CoStar Group Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
2.4

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • The company is alsp a great place to get a broad overview of commercial real estate (in 25 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 33 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

reviews on glass door

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is nothing much good to say about this organization. Read the various reviews and realize the recent positive ones look to be plants from company to balance all the negative ones.

Cons

This is an invasive company. Ask yourself why key cards are used to Exit the HQ building. It is not security, it is to keep tabs on employees whereabouts. While you can get a basic understanding of real estate, that is not the goal. It is a churn 'em, burn 'em environment - lots of turnover. Morale low.

No advice. Top slot is occupied by a control freak. Overheard a debate re an asset sale - ceo said he did not believe the numbers and to pull the wave file from the actual call. Nothing more to say.

Grow up complainers

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

CoStar is a great company to work for. Hard workers are always rewarded regardless of what you may read on this website. I have seen many people succeed either by being promoted from within the company or by using the experience they have gained to move on to other careers. Before you apply or accept the position you should think about whether this is a job you would enjoy doing. If you love sitting behind your phone texting or browsing social media etc all day then this is not for you. The company prides itself on actually talking to people (you get a lot more info this way rather than sending 20 emails). If this is your first corporate job, you may feel that you are not being treated fairly however , calls are recorded for quality, cameras are there to protect proprietary software as well as the premises and I and many of my peers of not care to hear your personal calls. Entry level candidates should also understand that goals are set to reflect the overall business goals, not to punish you.

Cons

This is a fast faced working environment with directives that can change quickly. This is because any growing business needs to adapt to continue to expand and succeed. Those who do not like change and find it difficult to take directive should not apply.

It's a job.

Current Employee - Research Associate I  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits. The company is growing and expanding. A dynamic industry. The product is information, and people always need information.

Cons

Work ok an RA in a level 1 portfolio is just making calls. I also dont see how the work I am doing really matters in the big picture. The company is metric oriented where the numbers are more important than the quality of the data.

Change the metrics to a much more quality focused approach not just "get 10 2min calls per day."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They don't care about their employees

Current Employee - Research Associate II  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entry-level experience. Leave as soon as possible.

Cons

They are really shady and not transparent at all. They try to make you believe there is room for growth, but there really isn't. They make arbitrary decisions all the time about your performance and their expectations. You work hard all quarter to maintain good metrics, then they tell you they arbitrarily decided to have some random metric be a cut-off and you aren't getting a bonus. You start out feeling excited and motivated about the job but that is completely compromised after a short time of putting up with their BS. Also, they play favorites SO bad, it's painfully blatant. If you aren't a suck-up trying to talk to your director about non-work-related topics all day long, you won't get far.

Also, they are really petty and treat you like children. They tell you to stay in your seat and don't socialize with others. They don't let you use your computer during your lunch break. You can't take personal phone calls without going to another floor or outside, which makes it difficult to do anything like call your bank, make a doctor's appointment, or any other everyday life task.

They don't care about hearing advice, but if they did they might acknowledge researchers as more than data-entry machines. Also, they would realize being petty really makes people hate their jobs even more than they already do. Be FLEXIBLE.

A company with a lot of opportunity

Current Employee - Research Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is growing rapidly and there is a lot of opportunity for someone who really wants it. No company is without its challenges, but I've found that as Research Manager who has overseen a wide scope of researchers, the ones that found it the most challenging and have vented on here are those that never worked in a metrics-based or sales environment before, and it can be culture shock. CoStar gives opportunities to a lot of people fresh out of college who have never worked in a professional work environment before and the high expectations that come of a fast-paced, dynamic environment such as this can be difficult to acclimate to. Once you get past all that, it's a fun environment with great leadership and someone who works hard and really wants to move up will excel here. I've just passed my 1-year mark and am looking forward to what's next.

Cons

It can be difficult to engage and motivate employees who have this position as their first job. CoStar should seek more new hires who have at least 1-2 years of professional work experience under their belt. I think this would really help attrition.

Communication is key. The leadership here is great and I have learned a lot from the directors. Sometimes the communication gets broken down, but there are plans in place to improve it. Also, the workshops like comps clinics were very helpful -- they have stopped for several months - they are many people who could really benefit from it and I think they need to bring that back.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at CoStar for over 18 month as a Research Associate before transitioning into a brokerage firm. One of the core responsibilities as an RA was to interview the contacts (usually brokers) in your market. I never appreciated it while I was doing the work but having those conversations enabled me to not only learn about CRE but they taught me to be persistent in asking questions, creative in facing objections, and confident in leading conversations. Those are the skills that I've taken into my new role as a broker.
    As for the company, there are a number of opportunities for RAs to grow. The company is the leader in their space and they are very good at promoting from within.

Cons

Although there are a number of opportunities the company needs to do a better job of formalizing a career path so it is more clear for each employee.

Senior management is great in identifying new opportunities (i.e. LoopNet, Apartments, PPR, etc.) that will enhance the experience for their clients. I hope they continue to look for these great compliments to their service. I will benefit as a current client.

Maximum frustration, and zero job security

Former Employee - Research Associate I  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent Benefits, free snacks in the break room. Also, on-site gym, which was relatively new.

Cons

You are expected to keep your portfolio of information up-to-date at company-specified intervals, which they shift around and change at a whim. As in, they tell you to keep a certain goal, and once you're near or past it, they change the goal, which interestingly enough is what they base bonuses off of. Erego, don't expect bonuses, a laughably low number of people did when I worked there.

Every aspect of everything you do will be monitored here, to a creepy level. Websites you go to, all phone calls are recorded and kept, even the break rooms are wired with video cameras and condensor microphones.

On top of all of that, you have zero job security. They had a ridiculously high turnover rate when I was there. I, myself, was fired without notice or warning on a Tuesday, for allegedly trying to to run-up the time lengths of my phone calls (have to have a high number of calls over a minute, which is harder when you have to keep calling the same people who always hang up on you). Nevermind that I had reported phone issues to my supervisor, his supervisor, and the IT department at least 3 times per person. Did not matter to them, they had perfect confidence in their employe-tracking, and so I was out. Might have had something to do with the fact that the very same week was my 6-month marker being there, which would have meant that my friend who brought me on would get a signing bonus. I can't prove anything for certain, but they seemed to have a habit of firing people in month 5 of their tenure.

Also, don't expect to get promoted. One of of Twenty of the managers in my department was promoted from within, the rest were outside hires. And I know that their #1 researcher, statistically, they kept as a researcher without promotion for over a year, until he resigned, because they wanted to keep him as a researcher.

Don't treat your employees like disposable refuse. Focus more on accuracy of data than "timely update metrics" determined within the company, that are impossible to relate or benchmark to anything or anyone outside of the company. Why should I care if your data was updated yesterday if it says a building is on 1 square foot of land, when it should say 1 acre (I came across an upsetting number of property listings with this error).

Meh....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great coworkers. good compensation (used to be great).
    nice offices

Cons

no work life balance.
    senior management is delusional.
    goals and projects change on a whim, causing constant time waste
    new employees get great perks, old ones get nothing
    getting a thank you from anyone other than your peers is impossible

value your employees that stayed with the company through your growth. we are underpaid in comparison to acquired employees, and vastly underappreciated.
    you can't expect certain groups to work weekends, every weekend.
    please start appreciating what you have.

more work, less pay

Current Employee - Research Photographer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Photographer in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, company is stable and growing.

Cons

Pay structure is based on very low base pay with a promise of large performance bonuses. Bonuses requirements are constantly changing. Usually retroactive. In 2 years the structure has improved once, got worse 3 times. Job has recently changed from still photography and data gathering to mostly video. Current system is that most of the work moving forward does not earn any sort of bonus. Real effective pay is $13-14 an hour for a professional photographer, videographer, & video editor.
    The company has tons of money to spend, but not on salary.

pay your staff.

good

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

the invidual teams within the company were great. we all hung out aside from work as well which made it easier to get through the day

Cons

these policies were atrocious

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!