CoStar Group Reviews

Reset
3.9
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • You will learn much about commercial real estate (in 25 reviews)

• Good benefits, company is stable and growing (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 33 reviews)

• senior management is delusional (in 21 reviews)

Job stability

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Excellent company to work for and there is job security and stability at this company The company is very successful

Cons

There are none. It's the perfect job for the right person

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring managers within the company vs external candidates. There's so many associates that are dependable

CoStar Group Response

Jun 25, 2015

Thanks for the feedback, and we love hearing you're enjoying your work at CoStar Group. For manager positions we have in many cases turned to internal promotion over external hires for more than a ... More

Could be worse, but not great

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

- Great for post graduates looking to get their foot in the door and build some professional experience***
    - Atmosphere in Columbia is much more relaxed, and they do a good job at building a family feeling in the office. Casual Fridays are nice and they sometimes do nice events for the researchers.

Cons

- Salary is too low
    - Constantly changing bonus structure
    - Metrics are just flat out stupid**, two minute calls should not be cared about this much.
    - Office politics with managers, team of the month and monthly awards are always biased.
    - Lack of appreciation by brokers sometimes

Advice to Management

- two minute calls mean nothing, change the metrics to something more reasonable and logical. Brokers don't want us wasting their time, we should not be punished for that.
    - pay more, you are a multi million dollar company thriving off our research. Research 1 should start out at least with 46 or 47 instead of 40, and it should go up from there. You can more than afford it.

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, employees you work with are great, close to lots of food places, easy to get to!

Cons

Metrics are unrealistic, bonus structure changes a week or so before paid out, you can't trust anyone, some managers act like they are still in high school, and you feel like you are working for big brother. You think you will be promoted, but you don't. The lazy folks get promoted, not the ones who work their butt off!

Advice to Management

Come up with better metrics by market, not make it universal!

5. Glad to be gone.

Former Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary, vacation time and benefits
    Gained knowledge of commercial real estate in different markets
    The other researchers and local managers

Cons

Bonus criteria changed at any moment
    The 2 minute call requirement that did nothing but upset good customers
    Closing of offices with little to no notice

Advice to Management

It became clear to me the day the CEO bragged to the entire research team about "spending $345,000 on interactive monitors in the kitchen", but I hadn't gotten a decent raise the whole time I worked there. Compensate your hard working employees. Don't change the bonus criteria after the fact. Communicate honestly about offices closing. The situation in Columbia was transparent since I had seen in White Marsh. Forcing people to commute to DC to record their calls was a waste of money and time. Switching people from team to team every other month prevented people from building a rapport with customers. It upset them. AND the 2 minute call requirement is absurd. I understand you go on "verified information" but when you have a broker with 50-70 listings, they want to deal with you via email and not harrassed every other day just so I can try and get a 2 minute phone call. This is why all of your top performers are leaving. Good luck.

I deserve better

Current Employee - Research Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always hiring so if you have at least a 4 year degree you can get in but keep applying for other jobs elsewhere as this is dead end work

Cons

Churn rate is high and management acknowledges it but do not see it as a problem

Advice to Management

Be truthful to the workforce instead of being so misleading. Maybe someone will have a little loyalty if there were more transparency.

7. Good for young grads

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary for young grads who majored in liberal arts. Good starting salary benefits.

Cons

Not a place for a career unless you can deal with the monotony of making calls all day and doing data entry. It is what it is. Put in a couple years and move on. Believe it or not i found companies who value thecostar experience.

Advice to Management

Dont have a quota on calls.

8. Former Employee Review

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

Good salary and bonus potential. You also have a good amount of control over your work day.

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement outside of managing other research associates. Strange production goals that sometimes favor quantity over quality data collection

Advice to Management

In my opinion the regional management team does a good job of watching over employees, encouraging personal and professional growth. I was more dissatisfied with the work itself, which the management can't really do anything about.

Quick Hire, Quick Fire

Former Employee - Researcher in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Researcher in Columbia, MD

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

Good starting pay 40k. Good benefits.

Cons

Big brother atmosphere. Everything is recorded, phone calls, and the actual office. Metrics are constantly being changed to make it harder for employees to receive bonuses. Company will fire you over any little thing, no matter if you've been there for 3years or 3 days. They make employees firings know thru the offices, to scare other employees. I'm done, just even thinking about this company makes me sick...

Advice to Management

No comment at all, I'm done with you guys. A total waste of my time...

10. You get out what you put in, overall a good place to work.

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

CoStar offers a lot of opportunity to learn about the CRE Industry. Like any job, you get out of it what you put into it. The incentive program can be phenominal for individuals who have the right work ethic and really take ownership of their success with folks earning in the thousands per quarter in bonus. There is never a 'boring' day and the company continues to be in a growth pattern that allows opporutnities continually for growth and evolution of processes.

Cons

The growth can overwhelm some individuals, there is a lot of change involved as a result. It is also very fast-paced at times requiring individuals who can sucessfully manage their time while multi-tasking. It is essential to be happy and successful with CoStar that you are flexible, receptive to change, and able to learn and adapt quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on being receptive to feedback. Continue to make an effort to view the bigger picture (internal and client) impact of decisions made.

How not to run a company.

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

The best reason I can think of to work for the CoStar Group is to get sound training in commercial real estate prior to joining a commercial real estate firm. CoStar Group has established an excellent training program due to the high turnover rate. They basically train for 3-5 weeks, then phase you onto the floor via a transition period. Here, you learn not only the detailed types of commercial real estste working with property records, you speak with brokers, owners, etc. Work there for one solid year and you will learn a tremendous amount about commercial real estate and earn a decent salary.

Cons

Andy and his band of Merry Men (& Women) are clueless when it comes to managing/ leading a company this size.

Advice to Management

Senior management does not listen to advice. To the Board of Directors - fire anyone with more than 6 years CoStar experience and bring in capable leadership & management.

RSS Feed </> Embed