CoStar Group

Updated December 17, 2014
2.5

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • decent benefits, decent location, so-so entry level exposure to commercial real estate (in 25 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 33 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

148 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You Get Back What You Put In

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*If you put your all in and actually try to be a dedicated employee and learn your market, you will have a great experience.
    *Great place to gain experience in the CRE field
    * Lots of potential for upward mobility, promotions (raises) occur quite often for researchers
    * Clearly defined goals and expectations.
    *Great office with awesome benefits
    *Work force is very young and active.
    * Lots of side projects, special teams, and opportunities to get some spotlight.
    * Job is very stable if you come in and work every day.

Cons

*Calls can be a bit monotonous, but only if you make it so.
    * You are forced to ACTUALLY do your job, so if you want to not do stuff for 5 hours a day, look elsewhere.
    * Job heavily depends on who your manager is.

* Ensure all managers have the same ideology when it comes to employee engagement
    * Focus on making the RAs feel like they are part of a team and passionate about their market.
    * Clearly illustrate opportunities for growth and allow your RAs to shine.

Terrible

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food, had a decent Christmas party.

Cons

Dull, monotonous work, all numbers-based, with no heed to quality or other work that was equally relevant. Basically cold-calling or lukewarm-calling people who generally don't want to talk to you. Pay was not that great. Refused to pay a bonus for a quarter I had worked the entirety of.

Make life for research associates less miserable.

Fast moving company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, process and technology are top notch. Issues are handled in a well define and understandable manner. The management knows where it wants to go and how it is going to get there. The benefits are very good and the compensation is above average.

Cons

The company is very aggressive about how they want to get from point A to point B. This aggressive behavior has a downside in alienating people that work in lower tiered positions.

Continue to stay the course. The stock price reflects how you are doing.

Nov 21, 2014

We appreciate your feedback, and it’s great to hear you enjoyed your time at CoStar Group.

I felt usless

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They had decent benefits and the main office was nice.

Cons

The job and the potential growth as an employee was dismal.

Dec 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, and I’m sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience at CoStar Group. We value everyone who works here, and they should feel valued at the same time. But it ... More

Maybe work here if you're fresh out of college...MAYBE

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great office space with nice perks an great location downtown, Ideal for someone straight out of college who has no idea what to do with their life.

Cons

Not a place to make a career. They promise you a bonus and take it away. Work is glorified data entry and is so mundane. In a way you are like a telemarketer, bothering people who DO NOT want to talk to you.

Nov 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. While CoStar Group isn’t the right fit for everyone, we’re developing new career paths for researchers to specialize in specific areas and work toward management and/or ... More

Stay Away

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Worst company that I have ever worked for. Management is a complete joke. If you are thinking of working for this company I would suggest that you think twice. Who has sales people that have no territories. Middle sales managers are in over their head and new head of sales is clueless.

All should move on. Ship is sinking

Tedious work, but great environment and amenities.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workplace was great. Beautiful, great locations, lots of perks.

Cons

The work is really tedious. Boring stuff, and management RIDES you for it.

I think management does a great job. The nature of the work requires they be super demanding. Hard to deal with, but I see no other way.

Very beneficial. If one is thinking about getting into the commercial real estate industry, this is the place to start.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, great office environment, possibility for promotion, food and beverages always free and available.

Cons

Very high turnover, unique dynamics for benchmarks and goals, management styles can vary significantly.

Great place to start a career in real estate - You make this experience what you want

Former Employee - Research Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at CoStar can be a positive experience and you can work hard to gain some great experience. This is a great job to start your career in the CRE industry.

Cons

Don't expect anyone to help you have a great experience. Learn what you can and keep moving. Promises are made that are never kept and it really comes down to deciding what you want to get out of working at costar, making that happen, and moving on.

2Cents

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give a great presentation and sales pitch that makes you want to work here.
    The building is awesome
    Great Christmas party.
    Very understanding about taking medical leaves.

Cons

very unmotivated coworkers
    very repetitive nature
    very low pay
    high stress
    contacts verbally abuse and talk down to us on the phone

I am so tired of everyone blaming the executive team for these company problems. The executive team sells the company well and they make amazing business decisions.

Mr. Florence, if you are tired of having such bad ratings and everyone blaming you for the atmosphere please change your DC VPs and Directors. The multifamily VP seems like the best as he shows interest, is funny, drives his people to work 100% of the time and actually promotes them.

The general consensus is the researchers work about 40% of their day and mangers work about 60% of their day. Could you imagine how much better our product would be if everyone actually worked.

The real reason the culture is so bad is because of the DIRECTORS, they are the ones making the actual changes that we as researchers have to live with. They are always leading these stupid groups that do not tell the truth but just spew out propaganda about how great the company is. They all run their markets completely different so when I move from one to another I am blindsided because nothing is constant. Nobody even really understands what it is that they do for 40 hours/week. THE DIRECTORS ARE IN THE BEST PLACE TO MAKE POSITIVE CHANGES BUT THEY OPT FOR THE EASY AND SAFE PROPAGANDA MESSAGES. THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE VPS SO NOTHING WILL EVER GET BETTER WITH CULTURE IN THIS GROUP.

The managers have no power at all so I did not even mention them.