CoStar Group Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

2.5

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • Good intro for learning about commercial real estate (in 21 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 32 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Get experience and leave

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good start for someone coming out of college. Stay for one year max and leave. You'll probably get fired anyway since the place is a revolving door. Most researchers are fresh out of college so you get cheap healthcare.

Cons

Run like a dictatorship. Expect to come to work during hurricanes, when metro is closed, and your state declares a state of emergency.

Orwellian Joke

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

Great contacts, colleagues become
    close through shared misery.

Cons

Lousy pay, culture of fear, everyone hates their job.

Make research a job not loathed by every single employee.

All about quantity. No regards for quality. No regards for employees. Upper management incompetent and indifferent.

Former Employee - Field Research Photographer
    Former Employee - Field Research Photographer

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent benefits. I can't say anything other than that. The pay is lower than average and the management is corrupt and incompetent.

Cons

This job was actually worse than telemarketing. Positions are structured ridiculously. Salary positions are paid hourly without overtime. Earning a living requires make bonuses. Making Bonuses requires that you work too quickly to produce anything of quality. Management is corrupt and incompetent. Metrics force employees to focus on only quantity.

Get rid of CEO and almost all of the upper management. Replace them with competent and in-touch professionals who understand what they're doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't be a sucker! Research before applying!!!...You have been warned!

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Leaving! And maybe the supply of healthy foods

Cons

It's all a numbers game folks! There is absolutely NO appreciation for the work you do. Managers and directors say demorilizing things and constantly threaten to fire you. It's the same work everyday....sucha a drag. No job security, so keep those numbers up or you will be part of the yearly "mass fire".

R-E-S-P-E-C-T your employees!

Great Place ONLY If You Like CRE

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Location
    Company Used To Have Verizon Center Box Seats
    Good Intro in CRE
    Stay Here One Year MAX

Cons

I could really write a 20 page essay on why I hated my experience there. The "metrics" never truly show how hard someone works. I could be put on hold for 2 minutes while another call will actually have some data collection but only be 1:59. There is no room to grow within the company. A lot of the people you will be working with do not care on bit about commercial real estate. It is only a day job to them. In fact, managers who will be managing you do not care about commercial real estate. Every Monday, people who I did not know would just say "ughh so mad its Monday again". People did not want to be at work! Everyone I did work with was ALWAYS looking for another opportunity. People who went to work for Sales, Research, Recruiting, Accounting etc all hated their work.
    Loopnet is A LOT better in that the information is "cleaner" and updated. CoStar information in reality is not worth what the clients pay for. I know this because I personally use both CoStar and Loopnet for outside of work purposes. (Be sure to use the company just as much as they use you)
    Don't depend on HR to help you if you have troubles either. I've seen it all when it comes to mistreatment by mangers based on someone's sex or race. Reports were made to HR but no action was made towards the manager.
    To progress through this company is really a luck of the draw. Hope that you get a manager that is somewhat nice. If you do, you still have to get suck up to your manager or get them to like you enough for them to even consider recommending you for another job within the company.
    For what researchers go through 40k is just not enough. To get paid (actually less after taxes) as much as what my college cost per year doesn't cut it. The job doesn't require a college degree but since they make it a requirement, CoStar needs to pay out more than the debt I acquired per year to even be educated for their "high level" job plus the cost of living in DC. For the stress anyone is put under, its just not worth 40k. My two cents? Know your worth and don't waste your life away at a desk, making calls, for change that will barely pay for you to live in the DC area for another month. Don't do a mundane job so Andy Florance can only live his dream out by building a CRE information powerhouse. If you do take this job, make sure you get as much out of them as they get out of you.

My advice? Don't look down on researchers as people. The CEO and CFO have often walked around the office and looked at us as we were sweat shop employees. A fellow in upper management has actually told coworkers to "find another conference room because the CFO needs this more than you do" even though we had the room reserved. There are other ways of going about it. Treat employees with some type of respect.

The main purpose for senior management is to make money for their shareholders. I get that. 100%. The stock has been running for months now and the company is only expanding. The solution to your research department problem though all begins in who you are hiring. Why hire people who do not care about CRE? Any response would be "Well people who work at McDonalds don't actually care about the culinary industry". This is true and at the end of the day McDonalds just wants to make money just like CoStar. If money is the only thing you care about (which I know shareholders care about to) then you will continue to have a disgruntled workforce just like McDs.

Strong Company, but Could be so Much Better

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salespeople can make a lot of money in the right situation (good market, good regional director)

Cons

Atmosphere of fear and intimidation. No work/life balance.

Put together a better training/orientation program that enables salespeople to hit the ground running when they get into the field. Let the emperor (Andy) know he has no clothes.

Worst Job Ever, stay away

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-free snacks, and free juice
    -their analytic platform is genius
    - the system is very user friendly

Cons

-pay is low
    -office environment is high pressure
    -glass ceiling, no promotions
    -evaluation system is terrible
    -micromanagement is their culture
    -tasks are repetitive
    -after one month you will lose your mind

Listen to your employees

I Hate My Job

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free snacks, and coffee
    - Free perks such as bike rental
    - Co-Workers are awesome
    - PR team
    - I am leaving soon, no point in staying somewhere where you are not treated and valued like a human being.

Cons

- No room for growth
    - Sweat shop worthy
    - It's a dictatorship environment( micromanaged)
    - If you don't perform, you get fired. The metric system is so messed up, you're already screwed before you even start
    - Management doesn't have a clue about anything except for wanting you to work
    - It's a telemarketing job with leads that renew every month, and your job is to punch in data
    - The training program/orientation program is the worst, it doesn't really test your knowledge
      I've seen really smart people fall through the cracks on this one because of how horrible training is.
      (HIRE REAL CONTRACTED TRAINERS, NOT FORMER STAFF MEMBERS)
    - Rain, Hail, Snow, Armageddon (We are still open)
    - The interview process is non sense. You literally go through about 5 rounds for a telemarketing position
    - HR is always losing stuff, paperwork, your phone number, transcripts etc...had to resend mine a couple of times because someone wasn't doing their job.
    - The same old snack can get tiresome after a while..switch if up. Maybe a little cereal, and other types of breakfast food like pop tarts, or pastries wouldn't hurt. (YOU HAVE THE $$ FOR IT)
    - Rarely get paid your bonus one time.
    - Greed is very bad, management needs to start looking at how they can compensate the little guys instead of using them to get their bonus. It's a screwed up system overall.

- Do your homework
    - Treat your researchers with some respect
    - Be honest about the career path for your employees
    - Don't sell me a dream, sell me a career
    - Read these reviews, make some changes. The culture is terrible, it's run like a sweat shop. Pay your researches when they reach their quota.
    - I guarantee if you focus a little bit more on the employees, you will be one of the best places to work in America because it's a very innovative company.

Research Associate

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

CoStar Group is a good job for recent grads who are interested in commercial real estate. I started out there, and then was able to get a better paying job as a research analyst at another commercial real estate company. They have great health care and other benefits. They also give out quarterly bonuses, which can really add up.

Cons

It is an intense job, with some recent hires being fired during phone training. However, CoStar rarely fires researchers after they get a couple months under their belt

Although a lot is said about providing opportunities for researchers to grow, you need to make sure that those opportunities are readily available for well performing researchers. You should have a lot more training classes for researchers to be promoted to research associate II.

Depends On Your Manager

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good intro to CRE
    -Great benefits
    -Beautiful building

Cons

-Extremely High Turnover
    -No advancement opportunities
    -Employees have low morale
    -Unfair compensation

They won't listen so no need to waste my breath

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!