Clydesdale Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lynne M. Peacock

A rewarding 14 years with many oppurtunities to progress

Business Partner (Former Employee)
Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Clydesdale Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbove average salary, many oppurtunities to progress within your career

ConsA lot of branches short staffed

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

mickey mouse organisation lacking status to make an impact

Private Banking (Former Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Clydesdale Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent salary and freedom to do job as you wish but lack management expertise to get people working as a team. The Bank was 20 years behind the times when I joined in 2007 but had a market leading proposition with its Financial Solutions Centres

Consdidnt deliver on my expectations. Had a great set up in Financial Solutions Centres (as was) but management did not support the team ethic with the result that collective goals were invariably missed.. The organisation was on a massive growth curve when I joined and recruited from outside the organisation in a big way to help achieve their ambitions.
Then it went pear shaped and most of the people recruited back in the mid noughties left leaving those who were in an outdated and out of touch business in the first place.
This was an company that promised much but didnt achieve. The new 2013 model will not work because management have basically gone back to a business that didnt achieve in the first place with little scope to grow the business and a credit department that will not use common sense.

Advice to Senior Managementdo as you say you will do not what you think you should do and support the team ethic

Good freedom but very limited career prospects

Business Partner (Former Employee)

I worked at Clydesdale Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAble to access senior managers, good salaries relative to market,

ConsVery internal compliance focused and "petty", virtually no useful training provided, very flat management structure with few learning or promotion prospects

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the Financial Solution Centre strategy and focus on winning good quality SME business from other banks - that means having a credit appetite to match - not just lending 3/4 of the book on property like the Irish banks.

BP - Pros and Cons

Business Partner (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Clydesdale Bank

Pros- Friendly environment
- Good hands on training with experienced staff willing to help out
- Close interaction and accessibility to other departments i.e. credit, treasury etc
- Management generally fair and reasonably informed
- Informative communications and good levels of training available

Cons- Small bank with big beaucracy (although most Banks are strangled by red tape)
- Muddled targets and reactive rather than proactive strategies
- Over managed in areas with large sub section of middle management
- Essentially reward is put solely on achievement of new sales targets and management of skills/knowledge base could be better
- Limited progression upwards with real moves being sidewards progressions

Advice to Senior Management- Cut out the deadwood in the middle or enhance their accoutantability through individual rather than team performance
- Micro-management is not the only way to enhance performance i.e. endless sales meetings, spreadsheets etc will not always result in increased productivity - look at increased joint marketing, training or knowledge sharing from employees.
- Set a plan for the year and stick to it - sub targets, schemes and monthly specials make it feel more like a supermarket with special offers than a Bank with strategic targets.
- Cut the car salesmen - create a real team ethic

Worked for Clydesdale Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clydesdale Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clydesdale Bank CEO Lynne M. Peacock. All reviews posted anonymously by Clydesdale Bank employees.