Co-operative Bank

Co-operative Bank Acting CEO Barry Tootell

Barry Tootell

Customer Service Executive

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat place to work, friendly atmosphere, company take good care of the staff

Conssalary should be raised a bit

It's in a mess

Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Skelmersdale, England (UK)

ProsContinous job . Job security , Hours that suit me , If there is a personal problem they are super

ConsImpossible to book holidays weeks of "pending status " re holidays so people go off sick and stay off for a week or even 2 when all they needed was 1 days holiday People get very stressed over whether they will be granted holiday status
    No where near enough staff Vastly understaffed . They can not keep good experienced staff and that included managers
    Unrealistic targets told we havent to sell but are targeted on leads

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip look after your staff make them feel that they are valued or they WILL leave

Team manager

Team Manager (Current Employee)
    Stockport, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility and the hours are great for my life style and great location. The staff are amazing and what makes me go to work every day

ConsThe pay is low the workload is shocking and they expect you to complete the workload and no compassion. They also provide so many targets it's impossible to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management an above are trying the hardest however I believe the higher you go they don't have a clue what the front line is like

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hell

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)

Prosi honestly cannot think of any apart from they pay you!

Consokay, where to start! no benefits, poor pay, poor management of the actual company, constant embarrassing news on the media, constant complaints from customers, poor products, no staff parties.

Advice to Senior Managementleave

Cancerous cult of an organisation with a public persona and a hidden agenda of profit over morals values and ethics

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
    Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

ProsLovely grass roots staff who believe the mission statements and loyaly believe they work for a socially responsible employer

ConsPoor management with a disjointed approach and a sinking ship feeling

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't move poor performing managers sideways have the guts to get rid

Thank God I got out!!! 0 Stars

Risk Analyst (Former Employee)
    Leek, England (UK)

ProsOnly doing 35 hours a week. Redundancy payout

ConsNo support. No training. Last role I had (risk) I did not have 1 day of training from my manager and I was the only one in the team. Then he spent 4 out of 5 days in Manchester ignoring my calls and emails.

Contractors, contractors, contractors everywhere. Normally at £500+ a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange!!! everything about COOP needs to change. I much preferred everything (other than Lotus notes) when it was Britannia.

Managers (E and D levels) don't have a clue. In the 16 months I was in my last job I had 4-5 desk reviews. My manager truly did not care about me.

Too much red tape. E.g. Coop paid my salary wrong for 3 months. Had to fill in new forms twice because they got lost in the post. Offered to deliver them to HR but they said "they are not allowed to deal with me face to face, even if I came to reception no one would come to take the forms off me"

The most tortuous time of my whole working career.

Customer Advisor (Current Employee)
    Stockport, England (UK)

ProsThere are no pros at working at the Co op bank.

ConsRude customers
    Poor senior management skills
    The senior managers are implementing policies that do not work for the bank. If normal advisors can see that then why cant the top level directors? They are meant to be more qualified than normal staff members too!
    The bank has ridiculous policies and when explaining them to the customer.. you just feel like a right idiot as you know what you are saying sounds stupid but cannot do anything about it because its the bank policies.
    The office is dirty
    the chairs are uncomfortable
    the computers are slow and dont work half the time. they crash constantly
    new software needs updating.. its so old!!
    there is no work life balance at all. evening and weekend staff cannot ever change shifts and moving to day shifts is nearly impossible
    No room for progression
    No career break possible when I was told there would be one allowed
    Favoritism
    Time off policies are the worst. Unable to do shift swaps if you are visa trained. An advisor that isnt visa trained finds it easier to swap shifts and change their shifts.
    Personal growth - there is none. I was told there would be... I have asked for voluntary experience in the finance dept and everytime i get told to come back in a few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out policies, consider involving advisors in policies implemented before there actually implemented because sometimes you actually just have it all wrong. For example, I am not of senior level and I could have told you taking over tsb would have been a bad idea when internally there are so many problems so the coop just lost millions instead? surely, it would have been obvious it wasnt a good idea.. taking over britannia was a terrible idea too.
    Visa trained advisors should get higher pay than normal advisors as there phones are constantly busier and have more complex queries to deal with.
    There needs to be room for personal growth.. however, when being a call centre staff most people cant wait to leave.
    coop is no longer ethical at all

you want to try working for Castlewood co op food warehouse

Prospay is good, that's all i can say

ConsIts like working at a concentration camp, never have i worked for a place that is so petty,upper management treat staff like cattle, and you are treated pretty much like a slave. KPI targets are a joke. in fact i watched the Amazon documentary and thought it looked like a holiday camp compared to Castlewood NDC in alfreton notts, you dont even get the full 30 min break in 8 hours as you have to be back 5 mins before your break end to log back on to the system. in a word shocking.

Advice to Senior ManagementI WOULDN'T WANT TO PUT IT INTO WORD AS THERE ARE NONE TO DESCRIBE.

customer service advisor

Manchester, England (UK)

Proslovely environment and staff, interview isn't too hard once you do your research

Consthey arent that flexible so i had to leave before starting the job once i passed all the stages fr the job.

Advice to Senior Managementbe flexible!

Treatment of staff isn't so ethical

Senior Branch Advisor (Current Employee)
    Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsEthical policy & mutual status

ConsLow Salaries, poorly managed, very slow integration with Britannia. Most branches short staffed. Staff moral is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need adequate resources to deliver the "customer promise"

Worked for Co-operative Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Co-operative Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Co-operative Bank CEO Barry Tootell. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Co-operative Bank employees.