Clyde's Restaurant Group

Updated Jul 17, 2014

John Laytham

Great company

Front Waiter (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsWell-established company with great training. The managers allow you to work without them constantly interfering.

ConsThe management tends to play favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont buddy up with employees.

Good place to work

Server (Former Employee) Ashburn, VA

ProsExcellent training program and manager's give you support along the way. Great guests and you make money. Definitely great when you're a student.

ConsFlexible with scheduling and they can work around your schedule but again as a server you never get any kind of paid vacation. Sometimes though I feel they don't care about their employees as much as they should. They would rather be helpful to guests even if they've shown they aren't the best people.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up your employees more

enjoyable kitchen to work in.

Prep (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI enjoy working in a high volume kitchen, working on new menus daily the friendly atmosphere and helping others complete a their task.

Consnot having enough dinner ware to accommodate large dinner private parties and. regular service at the same time. Lack of communication between management and staff during the busy rush.

Advice to Senior Managementmy advice to management would be is to make sure that managers are qualified to do their job before hiring them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Server Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe teamwork can be good and the comradery is also nice

ConsA lot of favorite servers who get the best shifts and best sections.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff more it should not take so long to break in.

I had a solid experience working with Clydes - the training was fantastic and it's a great community of people.

Host (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExtensive training makes sure that you are ready for anything. As a host the pay was good and all my coworkers were great people and enjoyable to be with. All the staff are hard working and for a restaurant the turnover is not as fast as one would expect. The customers are generally great to the employees as well.

ConsThe hours are tough but given the nature of the business to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management was great and I never had any problems working with my bosses.

Great training experience, decent management, irritating coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training experience as a waiter. Clyde's is truly the best in customer service--whatever the customers ask for, they get. After your shift, you can get a discount off anything on the menu.

ConsWaiters only look out for themselves, don't believe in teamwork. Managers played favorites; they gave the best shifts/tables to their favorite waiters (usually brown-nosers).

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees for their quality of work/ work ethic

A good experience working with professionals

Bartender (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThorough training, professional environment, many coworkers from different walks of life, restaurants are pretty beautiful...they dont cut corners, if you are serious about being in the industry you have an opportunity for real growth here. Can be flexible with your schedule. A great network to be connected to, especially in the Washington, DC area.

ConsThere is a substantial income gap between employees working lunch (typically newer) vs. those who work nights. A higher hourly pay might make sense for those working lunches and help to retain new staff instead of spending the money training folks who wont be there for the longer haul.

Advice to Senior ManagementA higher hourly pay might make sense for those working lunches and help to retain new staff instead of spending the money training folks who wont be there for the longer haul.

A Good Place To Start.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCompany likes to hire from within rather than outside, so lack of experience in a position you're after is not a big issue. Company also has human resources department just for training employees & management and improving the work environment via annual surveys. Management seems to genuinely care about employee well-being.

ConsLack of female leadership. Profit still prevails overall as this is a corporation. "Managerial strategies" used keep employees complacent (i.e. perpetual praising , encouraging everyone to "work" hard, particularly when one hard working employee can do the job of two without an increase in compensation, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees with compensation as well as words and awards.

Best Bar to Work at

Bartender (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat reputation. No problem selling food, or specialty drinks--as they're good. Sophisticated clientele, big checks--lots of regulars, and generally 18%-20%+ tips.

ConsLong hours, obviously. Early in-times are a drag

Advice to Senior ManagementDelay/stagger in-times. Let day bartenders work a bit longer.

Decent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat social environment - everybody was friendly and willing to give advice or offer a helping hand in a situation. People were very approachable.

ConsA *lot* of competition to move up to positions above waiter / waitress, and it feels like management overlooks a lot of factors when selecting who to promote.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to get to know your employees more! It's really frustrating when you see someone who doesn't work as hard / long as you do move up in the hierarchy before you get a chance to.

Worked for Clyde's Restaurant Group? Contribute to the Community!