CoStar Group

CoStar Group Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance

Andrew C. Florance

Pros:
  • "Good intro for learning about commercial real estate"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens"
    in 31 reviews
  • "High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Smart people, solid engineering team, fast growing company

Senior IT Engineer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsVery smart IT and Development engineers. Good management team. You will learn a lot and be exposed to cutting edge technologies. Little to no micromanagement. Decent pay and good benefits. Good work/life balance.

FYI, there isn't a separate glassdoor rating for the IT/Development teams within CoStar, but if there were you will probably see a lot higher rating.

ConsCan be pretty demanding given the rapid growth of the company. Not enough communication about the state and direction of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication about goals and direction of the organization.

Great company, metrics mean nothing

Research Associate I (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIt's an ever growing company, with tons of opportunities to advance and even move to other cities.
    The office itself is very comfortable and it's a friendly atmosphere.
    Free snacks are always a plus.
    It's a great way to learn the core basics of CRE and hone in your people skills. I've learned a lot about prying information from brokers who don't normally give out information. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.
    All coworkers are 20-somethings so it's easy to make friends and ask for help without being judged.
    Health benefits are very good.

ConsThe metrics. Hands down. I completely understand why they're in place, but just too unrealistic. The only thing the managers care about at the end of the day is the number of interviews you made..."just make 2 more calls, as long as they're over 2 minutes I'll be happy." I've had plenty of class under 2 minutes that confirmed listings. Incoming calls don't count. Half the time I'm not as productive as I could be because I'm too worried about getting in a "2 minute call" and not focusing on more important things or the quality. A lot of work ISN'T DONE ON THE PHONE IF YOU CAN'T REACH SOMEONE. Then you're scolded when you only have 5 calls, but updated 30 properties via e-mails or CBA. Or, you'll have a day of 20 calls, and the next, nol luck and you're scolded as if you're a lazy worker. It it was it is and I do my job, but upper management needs to figure something else out.
    The work can be mind numbing at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on metrics so much. Those numbers you're so proud of mean nothing half the time and you're only stressing out your team. Listen to your team members; if they were answering e-mail updates for 3 hours, they were still doing work. If they weren't on the phone because they were researching comps, they were still doing work.

Fast pace, rewarding, and challenging

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros- Best technology company to work for in the DC area - we actually get our hands in cutting edge technology, unlike a lot of the federal IT consulting companies in the area
    - Rewarding, competitive pay based on performance
    - Great culture - they broadcast world cup games on 25 foot video walls, team outings have included white water rafting and pro sports games
    - Fast pace, growing company both organically and through acquisition, which creates new challenges and opportunities

Cons- Fast pace, demanding work
    - Unpredictable schedule requires short notice travel and/or evening work
    - Growing pains as the company transitions from a small(er) business to an enterprise. Informal policies are evolving into formal policies, which means change.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication channels, both formal and informal. Focus on communications at the company level (intranet, all-hands, etc). Communications at the department level and team level (at least in IT) are very good.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed the job but the goals were not realistic

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat Management Support within my department
    Good Money to be made if you make your goals
    Fantastic company trips made for great team building

ConsGoals were unrealistic within territories
    Lots of travel to corporate for ineffective training
    Very High turnover rate for sales reps

Grow up complainers

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCoStar is a great company to work for. Hard workers are always rewarded regardless of what you may read on this website. I have seen many people succeed either by being promoted from within the company or by using the experience they have gained to move on to other careers. Before you apply or accept the position you should think about whether this is a job you would enjoy doing. If you love sitting behind your phone texting or browsing social media etc all day then this is not for you. The company prides itself on actually talking to people (you get a lot more info this way rather than sending 20 emails). If this is your first corporate job, you may feel that you are not being treated fairly however , calls are recorded for quality, cameras are there to protect proprietary software as well as the premises and I and many of my peers of not care to hear your personal calls. Entry level candidates should also understand that goals are set to reflect the overall business goals, not to punish you.

ConsThis is a fast faced working environment with directives that can change quickly. This is because any growing business needs to adapt to continue to expand and succeed. Those who do not like change and find it difficult to take directive should not apply.

It's a job.

Research Associate I (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsAmazing benefits. The company is growing and expanding. A dynamic industry. The product is information, and people always need information.

ConsWork ok an RA in a level 1 portfolio is just making calls. I also dont see how the work I am doing really matters in the big picture. The company is metric oriented where the numbers are more important than the quality of the data.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the metrics to a much more quality focused approach not just "get 10 2min calls per day."

some of the people in the videos have been fired

Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Proswork/life balance, benefits, office location, young mostly friendly coworkers, healthy snacks, paid transportation

Consthe turnover is ridiculous, some of the people in the videos on this site have been fired.... most for no reason. in between getting hired and getting fired they will find a way to screw you out of the bonuses they promise when you are interviewing

They don't care about their employees

Research Associate II (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsEntry-level experience. Leave as soon as possible.

ConsThey are really shady and not transparent at all. They try to make you believe there is room for growth, but there really isn't. They make arbitrary decisions all the time about your performance and their expectations. You work hard all quarter to maintain good metrics, then they tell you they arbitrarily decided to have some random metric be a cut-off and you aren't getting a bonus. You start out feeling excited and motivated about the job but that is completely compromised after a short time of putting up with their BS. Also, they play favorites SO bad, it's painfully blatant. If you aren't a suck-up trying to talk to your director about non-work-related topics all day long, you won't get far.

Also, they are really petty and treat you like children. They tell you to stay in your seat and don't socialize with others. They don't let you use your computer during your lunch break. You can't take personal phone calls without going to another floor or outside, which makes it difficult to do anything like call your bank, make a doctor's appointment, or any other everyday life task.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't care about hearing advice, but if they did they might acknowledge researchers as more than data-entry machines. Also, they would realize being petty really makes people hate their jobs even more than they already do. Be FLEXIBLE.

A company with a lot of opportunity

Research Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe company is growing rapidly and there is a lot of opportunity for someone who really wants it. No company is without its challenges, but I've found that as Research Manager who has overseen a wide scope of researchers, the ones that found it the most challenging and have vented on here are those that never worked in a metrics-based or sales environment before, and it can be culture shock. CoStar gives opportunities to a lot of people fresh out of college who have never worked in a professional work environment before and the high expectations that come of a fast-paced, dynamic environment such as this can be difficult to acclimate to. Once you get past all that, it's a fun environment with great leadership and someone who works hard and really wants to move up will excel here. I've just passed my 1-year mark and am looking forward to what's next.

ConsIt can be difficult to engage and motivate employees who have this position as their first job. CoStar should seek more new hires who have at least 1-2 years of professional work experience under their belt. I think this would really help attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key. The leadership here is great and I have learned a lot from the directors. Sometimes the communication gets broken down, but there are plans in place to improve it. Also, the workshops like comps clinics were very helpful -- they have stopped for several months - they are many people who could really benefit from it and I think they need to bring that back.

Great Learning Experience

Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI worked at CoStar for over 18 month as a Research Associate before transitioning into a brokerage firm. One of the core responsibilities as an RA was to interview the contacts (usually brokers) in your market. I never appreciated it while I was doing the work but having those conversations enabled me to not only learn about CRE but they taught me to be persistent in asking questions, creative in facing objections, and confident in leading conversations. Those are the skills that I've taken into my new role as a broker.
    As for the company, there are a number of opportunities for RAs to grow. The company is the leader in their space and they are very good at promoting from within.

ConsAlthough there are a number of opportunities the company needs to do a better job of formalizing a career path so it is more clear for each employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is great in identifying new opportunities (i.e. LoopNet, Apartments, PPR, etc.) that will enhance the experience for their clients. I hope they continue to look for these great compliments to their service. I will benefit as a current client.

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!

CoStar Group Videos

CoStar Group – Why Work for Us?

We’re CoStar Group. For 25 years we’ve made it a priority to help our employees achieve their best. From accounting and research, to marketing and product development, we know our success is reflected in in the success… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CoStar Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CoStar Group CEO Andrew C. Florance. All 292 reviews posted anonymously by CoStar Group employees.