorp President and CEO Eric L. Affeldt
Eric L. Affeldt

Pros
  • Great people to work with, fun environment, good members, and free golf (in 7 reviews)

• Working for a company that has country clubs and golf courses is always a plus (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, with an attitude of "if you don't like it, you can leave" (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, horrible benefits, computer systems are a joke, no raises for even top performers in over six years (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It was OK.

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, people that work here are great to work with.

Cons

Benefits are not so great.

Very fun and a great way to make cash while growing up and going to school.

Former Employee - Guest Services (Outside Services) in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services (Outside Services) in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at ClubCorp part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun outdoor environment combined with guest service that will teach a young person valuable life lessons. Tips are extremely motivating and teach young workers how to work as a team. The country club environment is a great place to work in and develop relationships for the future. I managed to work nearly full time and maintain my grades in school. I highly recommend this job.

Cons

No cons. A job is a job, it is what you make out of it.

Keep up the good work!

An exercise in futility..

Former Employee - Food Service in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Food Service in West Covina, CA

I worked at ClubCorp part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice club atmosphere, good views of wildlife, and sunset during season. Work with some decent people with different backgrounds. Good hard work.

Cons

Employees are treated with ZERO appreciation for very hard work on a daily basis. No breaks are given or offered 99% of the time, only when employees are in danger of receiving overtime pay for their efforts. Management is so out of touch with their employees, and shows no appreciation to them, as such. Only acknowledgment given is negative, and as often as possible. Creative input, or any input-for that matter is frowned upon. Members are advised in company newsletters not to give extra gratuities to servers, bartenders, etc. Some members are very rude and demanding.
    5 star service is expected at all times, while 3 star wages are paid. The gratuity pool system, and how you are paid is never explained to employees. Figures are never shown, and many that the numbers are fudged. I have been shorted pay on numerous occasions, and have been subjected to dangerous work conditions several times as well. 90% of the time, you will go home hungry working at the restaurant. I think that pretty much sums it up, for the most part. Overall l think that it's a great place to work ;)

Keep doing what you're doing. A real bang-up job! You guys turn incompetence into an art form.

Loyal to hard working EPs

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, beauty of the properties, incentives if all sales plans are made.

Cons

Not necessiarly a con, but the role and responsibility of a PED is to sell. Know that you are entering a sales environement not just "planning parties".

Top management is arrogant and condescending to employees and members.

I have been working at ClubCorp

Pros

A good group of employees who work hard and members who appreciate the extra effort.

Cons

Members are not important ot upper management and they do not have a good concept for what a country club should be.

Understand that members pay dues to belong to the club and don't gouge them with prices for everyday products. Membership has its privileges. Also, treat your employees better - they are working hard to keep the customers happy and to provide excellent service.

Worst company I have ever worked for!

I worked at ClubCorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Something different to do almost every day. For the most part, the people that work there are fun to work with. Free golf in the off season ( so basically, in the middle of summer)

Cons

-Tip share system seems to be a big scam!
    -Management is horrible and expects you to make your work your entire life.
    -You cannot request time off 9 months out of the year.
    -The hours can be excruciatingly long... (I have worked a 17 hour day)
    -Horrible about giving breaks.
    -Benefits offered are a LIE!!! Nobody can meet the average requirements for hours for benefits because in the summer you are lucky to work 15 hours a week.

You cannot expect so much from people and offer so little in return!

Disappointing!

Current Employee - Food and Beverage
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Getting to know the members

Cons

Horrible upper management, only concerned with their bonus.....preach that our members are our sole focus, hahaha.....even they know that's not true. If you're looking for experience, this company will offer that, but for long term employment/ advancement, stay away!

Manager, Back of House

Current Employee - Executive Chef
    Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good systems and resources. Becoming more food oriented and many opportunities for creativity. Opportunities for growth.

Cons

Always "more with less" philosophy.
    Poor benefits package.

Spend some time at club level.

Service Captain

I worked at ClubCorp

Pros

You can have the same exact position for like 29 years. Seriously

Cons

Where do I start I worked there for 3 years and got fired for not doing something that wasn't my job. My freind got seriously injured at one of their clubs and management tried to pay him workman's comp of $150 a week. They treat their employees terribly and its a dead end job. Management does not care about the members/customers or employees. Any benefits offered are not real because they refuse to give you earned vacation time and screw you every chance they get. All they care about us cutting back hours so no matter how hard you work you are a number. Don't even think about working for these people.

The country club industry is dieing out and hopefully you will go with it.

An Educational & Rewarding Experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I worked at ClubCorp full-time

Pros

This was actually my first real job. I learned a lot about foods, wines, liquors & etiquette. Met some very interesting people, both Members & Employee Partners who will forever be family. An experience that I would not change for anything. A wonderful place to have worked. "You don't miss your water until your well runs dry". I loved this Club & all that went along with it.

Cons

Corporate greed. Dropping the initiation deposit was probably the worst change that the company did. It took the exclusiveness away from the Clubs. It was apparent to most Members that it was now about quantity & not quality as in affordability. Allow Club Managers to be more active in creating a realistic budget for their Club.

Appreciate your people more by listening to their comments & following up with changes that are sensible
    and recognizing those that make cost saving ideas with bonuses.