CoStar Group

CoStar Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance

Andrew C. Florance

Pros:
  • "Good intro for learning about commercial real estate"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens"
    in 31 reviews
  • "While promised to "research" commercial real estate all you end up doing is becoming a glorified telemarketer"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A fast growing company with plenty of opportunities for advancement

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at CoStar has been a great way to meet professionals in the commercial real estate community. I feel like I am constantly learning and developing new skills that can be used wherever my career takes me. There are great opportunities for advancement and since most new hires are based on potential, this is a good place for entry level applicants.

ConsDue to the pace of growth and the endless work load, it seems as if my day just disappears. If you don't have a true interest in commercial real estate, you may struggle here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm excited about my future with the company- I wouldn't change a thing!

Moved for the company, would do it all over again!

Research Associate II (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI moved down from HQ in DC in order to compete for a job in the Atlanta office. Management kept me appraised as it was being created, as well as listened to my input on the responsibilities of that job. Management is very approachable and very quick to adapt to anything could improve the workflow of the office. I enjoy the company greatly, and have often encouraged my friends to apply.

ConsAs with any job, there will be downsides. Luckily, they are minimal in the Atlanta office. The biggest complaint would be that we work with two monitors in Atlanta as compared to three in DC.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you are doing. I am very pleased with the way we are heading and I am excited for the next six months.

This is a great place to be if you work hard and want to grow

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love working for such a forward thinking company. It's an exciting place to be, lots of growth and opportunity

I work with a great group of people in the Glasgow office, there's a buzz about the place and always stuff going on.

ConsLast year was hard with so much work to do for the new products and sometimes communication didn't keep up with changes. It's much better now and what was promised last year has happened this year which makes the hard work worthwhile

Fabulous benefits & great culture

Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsBenefit package rocks, senior management is pretty transparent, seem to really care about their employees, fabulous headquarters, CEO seems extremely innovative & likeable, growing org. If you are a hardworking employee and self motivated, you make what you want out of the role.

Consgrowing org so still making changes to the way they do things

Advice to Senior Managementkeep being transparent - awesome company & culture!

Great experience

Data Administrator (Former Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at CoStar Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI worked as part of a project team in Glasgow for nearly a year. The company was launching a new product and we were hired to collect additional information for the database.

It was a good environment even though we were on a different floor to the main office. I learned lots of new skills that have helped me since the contract ended.

There was a real buzz about the place, especially when the new website launched.

ConsI worked on a project and the work changed lots so I never got to be good at one thing, I suppose that's a plus as well.

Not enough time to learn from my manager and they swapped over a couple of times

No air con on the second floor

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved the idea of the company and hope to come back when I've finished my studies

A really good place to be if you like a challenge and want to be part of something

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the best people I've worked with and a company that's on the up. The most friendly place I've worked in and I feel what I do is valued by the management and my clients

ConsIt can be a challenge to keep up but I love all the change.

More time with my manager would be good but I know they are busy.

Lots of opportunity and amazing people

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI work in research in Glasgow and have been with the company for a couple of years. I love working for the company, its really fast paced with aspirations to expand into Europe. Theres a real togetherness in the office and I've never worked with such a great bunch of people. The company really invests in you, my new starter training was 4 weeks and the career progression path means you can get promoted quickly and get a pay rise. The technology is cool too, everyone has 3 screens on there desk and a ipad. It's a really open office and there's always social events being arranged, I've made loads of friends in the office.

The managers are really good and always try to support you and help you, most of them have done the research job so understand what you need to do. The directors are really friendly too and there's regular company briefings so everyone knows what's happening in the company and they always talk with passion about what we do and the part we play in the company's success.

Oh, and I love the GHDs and the beer trolley

ConsI would have said the lack of flexibility in hours but flexi time was introduced last month and its been great. It's made such a difference and is really popular in the office. Another thing would have been targets, I've always hit my targets and earned a good bonus every quarter but I know some people can find it difficult but these were changed at the start of the month and now I only have 3 KPIs. Three were lots of positive changes at the start of this quarter so I don't really have anything I'm not happy about.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe recent changes to targets and quality are really good and everyone appreciates you listening. I also found the open forum really interesting, it's exciting to hear all the things happening in the company. I came on this website because someone in the office told me about a bad review which they were not happy about. I read the reviews and am sad someone feels like that but everyone I know in the office really likes working for costar, I think that shows by the number of people in the office who have worked there for a few years now

CoStar is the undisputed leader in its space with a culture that encourages and rewards performance.

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. Ability to have real impact on each of the industries in which CoStar operates -- notably Commercial Real Estate, but also Land for Sale and Businesses for Sale.
2. Ability to be part of the #1 player investing in and innovating new solutions every quarter
3. Ability to differentiate yourself through your performance and be recognized

ConsBeing part of a larger company that is spread across a number of offices in the country can present challenges. For example, communication and coordination can be more difficult. Of course, this also presents opportunities for leadership and, for those interested, geographic choices.

Great company, great people

ProsGrowing company
Lots of opportunity to progress
Great office location
Open environment where everyone matters

ConsSometimes difficult to contact or convince agents

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone in the office was talking about this website today so I thought I’d have a look and I was shocked by some of the reviews on here. I never usually leave reviews on places like this but I strongly disagree with what has been put on here so wanted to leave my opinion. Ive worked at Costar in Glasgow for more than 3 years now and I love working here. Its a really exciting company to work for and does a lot to look after its staff. Ive never worked for a company where the office is as open and the managers support you and help you to do your job or where you can talk to the directors. Sometimes it can be tough to hit targets and things can change quickly but they are always explained and in my opinion done to make things better.

I read the comments left on here and I can honestly say I have not witnessed these things. I respect the opinions of other people but some of the things written on here are either massively exaggerated or just not true.

Great Opportunities for Growth

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and amenities make this a comfortable workplace. The workload stays balanced with short periods of higher volume, but as long as you can manage your time it goes smoothly.

ConsI don't see any cons other than I wish the continuing education reimbursement could be applied to courses outside of a masters program. On the whole, the merger with LoopNet has benefited many departments and allowed for even better company perks, in my opinion.

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!

CoStar Group Videos

CoStar Group – Why Work for Us?

We’re CoStar Group. For 25 years we’ve made it a priority to help our employees achieve their best. From accounting and research, to marketing and product development, we know our success is reflected in in the success… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CoStar Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CoStar Group CEO Andrew C. Florance. All 269 reviews posted anonymously by CoStar Group employees.