CoStar Group

Updated November 19, 2014
2.5

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • The company is alsp a great place to get a broad overview of commercial real estate (in 26 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 33 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast moving company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, process and technology are top notch. Issues are handled in a well define and understandable manner. The management knows where it wants to go and how it is going to get there. The benefits are very good and the compensation is above average.

Cons

The company is very aggressive about how they want to get from point A to point B. This aggressive behavior has a downside in alienating people that work in lower tiered positions.

Continue to stay the course. The stock price reflects how you are doing.

Nov 21, 2014

We appreciate your feedback, and it’s great to hear you enjoyed your time at CoStar Group.

Never Again

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

- Food offerings
    - Fun groups of people to work with

Cons

- Work pressure
    - Unattainable goals
    - Absolutely no strategy
    - If you want to work in a call center and not use your brain, this is the place for you!

Nov 19, 2014

We appreciate your response, and I’m sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience at CoStar Group. We’ve been working to improve our employee experience, and have developed new ways to ... More

Maybe work here if you're fresh out of college...MAYBE

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great office space with nice perks an great location downtown, Ideal for someone straight out of college who has no idea what to do with their life.

Cons

Not a place to make a career. They promise you a bonus and take it away. Work is glorified data entry and is so mundane. In a way you are like a telemarketer, bothering people who DO NOT want to talk to you.

Nov 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. While CoStar Group isn’t the right fit for everyone, we’re developing new career paths for researchers to specialize in specific areas and work toward management and/or ... More

Independent Thinker? Stay away.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young employees. The Kool-aid is delicious at first...

Cons

Don't drink it...this place is poison. Managers are as clueless as the researchers. Probably from the misguidance of the director(s).

Clock in and clock out...nobody is steering this ship.

Stay Away

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Worst company that I have ever worked for. Management is a complete joke. If you are thinking of working for this company I would suggest that you think twice. Who has sales people that have no territories. Middle sales managers are in over their head and new head of sales is clueless.

All should move on. Ship is sinking

It's a sales job

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

People are friendly enough.

It's a nice building, with a young staff.

Cons

It's a sales job. You're essentially a telemarketer.

Try to get more people into the field.

You Get Back What You Put In

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*If you put your all in and actually try to be a dedicated employee and learn your market, you will have a great experience.
    *Great place to gain experience in the CRE field
    * Lots of potential for upward mobility, promotions (raises) occur quite often for researchers
    * Clearly defined goals and expectations.
    *Great office with awesome benefits
    *Work force is very young and active.
    * Lots of side projects, special teams, and opportunities to get some spotlight.
    * Job is very stable if you come in and work every day.

Cons

*Calls can be a bit monotonous, but only if you make it so.
    * You are forced to ACTUALLY do your job, so if you want to not do stuff for 5 hours a day, look elsewhere.
    * Job heavily depends on who your manager is.

* Ensure all managers have the same ideology when it comes to employee engagement
    * Focus on making the RAs feel like they are part of a team and passionate about their market.
    * Clearly illustrate opportunities for growth and allow your RAs to shine.

Could be worse, but not great

Current Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

- Great for post graduates looking to get their foot in the door and build some professional experience***
    - Atmosphere in Columbia is much more relaxed, and they do a good job at building a family feeling in the office. Casual Fridays are nice and they sometimes do nice events for the researchers.

Cons

- Salary is too low
    - Constantly changing bonus structure
    - Metrics are just flat out stupid**, two minute calls should not be cared about this much.
    - Office politics with managers, team of the month and monthly awards are always biased.
    - Lack of appreciation by brokers sometimes

- two minute calls mean nothing, change the metrics to something more reasonable and logical. Brokers don't want us wasting their time, we should not be punished for that.
    - pay more, you are a multi million dollar company thriving off our research. Research 1 should start out at least with 46 or 47 instead of 40, and it should go up from there. You can more than afford it.

Research

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

This company has great benefits and has a free membership. They feed people very healthy and have good health ins. Also the training is amazing, they send you to Washington, DC for two weeks or a month and pay for your food and stay.

Cons

The work can get very monotone with each day, because it's pretty much doing the same thing every day. There is nothing really bad at this job, people are really nice around you. They only people you wouldn't really want to deal with are the once that you talk with on the phone sometimes sometimes

Everyday is groundhog day... Nothing was you did yesterday matters today

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworker, I have made the best friends
    Free Food
    Decent benefits but are getting worse each year
    There is a lot to learn if you can also can learn it on the side while making your calls and checking on the boxes that show that you are a good employee
    Lots of young employees who like to grab a beer after work, great "how to make costar better" conversations after work because the only people who can understand what it is like to work for costar is other costar employees.

Cons

If you do not come out of the gates after training and get noticed, you might as well just leave. Because your prospect for success diminishes after 6 months of being there. After a year, you are ready to leave, and if get lucky with a decent manager that actually cares about you and your future as a professional worker, than you can make it longer. You have to find some bit of joy in job, focus on that, and try to make it through all the other crap they like to shell out.

They like to dump a bunch of projects on you at the last second, and treat it like its life or death to finish it, then it just goes away. Where did it go? Why did I stop everything to work on this project for nothing to come of it, and then get asked why I don't have enough phone calls.

If you start this company, in the first 6 months, just don't think about learning anything, just pick up the phone and call and talk to someone, anyone... Its not about who you talk to, its just about how long you talked to that person. If you are lucky enough to work in a market that has a big current event going on, such as a weather event or sports team in a playoff situation, then you are getting your calls for the day.