CoStar Group Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

2.5

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • Good intro for learning about commercial real estate (in 21 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 32 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Grow up complainers

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

CoStar is a great company to work for. Hard workers are always rewarded regardless of what you may read on this website. I have seen many people succeed either by being promoted from within the company or by using the experience they have gained to move on to other careers. Before you apply or accept the position you should think about whether this is a job you would enjoy doing. If you love sitting behind your phone texting or browsing social media etc all day then this is not for you. The company prides itself on actually talking to people (you get a lot more info this way rather than sending 20 emails). If this is your first corporate job, you may feel that you are not being treated fairly however , calls are recorded for quality, cameras are there to protect proprietary software as well as the premises and I and many of my peers of not care to hear your personal calls. Entry level candidates should also understand that goals are set to reflect the overall business goals, not to punish you.

Cons

This is a fast faced working environment with directives that can change quickly. This is because any growing business needs to adapt to continue to expand and succeed. Those who do not like change and find it difficult to take directive should not apply.

Fast pace, rewarding, and challenging

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Best technology company to work for in the DC area - we actually get our hands in cutting edge technology, unlike a lot of the federal IT consulting companies in the area
    - Rewarding, competitive pay based on performance
    - Great culture - they broadcast world cup games on 25 foot video walls, team outings have included white water rafting and pro sports games
    - Fast pace, growing company both organically and through acquisition, which creates new challenges and opportunities

Cons

- Fast pace, demanding work
    - Unpredictable schedule requires short notice travel and/or evening work
    - Growing pains as the company transitions from a small(er) business to an enterprise. Informal policies are evolving into formal policies, which means change.

Improve communication channels, both formal and informal. Focus on communications at the company level (intranet, all-hands, etc). Communications at the department level and team level (at least in IT) are very good.

good

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

the invidual teams within the company were great. we all hung out aside from work as well which made it easier to get through the day

Cons

these policies were atrocious

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fast growing company with plenty of opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at CoStar has been a great way to meet professionals in the commercial real estate community. I feel like I am constantly learning and developing new skills that can be used wherever my career takes me. There are great opportunities for advancement and since most new hires are based on potential, this is a good place for entry level applicants.

Cons

Due to the pace of growth and the endless work load, it seems as if my day just disappears. If you don't have a true interest in commercial real estate, you may struggle here.

I'm excited about my future with the company- I wouldn't change a thing!

Moved for the company, would do it all over again!

Current Employee - Research Associate II  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I moved down from HQ in DC in order to compete for a job in the Atlanta office. Management kept me appraised as it was being created, as well as listened to my input on the responsibilities of that job. Management is very approachable and very quick to adapt to anything could improve the workflow of the office. I enjoy the company greatly, and have often encouraged my friends to apply.

Cons

As with any job, there will be downsides. Luckily, they are minimal in the Atlanta office. The biggest complaint would be that we work with two monitors in Atlanta as compared to three in DC.

Continue doing what you are doing. I am very pleased with the way we are heading and I am excited for the next six months.

This is a great place to be if you work hard and want to grow

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working for such a forward thinking company. It's an exciting place to be, lots of growth and opportunity

I work with a great group of people in the Glasgow office, there's a buzz about the place and always stuff going on.

Cons

Last year was hard with so much work to do for the new products and sometimes communication didn't keep up with changes. It's much better now and what was promised last year has happened this year which makes the hard work worthwhile

Fabulous benefits & great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Benefit package rocks, senior management is pretty transparent, seem to really care about their employees, fabulous headquarters, CEO seems extremely innovative & likeable, growing org. If you are a hardworking employee and self motivated, you make what you want out of the role.

Cons

growing org so still making changes to the way they do things

keep being transparent - awesome company & culture!

Great experience

Former Employee - Data Administrator  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Data Administrator in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at CoStar Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked as part of a project team in Glasgow for nearly a year. The company was launching a new product and we were hired to collect additional information for the database.

It was a good environment even though we were on a different floor to the main office. I learned lots of new skills that have helped me since the contract ended.

There was a real buzz about the place, especially when the new website launched.

Cons

I worked on a project and the work changed lots so I never got to be good at one thing, I suppose that's a plus as well.

Not enough time to learn from my manager and they swapped over a couple of times

No air con on the second floor

I loved the idea of the company and hope to come back when I've finished my studies

A really good place to be if you like a challenge and want to be part of something

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the best people I've worked with and a company that's on the up. The most friendly place I've worked in and I feel what I do is valued by the management and my clients

Cons

It can be a challenge to keep up but I love all the change.

More time with my manager would be good but I know they are busy.

Lots of opportunity and amazing people

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work in research in Glasgow and have been with the company for a couple of years. I love working for the company, its really fast paced with aspirations to expand into Europe. Theres a real togetherness in the office and I've never worked with such a great bunch of people. The company really invests in you, my new starter training was 4 weeks and the career progression path means you can get promoted quickly and get a pay rise. The technology is cool too, everyone has 3 screens on there desk and a ipad. It's a really open office and there's always social events being arranged, I've made loads of friends in the office.

The managers are really good and always try to support you and help you, most of them have done the research job so understand what you need to do. The directors are really friendly too and there's regular company briefings so everyone knows what's happening in the company and they always talk with passion about what we do and the part we play in the company's success.

Oh, and I love the GHDs and the beer trolley

Cons

I would have said the lack of flexibility in hours but flexi time was introduced last month and its been great. It's made such a difference and is really popular in the office. Another thing would have been targets, I've always hit my targets and earned a good bonus every quarter but I know some people can find it difficult but these were changed at the start of the month and now I only have 3 KPIs. Three were lots of positive changes at the start of this quarter so I don't really have anything I'm not happy about.

The recent changes to targets and quality are really good and everyone appreciates you listening. I also found the open forum really interesting, it's exciting to hear all the things happening in the company. I came on this website because someone in the office told me about a bad review which they were not happy about. I read the reviews and am sad someone feels like that but everyone I know in the office really likes working for costar, I think that shows by the number of people in the office who have worked there for a few years now

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!