CoStar Group

Updated Apr 6, 2014

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance

Andrew C. Florance

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent pay, great benefits, the pros end there.

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are in your 20s, the salary is pretty good at a base of 40k and the benefits are extensive. It is also a great resume builder, especially if you want a career in real estate and research.

ConsIn essence, your performance is often measured by those who have never performed your job and the metrics not only have little to do with providing valuable information to the clients you work for, but creates unintended consequences and moral hazard that leads to the opposite of your intended responsibilities. My former coworker (who quit after 1 year) said it best, at CoStar they expect you to look left and right at the same time. Beyond the work being repetitive, the management is deplorable. I've only known 1 person who has come to like the job during my year of employment and the vast majority are constantly seeking employment else where.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at numbers that mean nothing to the clients, listen to your researchers, and stop hiring managers who have never been researchers.

Great Place ONLY If You Like CRE

ProsGreat Location
Company Used To Have Verizon Center Box Seats
Good Intro in CRE
Stay Here One Year MAX

ConsI could really write a 20 page essay on why I hated my experience there. The "metrics" never truly show how hard someone works. I could be put on hold for 2 minutes while another call will actually have some data collection but only be 1:59. There is no room to grow within the company. A lot of the people you will be working with do not care on bit about commercial real estate. It is only a day job to them. In fact, managers who will be managing you do not care about commercial real estate. Every Monday, people who I did not know would just say "ughh so mad its Monday again". People did not want to be at work! Everyone I did work with was ALWAYS looking for another opportunity. People who went to work for Sales, Research, Recruiting, Accounting etc all hated their work.
Loopnet is A LOT better in that the information is "cleaner" and updated. CoStar information in reality is not worth what the clients pay for. I know this because I personally use both CoStar and Loopnet for outside of work purposes. (Be sure to use the company just as much as they use you)
Don't depend on HR to help you if you have troubles either. I've seen it all when it comes to mistreatment by mangers based on someone's sex or race. Reports were made to HR but no action was made towards the manager.
To progress through this company is really a luck of the draw. Hope that you get a manager that is somewhat nice. If you do, you still have to get suck up to your manager or get them to like you enough for them to even consider recommending you for another job within the company.
For what researchers go through 40k is just not enough. To get paid (actually less after taxes) as much as what my college cost per year doesn't cut it. The job doesn't require a college degree but since they make it a requirement, CoStar needs to pay out more than the debt I acquired per year to even be educated for their "high level" job plus the cost of living in DC. For the stress anyone is put under, its just not worth 40k. My two cents? Know your worth and don't waste your life away at a desk, making calls, for change that will barely pay for you to live in the DC area for another month. Don't do a mundane job so Andy Florance can only live his dream out by building a CRE information powerhouse. If you do take this job, make sure you get as much out of them as they get out of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice? Don't look down on researchers as people. The CEO and CFO have often walked around the office and looked at us as we were sweat shop employees. A fellow in upper management has actually told coworkers to "find another conference room because the CFO needs this more than you do" even though we had the room reserved. There are other ways of going about it. Treat employees with some type of respect.

The main purpose for senior management is to make money for their shareholders. I get that. 100%. The stock has been running for months now and the company is only expanding. The solution to your research department problem though all begins in who you are hiring. Why hire people who do not care about CRE? Any response would be "Well people who work at McDonalds don't actually care about the culinary industry". This is true and at the end of the day McDonalds just wants to make money just like CoStar. If money is the only thing you care about (which I know shareholders care about to) then you will continue to have a disgruntled workforce just like McDs.

Get experience and leave

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

ProsGood start for someone coming out of college. Stay for one year max and leave. You'll probably get fired anyway since the place is a revolving door. Most researchers are fresh out of college so you get cheap healthcare.

ConsRun like a dictatorship. Expect to come to work during hurricanes, when metro is closed, and your state declares a state of emergency.

Worst Job Ever, stay away

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-free snacks, and free juice
-their analytic platform is genius
- the system is very user friendly

Cons-pay is low
-office environment is high pressure
-glass ceiling, no promotions
-evaluation system is terrible
-micromanagement is their culture
-tasks are repetitive
-after one month you will lose your mind

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I Hate My Job

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros- Free snacks, and coffee
- Free perks such as bike rental
- Co-Workers are awesome
- PR team
- I am leaving soon, no point in staying somewhere where you are not treated and valued like a human being.

Cons- No room for growth
- Sweat shop worthy
- It's a dictatorship environment( micromanaged)
- If you don't perform, you get fired. The metric system is so messed up, you're already screwed before you even start
- Management doesn't have a clue about anything except for wanting you to work
- It's a telemarketing job with leads that renew every month, and your job is to punch in data
- The training program/orientation program is the worst, it doesn't really test your knowledge
  I've seen really smart people fall through the cracks on this one because of how horrible training is.
  (HIRE REAL CONTRACTED TRAINERS, NOT FORMER STAFF MEMBERS)
- Rain, Hail, Snow, Armageddon (We are still open)
- The interview process is non sense. You literally go through about 5 rounds for a telemarketing position
- HR is always losing stuff, paperwork, your phone number, transcripts etc...had to resend mine a couple of times because someone wasn't doing their job.
- The same old snack can get tiresome after a while..switch if up. Maybe a little cereal, and other types of breakfast food like pop tarts, or pastries wouldn't hurt. (YOU HAVE THE $$ FOR IT)
- Rarely get paid your bonus one time.
- Greed is very bad, management needs to start looking at how they can compensate the little guys instead of using them to get their bonus. It's a screwed up system overall.

Advice to Senior Management- Do your homework
- Treat your researchers with some respect
- Be honest about the career path for your employees
- Don't sell me a dream, sell me a career
- Read these reviews, make some changes. The culture is terrible, it's run like a sweat shop. Pay your researches when they reach their quota.
- I guarantee if you focus a little bit more on the employees, you will be one of the best places to work in America because it's a very innovative company.

Research Associate

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

ProsCoStar Group is a good job for recent grads who are interested in commercial real estate. I started out there, and then was able to get a better paying job as a research analyst at another commercial real estate company. They have great health care and other benefits. They also give out quarterly bonuses, which can really add up.

ConsIt is an intense job, with some recent hires being fired during phone training. However, CoStar rarely fires researchers after they get a couple months under their belt

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough a lot is said about providing opportunities for researchers to grow, you need to make sure that those opportunities are readily available for well performing researchers. You should have a lot more training classes for researchers to be promoted to research associate II.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Learn Lots, Put up with Lots

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will learn much about commercial real estate

Consyou will learn that life isn't fair, and they will make sure that it isn't fair. They spend more on recruiting than retaining their staff. the metrics (the way they gauge how productive you are through the use of completely arbitrary numbers) will rule your life.

consider managers as political commissars, they supervise to ensure you hit your numbers and follow the rules set by a very disconnected upper-management core.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your staff, don't lie about paying out generous bonus/pay. abolish the metrics.

Almost a waste of my time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CoStar Group full-time

ProsI was compensated well enough to stay for a bit.

ConsCEO is a narcissistic maniac with God and Napoleon complex combined.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, quit focusing so much on which Ivy League school a person may have attended - there are HORDES of idiots that graduated from Ivy League schools....(previous presidents to go unnamed) Try hiring folks that have actual work experience in the real world outside of the Costar call center.

Mind-Numbing

I worked at CoStar Group for less than a year

ProsFree food
100$ a month for metro/bus

ConsFrom day one, what I was told I would being doing, never came to fruiton.

There is no analysis or thinking involved. You simply input data all day long.

Half of the people around you do not work hard. There are no set initiatives- when there is one, it lasts one week at most.

The managers do not understand the database because they are hired from the outside.

There is no opportunity to quickly move up! A promotion according to CoStar is a change in portfolios in a different US region. The job functions DO NOT CHANGE.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the researchers in half, pay them double, and hire intellectual hardworkers.

This is why I left

Research Associate

Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for less than a year

ProsLearn the ins and outs of commercial real estate very fast

ConsYou are a glorified telemarketer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep slowly moving away from a metric way of valuing employees

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!

CoStar Group Videos

CoStar Group – Why Work for Us?

We’re CoStar Group. For 25 years we’ve made it a priority to help our employees achieve their best. From accounting and research, to marketing and product development, we know our success is reflected in in the success… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CoStar Group reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CoStar Group CEO Andrew C. Florance. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by CoStar Group employees.