CoStar Group Reviews

367 reviews filtered by
2.6
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • decent benefits, decent location, so-so entry level exposure to commercial real estate (in 25 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 33 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 21 reviews)

1. Company does not listen

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Good Benefits
    Young co-workers

Cons

No one cares about your opinions.

Okay place to start, but get out quickly

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can't give too harsh a review of CoStar, because it was my first job out of college. They give professionals with little to no experience a chance. The environment is very structured, which keeps most employees focused and sharp. There were frequent training classes or seminars for tips on how to improve interview skills to maintain update frequency on client portfolios. There was certainly a competitive aspect as well, listing group winners on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis. The recognition, organization, and incentives here were definite pros.
    Also, there is a clear path of upward mobility from Research Associate, Analyst, Manager, etc. I found my Manager very accessible and also spoke with senior management a few times because I happened to be a top performer. The regular Town Halls from Andy (CEO) were also beneficial to understand the direction the company was going and how our goals should change.
    Simple perks like decent break area, fruit/snacks, and building amenities are pretty common in HQ offices as well. The company parties are hosted at impressive venues (museums oftentimes).

Cons

The actual employee program is one that I hope to never experience again. It felt sort of like a factory, cranking orientation groups through weeks of painfully boring training classes prior to their introduction to the actual day-to-day responsibilities. It was almost so regimented that there was zero room for creativity, suggestions, or personal growth.
    The career path is very limited to Sales or advancing your "Research" skills, which by the way, are not real research anyway but just google maps and archaic public record databases.
    The environment was also big brother-esque. Every phone call is recorded and employees are often singled out for etiquette, effectiveness, and random review. This keeps employees on their toes, but degrades the morale and overall culture of the group. I do understand the need for metrics as it relates to QA and performance reviews, but the metrics here were so stringent that again, it degraded your attitude and opinion of the company. For example, you have to log a number of phone calls (cold calls and to maintain existing portfolio) per day. These phone calls must be a certain length and quality and vary in purpose... sales deals, rentals, new business, vacant lot inquiries, etc. It can be very tedious trying to extract details on a closed deal from your clients. And you are penalized if they refuse to give you the information, no matter how persuasive you are. That to me, is an immovable KPI that is not entirely within the employee's control.
    The pay wasn't too great, in my opinion, although the regular review do allow opportunity for bonuses and increases to base salary.
    All in all, although CoStar gives people a chance, they do not invest in their employees. Point blank, the job as a Research Associate is painfully boring.

Ease up or diversify the KPIs. Cultivate a true researcher and web-based content ownership culture, instead of just counting the numbers. Make it more interesting to the employees for the purpose of client retention (turnover is horrendous).
    Don't force your employees to annoy their clients to the point of no return phone calls. You're doing more harm than good to your cause for free information.

This company believes in it's employees. They expect a lot but they give you all the tools to do the job!

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Consultant

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

the Culture is we are the best at what we do and no other company can give our clients what we have.

Cons

Working very hard and usually takes more than 40 hours if you are in sales and want to win.

Very glad there is growth and advancement opportunities with all of the CoStar companies.

What a Joke.......

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. That is all.

Cons

So many but the major issue here is that the culture of this company fosters an attitude towards not collecting talent. Even the best employee in the world will have off months or weeks but still has the same characteristics that made you praise them last month or the month before. I could tell you countless stories of people that were the darling of the company (Including Managers) one month but were then on the chopping block and fired a few months later. This is why everyone has a feeling of paranoia at every turn and it then soon becomes a job where everyone worried about the metrics only and is not using their unique skills and talents. Very short sided and based on the reviews here it is easy to see why. It is no surprise that some of there top sales people who were making a lot of money still decided to leave due to the culture. Some of these sales people were trotted around as the poster child of Costar but even they got tired of the CEO and his complete lack of focus on human capital. Until he changes his attitude the entire company will continue to embody his lack of caring for people. No many how many companies you buy Andy or encourage people to come to this site to give good reviews you will never be a beloved CEO until you show some genuine feelings back to the employees. Good Luck.

Do not follow the example of your CEO. Although this may make your time there short. Be yourself.

Its been awesome! Great company

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment and training

Cons

None really. Great experience so far

Keep up the good work !

7. Don't work here if you're looking for a challenge

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you work under the right manager, you'll be recognized for your hard work. You'll get a basic understanding of commercial real estate if you stay long enough. Benefits are comparable to government which are well known for being great. It's not a job you bring home with you or are stressed about outside of the office.

Cons

Despite what I mentioned about being recognized for hard work under the right manager, you won't necessarily be compensated based on that hard work. There is a quarterly bonus, but there is no transparency with respect to how that bonus is allocated amongst your team members.

The job is essentially day in and day out. Making calls to brokers, who for the most part, have no interest in speaking with you. The most rewarding part of the job will probably be sales comparable research, which demands, and I say this lightly, some actual research and digging. I've been thoroughly disappointed with my attempts to ask for more challenging work and projects from management with very little follow through.

I often question how management makes the decisions they do. The massive advertising campaign following our acquisition of apartments.com was referred to multiple times as 'very expensive' and the company just bought a plane for aerial field research. Why is none of the company's wealth going towards better compensating its employees? Free salads, snacks, and coffee do not make CoStar an enjoyable place to work.

Compensate employees better for their hard work. Acknowledge that this compensation doesn't necessarily have to be monetary. Contests (i.e. the apartments.com raffle) that reward employees by chance do not accomplish this.

Learn and Grow

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

-Rewarded for hardwork
    -Absorb tons of knowledge
    -Ability to move into new roles

Cons

-Daily changes can be hard to adjust too
    -Can be tedious and repetitive

-More open communication about expectations

CoStar has the worst practices ever

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Entry-level experience.. if you're okay with hating your job then it's fine.

Cons

You'll never ever get to come up with an original idea and contribute it. You have no sense of autonomy at all. There's no creativity, decision-making, or control over your career or your DAY. You are simply told exactly what to do, and are expected to do it (the same exact thing, everyday, for 8 hours...). Your own ideas or opinions are not welcome or encouraged. This is a very monotonous job, with no room for growth or promotion. Even the managers I feel bad for. They are taught a terrible management style. Management is so petty, controlling, gossip-driven, and they really mimic bullying in some ways. Once they decide they don't like you, they will make your life hell in every way possible. Also, the surveillance of employees is disturbing. Overall, I look back at my time at CoStar and thank the stars above I'm not there anymore. I absolutely LOVE my job now and see an incredible difference between a company run correctly and CoStar's train wreck. I can't express to you enough..... DON'T WORK THERE. It's degrading.

Hire a management consulting company, anyone above the age of 2 could tell you how to better run the company.

It all stems from the CEO

Current Employee - Contracts Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contracts Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks in break room. Very nice office. Shuttle to and from Metro Center. Ability to attend off site 3rd party Improvement courses (i.e. Excel advancement). Room for moving up

Cons

Very long hours in order to complete your job with no end in sight. The more you work, the more recognition given. Lack of job flexibility. It's clear that within upper management there is a lot of friction. Lack of communication interdepartmentally.

Let go of your pride and do what's best for your people and they will return the favor and do what's best for CoStar.

In Retrospect.... 2 years after I left.

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

+ Good benefits package, much better than most benefit packages in the private sector.
    + Free food, snacks and transit reimbursement.
    + Solid base pay (but bonus was another thing).

Cons

+ Metrics, hands down. Insane focus on them, even to the point of being highly counterproductive. Even better, I found out management was deliberately slowing down the CRM client at the end of the bonus period to diminish the bonuses researchers qualified for. I thought at first I was just being paranoid, but then found irrefutable evidence supporting it. Deep credibility loss of the company at this point, especially since they quietly buried my findings.
    + 2 minute phone calls. Had a top multifamily client who initially was providing essential data, but never ending continuous calls and harassment by sales and other researchers reversed the high profile client's relationship completely and refused to provide ANY information going forward. I don't blame the researchers/sales at all, they had to keep up with their calls somehow. Also, just FYI, one reason you lost a major client in my market (who shall remain nameless) was due to the phone calls. So, good decision to keep this "award winning" metric.
    + Bonuses. Was told I did everything necessary to earn a bonus one quarter, and it was not paid out despite verbal assurances from Director. That's NOT ok, I kept my end of the bargain in every measure, but the company refused to honor their end of the bargain, and were quite aggressively arrogant about it as well. Needless to say, after that, I merely focused on minimum standards. Why waste my time and resources to end up with nothing? Well, ok, I did get something, a lack of motivation that the clients could read like a book, even over the phone. And no, I wasn't deliberately unmotivated, just kind of hard to keep positive when your misleading me for nonsensical reasons.
    + Culture. Based on backstabbing, gossip, and frivolous reasons for getting people fired. As much as the company denies this, it's pretty obvious. I was there for 8 plus years, pulling the wool over my eyes is not going to work at this stage. I have every reason to believe the petty culture will continue. Ironically, I was on the good end of this culture, but felt silently ashamed to be a part of it.
    + Big Brother Atmosphere. People were afraid to hang out in the break room, for good reason. People felt it was bugged, and some conversations I overheard between managers, directors and even VPs confirmed they were at least spying on their employees in weird ways. Yes, it's your company, but does management have enough to do? Maybe 2 minute phone calls for each manager, that way you can keep them busy and explain the overhead to the stockholders.

Actually listen to your employees, it's obvious your only trying to make superficial outward changes to these issues. You've continued this for many years when I was there (and still do from what contacts over there tell me), CoStar has a great potential to be a great place to work. Remember, I took a job that pays substantially less just to leave, that's not good for the company in general, the economy, or the many clients who were understandably confused why I would leave as they felt my work quality and ethic was outstanding. I still keep in touch with employees who tell me it's the same as it was when I was there two years ago. When I hear from them that it's gotten better, I will believe it. Until then, your credibility is gone.

CoStar Group Response

Mar 27, 2015

We appreciate the feedback, but I wish you would have shared it before you left the company two years ago, as it would have been far more relevant and useful. Our company has massively grown in the ... More