CoStar Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Contract Specialist

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

The company itself is very forward-thinking, innovative and have healthy initiatives. My colleagues were great to work with. Program Developers are on their game, constant updates to keep up with times / changing markets.

Cons

It's hard not to feel like a number because the company is so huge. I have to talk to a supervisor to talk to a manager to talk to my director to talk to HR...

Advice to Management

Take more time in seeing whether people should be promoted to a "management" role - aka make sure they are a "people person" and actually know how to deal with a team...

May 28, 2015

We appreciate the feedback. I want to make sure you know that the lines of communication are more open than you may think. Any inter-departmental questions you may have can often be handled more ... More

Photographer, Videographer, Photo & Video Editor, Field Researcher & Customer Service

Current Employee - Field Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Fast paced, constantly changing dynamic environment.

Cons

Un-resonable expectations, constant micro management, high stress, constant rush to meet un-resonable deadlines. Military style one way comunication.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees in the field.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Job is really easy, so it was a stress-free paycheck while I found my next thing - Will never take work home with you, but it's not like you're engaged enough to want to do that - Transit subsidy - If you are in grad school, this is a BS job to help get some money while studying - I probably got "worst job you ever had" out of the way at a young age

Cons

- Your entire job is data entry, fueled by cold calling, with a splash of luke-warm calls - You are simply a cog in the machine - Everyone is equally unhappy with their job; won't exactly be inspired by the passion of your coworkers - Don't believe the false promise about the training class teaching you commercial real estate principles; the training is 3 days of really basic stuff like "this is what an industrial building is", followed by 7 days of learning the software, and then 10 days of cold calling training - You do the same thing every day, over and over. Gets old very fast. - I guess $40,000 is ok if you've never had a job, but your soul is worth more than that. Not enough money to be miserable - No ability to work from home, so no flexibility. Either come in or use one of you slowly accruing vacation days, no matter the weather. This isn't high school, no one is asking for an off day in a snowstorm, just the ability to work from home. - Quickly realized I was overqualified, and got out fast because it weakened my resume - Perhaps most egregiously, they have completely ruined Jeff Goldblum for me with an awful marketing campaign

Advice to Management

I'll add that this review is only for the research part of the company. This job could be done by people with high school diplomas or outsourced to the 2nd world to save some money. However, sales, product development, marketing, etc. seem to be good places to work and the company itself is growing really fast. My advice would be to have some process to find people who can handle more challenging work early on in the process. I get that the company wants to reward people who have been here, but you are losing intelligent people who don't want to spend 18 months on the phones before doing any sort of real work. The Patagonia jackets for a company gift were nice, but I'd trade a rain jacket for enjoying my job.

Jun 29, 2015

As is the case for most research roles in any company, all research associates input information into our database in order to provide content to the product our customers subscribe to. But our ... More

Great

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Work Life Balance ,Benefits, Culture, room for growrh. I like the direction that CoStar is going in. Great company to get your foot into the world of commercial real estate.

Cons

There are no cons in my eyes. I enjoy what I do and getting to learn more on the job everyday is a fun experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. Great Company

Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the direction the company is headed in. We have a product that our sales team can stand behind. Our CEO is cutting edge and is always looking for ways to improve and grow the business. Plus, there are loads of extra perks (i.e. free bike share program, segways to use whenever, free lunch, breakfast and snacks, free gym and classes, etc). The work is fast paced and there are always changes, but I find that makes coming to work interesting.

Cons

Nothing that stands out so far.

May 28, 2015

Thanks for the feedback, it’s great to hear you’re enjoying CoStar Group’s success and employee benefits!

research associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Great work atmosphere in great environment with hard working people. excellent training initiative programs and overall professional place to work with numerous benefits and exciting opportunities to advance.

Cons

Not many down sights to working at this firm. The work / life atmosphere was well balanced. the career opportunities allow for divergence within the firm along with possible transfers across branches depending on the availability of openings.

Advice to Management

Continue to work hand in hand with employees and take feedback that can be used to make the company and work environment even greater than what it is presently.The anbility to teach and to learn from employees should also be place in high regards.

Apr 28, 2015

It’s great to hear you’re enjoying your time at CoStar Group. We love for our employees to be able to develop in their time at the company, which is why we put an emphasis on training opportunities ... More

High Turnover for a Reason

Former Employee - Research Associate in White Marsh, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in White Marsh, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, fun, people. Great office space. Nice camaraderie.

Cons

It's all about numbers and metrics. If you're a research associate for an area that isn't hopping, it's difficult to reach metrics. They encourage you to use weasley ways to find out information about brokered deals. Little appreciation for long hours worked.

Jun 25, 2015

We appreciate the feedback, and take information like this into account when we look at how we can evolve and improve the workplace for our employees – and we have actually made changes that are ... More

Territory Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate atmosphere Great Benefits

Cons

recently acquired several companies so going through a lot of changes..not much room for growth in other departments other than research or sales.

May 28, 2015

Research and Sales are our largest departments and as a result there are many options for personal growth to accommodate such a large workforce, but that’s not to say our other departments are ... More

Fear factor

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

Free food ! Salads, Breakfast, Fruit - huge time saver. Good compensation package

Cons

After going through a grueling interview process to hire what they call the "A" players...you find yourself working on fixing little bugs here and there. When it comes to contributing to design and architecture, a lot of control freaks who want to call the shots. Not to forget, you can sense the fear among staff - a lot of yes men.

Good Starting Point in Real Estate if you have no Experience

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Introduction into Commercial Real Estate -Specialized teams (I-Comps) you can actually learn more about finance, development, capital markets investments -Learned a lot about CRE through specialized research and was able to translate that into a better job in real estate in DC -The office is nice

Cons

-The true research position, in basic portfolio research, is a glorified marketing telemarketer. Basically your job is to be in the ear of everyone in the industry and promote the word that is CoStar. The database is so big and basically operates on its own at this point. These calls often times sever relationships. Let people do research however it works the best not have a constant whip at their back to make pointless phone calls so the team number goes up. -A facade of movement-For example the company has created a false sense of movement by making positions like the "market analyst" that really doesn't have a job but instead took away from what the former PPR analysts were doing and have just slowed down the production of information due to a large number of uneducated persons writing reports. Accept CoStar for what it is and leave the smart people in positions where they can contribute. -Management on the research level is horrible. Outside hires make little to zero sense other than they don't ask questions, but I guess that's what CoStar wants for that position. One manager managing a major market in CoStar couldn't even point out the different sub-markets in her market on a map. Literally your only job is to know research and you can't do that? Speaks to the management loud and clear. -The biggest problem with CoStar is the employees constant feeling of worthlessness in the industry. As a researcher or sales rep you feel that you are less than other professionals in the industry (IE brokers or analysts). I even had a manager tell me basically that we were below them. The management does a great job at keeping this mentality up by their constant in ability to understand real estate as well as to understand what real relationships are in the industry. As an equal in the industry you shouldn't constantly feel worthless as an employee and less than a broker who works at Cushman, CBRE. Train your employees more. -The ability to strangle any outside the box thinking. At CoStar you are told to do one thing and it can choke the life out of your creativeness and ability to work and learn in the industry. -Failure to pay smart people One thing that really is awful here is the failure to recognize individuals who actually think and analyze the work they are doing. I saw countless people get promoted who simply sat down and didn't ask questions or even attempt to learn real estate but instead just plugged numbers in. -Team projects, ha what a joke. The Directors will present team projects for example (the True Owner or Property Management project). The project was designed to capture the real owners and property managers of 1000s of assets, instead it was blindly inserting false information into the database to make a number go up. Managers will have researchers plug in 1000s of fake contacts (information) into the "reliable" database just to see the numbers go up. The pressure from the upper management causes the manager and the Director to simply turn there eye and reward the research associates for putting in false information, pretty ludicrous right? Not only did the management ignore what was really happening but rewarded those who had falsified hundreds of contacts at the end of the quarter as "researchers of the month" or those individuals received higher bonuses. Its really eye opening to watch people put false information into the database and not only be promoted but praised by management who know that the numbers are false. It's the classic facade of false performance and reward for false performance that really is CoStars whole motto on the research and director level.

Advice to Management

-Fire everyone who is a manager or Director in portfolio research and bring in some decent real estate professionals. -Create a 2 year contract model for the research associate. Bring in talented people and compensate them more for their work. After two years the work force will be ready to enter into the industry. You can afford higher salaries because you will not need to promote. It will be more competitive plus will add to the experience if you know that the job is a two year deal. -Stop hiring idiots to manage.

May 28, 2015

Researchers provide value to the people they call, helping them to earn a living by putting their information online. Like anyone else, brokers and other real estate professionals can have bad days ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed