CoStar Group

CoStar Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance

Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • Good intro for learning about commercial real estate(in 21 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens(in 32 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers(in 20 reviews)

nothing special

Prosworking with good people on your teams, learn a lot about the CRE industry,

Conscall metric holds back everyone from doing meaningful work

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the metrics

Lame

Research Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSteady pay check and hours are fixed for the most part. Paid holidays and good health insurance provided

ConsVery boring job, low chances of getting higher pay or moving up. Management is very unprofessional and don't have good management practices . Training is the worst I ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be better at motivating employees and training

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIndustry leading, one of a kind product. They provide the best technology and tools to do your job.

ConsCompensation is based on client usage and spread out over a 12 year term. Very complicated compensation plan, basically impossible to ever see full commission for what you sell.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned a lot ... including how NOT to manage

Research Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits, good tuition reimbursement policy

ConsInexperienced management team, some favoritism shown in promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your middle level managers.

Poor management

Research Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWorking at CoStar can be interesting if you are into real estate. The firm is constantly growing so it great to be part of the process.

ConsThere was too much and sometimes unreasonable pressure to meet quantitative, made-up targets. This in turn gives employees the incentive to cut corners to meet them. I also found that the RAs experiences varied according to their managers. I had a great manager who motivated me to do better but most people were unhappy with their managers and even more so with the upper management who set impossible standards.

Solid Company..

Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFun work environment, great money opportunity

ConsLimited advancement, managers are sometimes sarcastic

Stay away!!!

Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

Prosbenefits, people, clients, location, pay

ConsWhile I do not work there anymore, I remember being stressed by repatitive cold calling, metrics the same across the board, upper management, oh yeah, and bonus paid out late. While speaking to a friend who still works there, she says it may get better because someone found out why people kept dropping like flies and fired her. KARMA

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees for once!

Great learning opportunity

Research Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExposure to real estate, opportunity to grow

ConsSome employees do not take pride in their work and instead bash management

Advice to Senior ManagementMore continued learning

Uncomfortably Numb

Research Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsVery nice office, free nice very healthy snacks, nice good location, nice good transit benefits, nice professional environment, good nice gym. Good intro for learning about commercial real estate.

ConsPay is laughable, no opportunities for growth as a researcher only talk, metrics for 2 minute calls bog down actual work. I've been there over a year, I am a "great employee" according to management, and I still make my starting $40,000. I went to college, a good one. Bonuses are small even before taxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementA CEO should not celebrate how the company has doubled it's net worth in the last year while pay remains low and unchanged.

Toxic culture. CEO'S way or no way. Company is managed almost entirely by leveraging fear.

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent benefits, perks and office-space

ConsEmployees and managed by unrealistic metrics. They know any day they can be let go regardless of past performance

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people. Make them feel like they have a voice.

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!