CoStar Group

Updated February 19, 2015
2.5

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • decent benefits, decent location, so-so entry level exposure to commercial real estate (in 25 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 33 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Experience

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job has a lot of perks ( quarterly bonuses/ company events ( holiday party as well as baseball game day)
    Management is reliable and they work well to ensure researchers are getting the proper resources we need to get our job done
    The benefits are amazing
    Career growth & Stability

Cons

This is a job that requires you to know how to use good judgment
    It requires your flexibility-- there's tons of changes
    Must work hard to see results as well as good compensation

CoStar Group Response

Jan 9, 2015

It’s great to hear you’re enjoying your time at CoStar Group. It’s true that our employees work very hard to get the results our clients need, and in return we want to take care of them as much as ... More

Great opportunities to make your way.

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Smart people, hard working, open to change.

Cons

Long hours, unpredictable client requests.

Keep up the cross collaboration!

CoStar Group Response

Dec 30, 2014

Thanks for the feedback, and it’s great to hear you enjoy what we’re offering within CoStar Group. We love seeing our employees flourish at CoStar Group, and we’re finding that happens when we open ... More

You Get Back What You Put In

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*If you put your all in and actually try to be a dedicated employee and learn your market, you will have a great experience.
    *Great place to gain experience in the CRE field
    * Lots of potential for upward mobility, promotions (raises) occur quite often for researchers
    * Clearly defined goals and expectations.
    *Great office with awesome benefits
    *Work force is very young and active.
    * Lots of side projects, special teams, and opportunities to get some spotlight.
    * Job is very stable if you come in and work every day.

Cons

*Calls can be a bit monotonous, but only if you make it so.
    * You are forced to ACTUALLY do your job, so if you want to not do stuff for 5 hours a day, look elsewhere.
    * Job heavily depends on who your manager is.

* Ensure all managers have the same ideology when it comes to employee engagement
    * Focus on making the RAs feel like they are part of a team and passionate about their market.
    * Clearly illustrate opportunities for growth and allow your RAs to shine.

Research

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

This company has great benefits and has a free membership. They feed people very healthy and have good health ins. Also the training is amazing, they send you to Washington, DC for two weeks or a month and pay for your food and stay.

Cons

The work can get very monotone with each day, because it's pretty much doing the same thing every day. There is nothing really bad at this job, people are really nice around you. They only people you wouldn't really want to deal with are the once that you talk with on the phone sometimes sometimes

Grow up complainers

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CoStar is a great company to work for. Hard workers are always rewarded regardless of what you may read on this website. I have seen many people succeed either by being promoted from within the company or by using the experience they have gained to move on to other careers. Before you apply or accept the position you should think about whether this is a job you would enjoy doing. If you love sitting behind your phone texting or browsing social media etc all day then this is not for you. The company prides itself on actually talking to people (you get a lot more info this way rather than sending 20 emails). If this is your first corporate job, you may feel that you are not being treated fairly however , calls are recorded for quality, cameras are there to protect proprietary software as well as the premises and I and many of my peers of not care to hear your personal calls. Entry level candidates should also understand that goals are set to reflect the overall business goals, not to punish you.

Cons

This is a fast faced working environment with directives that can change quickly. This is because any growing business needs to adapt to continue to expand and succeed. Those who do not like change and find it difficult to take directive should not apply.

Fast pace, rewarding, and challenging

Current Employee - IT Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Best technology company to work for in the DC area - we actually get our hands in cutting edge technology, unlike a lot of the federal IT consulting companies in the area
    - Rewarding, competitive pay based on performance
    - Great culture - they broadcast world cup games on 25 foot video walls, team outings have included white water rafting and pro sports games
    - Fast pace, growing company both organically and through acquisition, which creates new challenges and opportunities

Cons

- Fast pace, demanding work
    - Unpredictable schedule requires short notice travel and/or evening work
    - Growing pains as the company transitions from a small(er) business to an enterprise. Informal policies are evolving into formal policies, which means change.

Improve communication channels, both formal and informal. Focus on communications at the company level (intranet, all-hands, etc). Communications at the department level and team level (at least in IT) are very good.

good

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

the invidual teams within the company were great. we all hung out aside from work as well which made it easier to get through the day

Cons

these policies were atrocious

A fast growing company with plenty of opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at CoStar has been a great way to meet professionals in the commercial real estate community. I feel like I am constantly learning and developing new skills that can be used wherever my career takes me. There are great opportunities for advancement and since most new hires are based on potential, this is a good place for entry level applicants.

Cons

Due to the pace of growth and the endless work load, it seems as if my day just disappears. If you don't have a true interest in commercial real estate, you may struggle here.

I'm excited about my future with the company- I wouldn't change a thing!

Moved for the company, would do it all over again!

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I moved down from HQ in DC in order to compete for a job in the Atlanta office. Management kept me appraised as it was being created, as well as listened to my input on the responsibilities of that job. Management is very approachable and very quick to adapt to anything could improve the workflow of the office. I enjoy the company greatly, and have often encouraged my friends to apply.

Cons

As with any job, there will be downsides. Luckily, they are minimal in the Atlanta office. The biggest complaint would be that we work with two monitors in Atlanta as compared to three in DC.

Continue doing what you are doing. I am very pleased with the way we are heading and I am excited for the next six months.

This is a great place to be if you work hard and want to grow

Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for such a forward thinking company. It's an exciting place to be, lots of growth and opportunity

I work with a great group of people in the Glasgow office, there's a buzz about the place and always stuff going on.

Cons

Last year was hard with so much work to do for the new products and sometimes communication didn't keep up with changes. It's much better now and what was promised last year has happened this year which makes the hard work worthwhile