CoStar Group

CoStar Group Reviews in San Diego, CA

2.5

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • Good intro for learning about commercial real estate (in 21 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 32 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

co-start company

Former Employee - Area Representative  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Area Representative in San Diego, CA

Pros

- great training program gives you insight into Real Estate
    - if you like talking on the phone instead of face to face its great

Cons

- boring job in general
    - sitting down all day

I personally needed more diversity in my schedule - I can't sit still all day...but it's the nature of the job

Lame

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Steady pay check and hours are fixed for the most part. Paid holidays and good health insurance provided

Cons

Very boring job, low chances of getting higher pay or moving up. Management is very unprofessional and don't have good management practices . Training is the worst I ever had.

Need to be better at motivating employees and training

One of the worst experiences of my life

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good benefits, matching (albeit at half of what it was) company 401k plan, good health insurance, good vacation and sick time.

Cons

Changing metrics, managers have no power, bonuses get taken away at the last minute, need for long duration calls even when other projects are expected

Listen to your employees please.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

salary ok, benefits ok, time off flexibility ok

Cons

Terrible management. Fear filled environment. Extremely stressful with the metrics that are ever changing and multiple projects. Management could careless about you as a person. Treated like a robot. They would work you to death if they could. Christmas party each year was a joke! Bowling parties is ridiculous for grown adults. Lack of respect! It was the WORSE job I'd ever had, and I'm not a 20 something either. I have work experience.

Respect your employees as people.

Can I get my 7 years back?

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Stable and regular normal basic salary (bonus used to be a pro), they offer employee mental health services free (trust me, you'll need it after a few years there), decent health and dental benefits (not the best, but better than a lot of places). I got my own toll free phone number (yes, that's actually a highlight, they are light on everything else). I'm in an office outside DC, so we don't get the Segway's, fresh fruit, yoga classes, etc.... We used to get 100% match on the 401k, but they cut it down to 50% (they said due to the bad economy, while mentioning a sentence later how they had $200 million cash sitting idle in the bank, and not to worry too much)...

Cons

When I first started, I figured this was an employer who was different in a good way and I worked hard as a result, little did I know what I was about to get into. About 6 months after my hire date, I started seeing things that seemed wrong, management was always delaying bonuses and finding little comical reasons to keep people down. They'd change the metrics over and over, but soon I caught on to their game. I'm completely convinced (my opinion) that management takes pleasure in belittling researchers, for 7 years I listened to how they "we're trying to fix things". They have been "trying" for more than ten years (from other RA's I've talked to, way before I even started).

Keep in mind, the "positive" reviews are typically written by those outside research and/or have worked there for less than 6 months, which is most people in the HQ/DC office. A year after I started, the all too common recurrences of computer crashes, highly delayed/dropped bonus payouts, highly suspect measurements with a metrics system that takes a NASA rocket scientist with a PhD in Quantum Physics to figure out, convinced me they were not "really" trying to fix anything. This is all part of the standard operating procedure, make the researchers job as frustrating as possible so they can take the bonus money away (hence the "complex" metrics, makes it easier to create a reason for failure) and recoup the 401K match when you quit. Of course, quitting is ideal for them, since they can now save on unemployment insurance.

I realize that companies by nature are not necessarily "nice", however, there is a clear need for a change up in management. The clear "cheaters" who dump suspect to totally fabricated data are often those who are richly rewarded and those who actually try to provide customer service are often targets for managements wrath. In the "cheaters" defense, however, I can certainly understand why they "cheat" as is in many cases it is a survival mechanism, as management is abnormally fixated on genuinely meaningless metrics/numbers and judges an employees value by where they show up on a spreadsheet (preferably in the Top 10%). My favorite is the 15-20 one minute calls (excuse me, two minute calls now), it not only wastes the researchers time, but it also annoys the clients to high heaven and produces very little if any actual value of any kind.

And "filling" that spreadsheet with their "numbers" is essentially your only goal. "Success" and moving up the career ladder is basically "random selection", where the lucky have fruitful portfolios and can get away with just about anything in some cases. If you get unlucky enough to inherit a underperforming portfolio, it typically means your career is already long over before it starts. More often than not, once your in the bottom, you stay there, typically forever (at least until you make the wise decision to seek other opportunities outside research). And, obviously, the ones in unproductive portfolios tend to leave first, so the new hires typically on their first day out of training "go directly to jail, they don't pass go and collect $200!".

Their Gollum like obsession with micromanagement (more like Nanomanagement, if that's a word?) is also noteworthy, with the totally unnecessary, counterproductive, negative and threatening "big brother" atmosphere. Even when I actually made a $3,000+ bonus one quarter, I didn't feel good at all, more like a juvenile offender facing 20 years hard labor. I wanted to give my last bonus ($170+) back from three months work after their biased metrics math was applied in exchange for a slight ounce of simple basic respect (which is easy and free).

Retire....... Please............

not very good to research staff

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in San Diego, CA

Pros

great starter job for people right out of college. Benefits.

Cons

no career path. dictatorship. lack of respect for research as well as clients.

invest in research

Least favorable position of a lifetime

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

They provide free coffee and, every now and when we've been good, they let us wear casual clothes. They also fulfill their promise of free (streetside) parking. You are allowed to take initiative on things.

Cons

People with seniority tend to be pompous dead weight. They like to have an opinion, but don't want to do the work.

There are two ways to manage: Trust employees, which means that they are capable, committed, and responsible, or don't trust employees. The latter means that you will have to understand every task of every employee at all times in every location. Employees and management should work together on commitments and everyone should be held accountable (not blamed).
    Most importantly, seniority is not the same thing as excellence. Don't be afraid to expect better from folks that have been around awhile.

One of the Biggest Mistakes of My Life

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good pay for a glorified telemarketer with essentially no experience. Nice, youthful coworkers. Benefits were pretty good.

Cons

Monotonous job. No job advancement opportunities. Ever changing metrics/goals. Managers have no authority to do anything. You are at the mercy of senior management. Better not fall into the bottom 30, even if you're not sure what metrics you need to meet for that corner (because they're always changing). It's a dog eat dog world, and everyone there is so worried about their job, that no one will put their self on the line if they see something wrong.

Listen to your researchers. The only thing the employee task force accomplished was getting one Friday off for the San Diego office!

Big brother is watching

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

People seemed nice and you could easily make friends. The company provided good training and feedback, along with encouragement from its bonuses.

Cons

You always had to clock in and clock out which felt like nobody trusted you to do your work and everything was on a metric system which made things seem impersonal. People that had been loyal to the company for years could get the boot with no real sign of loyalty from the company. It felt like they were always hiring and firing, making it a revolving door.

Treat employees as people rather than just a metric or number and you might not have so many people fleeing within a year.

RUN!

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Decent base if you are 23 with no work history. Ability to make 60k-70k with bonus after a while if you sell your soul. (Don't count on it) Used to have good 401k matching and benefits. (Both are now cut)

Cons

I have worked here for a few years and really, really need to leave the company. It's gotten to the point where I have trouble getting to sleep Sunday night as I dread walking in to sit in the cubicle and make my 1 minute calls. I'm sure I don't need to point out all of the things there are to hate as it appears to be well documented. One thing I didn't notice mentioned here is that they fight hard in court against granting unemployment benefits which is a good indication of their overall mentality towards their employees.

More pay + less metrics = more stable workforce with less turnover. The quality of research that I hear on the phones is laughable. There are teams of 10 with a combined 2 years of experience.

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!