CoStar Group Reviews

• Washington, DC
2.5
CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

If you work hard - sky is the limit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with CoStar for 10 years. I do not understand these bad reviews. Sure, we work hard and it can be stressful, but our culture is unmatched and I am proud to be here. CoStar is NOT for everyone. If you expect to take two hour lunch breaks, or leave early every day, then please do not apply. I think recent graduates come into the real world right out of college and expect a corner office, flexible hours and perks. Kids - you gotta work for it. If you do not have work ethics, you will not last here. So please do not bash the company - get a reality check before you start applying for jobs.

We are very team oriented. If you are not a team player, CoStar is not a place for you. I have made friends for life and we are so proud of our culture. Just because you expected a corner office and got a cubicle instead - don't hate. You get a free breakfast AND lunch every day. Unlimited beverages. Unlimited fruit. Six different types of coffee. Think about it before you start writing bad reviews just because you had unrealistic expectations going into the real life after college. You have to WORK for that office.

Cons

There is none. Did I mention that we have free shuttle ride to and from the Metro? State of the art gym in the building. We also have a rooftop terrace and a garden. FREE yoga classes three times a week. And when the weather is nice, our yoga instructor takes us up to the rooftop terrace and we get all zen up there, in the fresh air and surrounded by flowers. No better way to end your day. Did your old job offer all this? I doubt it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I am proud to be here.

Apr 16, 2015

It’s great to hear you not only enjoy working here, but take advantage of the day-to-day benefits we offer to our employees. It’s true that we’re doing our best when our employees are working hard as ... More

Its been awesome! Great company

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment and training

Cons

None really. Great experience so far

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work !

Apr 1, 2015

We love to hear that you’re enjoying CoStar Group! We’re always working to provide our employees with more opportunities while they work here, so keep an eye out for new training opportunities to ... More

Okay place to start, but get out quickly

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't give too harsh a review of CoStar, because it was my first job out of college. They give professionals with little to no experience a chance. The environment is very structured, which keeps most employees focused and sharp. There were frequent training classes or seminars for tips on how to improve interview skills to maintain update frequency on client portfolios. There was certainly a competitive aspect as well, listing group winners on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis. The recognition, organization, and incentives here were definite pros.
    Also, there is a clear path of upward mobility from Research Associate, Analyst, Manager, etc. I found my Manager very accessible and also spoke with senior management a few times because I happened to be a top performer. The regular Town Halls from Andy (CEO) were also beneficial to understand the direction the company was going and how our goals should change.
    Simple perks like decent break area, fruit/snacks, and building amenities are pretty common in HQ offices as well. The company parties are hosted at impressive venues (museums oftentimes).

Cons

The actual employee program is one that I hope to never experience again. It felt sort of like a factory, cranking orientation groups through weeks of painfully boring training classes prior to their introduction to the actual day-to-day responsibilities. It was almost so regimented that there was zero room for creativity, suggestions, or personal growth.
    The career path is very limited to Sales or advancing your "Research" skills, which by the way, are not real research anyway but just google maps and archaic public record databases.
    The environment was also big brother-esque. Every phone call is recorded and employees are often singled out for etiquette, effectiveness, and random review. This keeps employees on their toes, but degrades the morale and overall culture of the group. I do understand the need for metrics as it relates to QA and performance reviews, but the metrics here were so stringent that again, it degraded your attitude and opinion of the company. For example, you have to log a number of phone calls (cold calls and to maintain existing portfolio) per day. These phone calls must be a certain length and quality and vary in purpose... sales deals, rentals, new business, vacant lot inquiries, etc. It can be very tedious trying to extract details on a closed deal from your clients. And you are penalized if they refuse to give you the information, no matter how persuasive you are. That to me, is an immovable KPI that is not entirely within the employee's control.
    The pay wasn't too great, in my opinion, although the regular review do allow opportunity for bonuses and increases to base salary.
    All in all, although CoStar gives people a chance, they do not invest in their employees. Point blank, the job as a Research Associate is painfully boring.

Advice to Management

Ease up or diversify the KPIs. Cultivate a true researcher and web-based content ownership culture, instead of just counting the numbers. Make it more interesting to the employees for the purpose of client retention (turnover is horrendous).
    Don't force your employees to annoy their clients to the point of no return phone calls. You're doing more harm than good to your cause for free information.

Apr 1, 2015

You said yourself that CoStar Group provides a structured environment for entry-level employees and provides them with the information and skills needed to do the job. The brief, two-week period of ... More

Don't believe these recent positive reviews

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office location is great, and CoStar provides snacks and decent benefits.

Cons

The reviews stating that Costar is not for everyone are BS. People's complaints aren't about the workload or the hours, it's the AWFUL culture, low pay and demoralizing responsibilities. In fact, one of the few positives of this job is the work life balance. However, this is not to be kind to employees, it's because this job is basically telemarketing. It involves hours of cold calling real estate brokers who are annoyed by you. You're required to dial, dial, dial. You are punished for thinking outside the box, and judged on metrics that change frequently and are often in direct contrast to doing a good job. I repeat - DO NOT BELIEVE THE RECENT POSITIVE REVIEWS. This is not a bad job because it's too hard or demanding. Plenty of intelligent hard working people hate it here, myself included. The issues are the lack of pay, upward mobility, respect and happiness. DONT TAKE THE JOB

Advice to Management

Eventually you will run out of young suckers if you don't change your ways

Apr 24, 2015

The Research department you describe makes it sound like you haven’t been here in a while. As a company that’s been growing very quickly, the daily responsibilities and opportunities for growth have ... More

Learn and Grow

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

-Rewarded for hardwork
    -Absorb tons of knowledge
    -Ability to move into new roles

Cons

-Daily changes can be hard to adjust too
    -Can be tedious and repetitive

Advice to Management

-More open communication about expectations

Apr 1, 2015

We appreciate the feedback, and it’s good to hear you absorbed a lot of information. It’s true that the Research Associate role at CoStar Group is the perfect place for individuals interested in ... More

Does not care about its employees

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

As you've already seen, the company does offer free food, and you do not have work to take home at the end of the day if you're an hourly employee. That's not what I'm here to discuss.

Cons

The company does not care about its employees. Most of the other reviews discuss the absurd metrics, the lack of communication between upper management and researchers, the ever-shifting goals, and the company's bad reputation. But they don't touch on how much the company disregards its employees as actual people on a consistent basis.

1) CoStar does not care about employee safety. This is especially true when it comes to major weather events. Sure, most companies in Washington, DC have a tendency to shut down or delay operations during small amounts of snow, which can seem a bit outlandish. But CoStar always remains open, even during major snow storms that shut down commuter rail service in MD and VA, cause WMATA (metro) to stop running buses or trains, result in surge pricing for cabs, and ultimately create horrendous road conditions in the DC-MD-VA metropolitan area. Should employees be unable to come to work, they are expected to dip into the benefits they earn (vacation time and personal time) to stay home or risk their personal safety to get to the office. The most blatant example of how much the company disregards personal safety occurred during Hurricane Sandy in 2012, when the office remained open during the storm. The CEO sent an email to the entire staff following the hurricane, mocking people who stayed home and praising those who "braved 5mph winds" to come into the office. Hurricane Sandy resulted in 11 fatalities in the DC area, caused WMATA to cease operations for 1.5 days, resulted in numerous road closures and flooding incidents, and had peak wind gusts of 65 miles per hour in DC, yet employees were still expected to come in to the office -- and if they didn't, they were mocked and ridiculed for essentially not putting the 'greater good' of the company ahead of their personal safety.

2) CoStar does not trust its employees -- especially when it comes to being sick. There was an employee who took time off due to depression. That employee's manager repeatedly called the employee and requested proof that the employee was actually sick. The manager routinely mocked the employee for "being sad" behind that employee's back at team happy hours, private one-on-ones with other team members, and who knows whenever else. Furthermore, employees who take sick time off are constantly questioned and harassed by management, as if they are abusing the system and taking time off just for fun. Maybe that has happened, but can you imagine being sick for two or three days, and then have to deal with a barrage of texts and phone calls from your employer trying to siphon proof from you that you are "actually ill?" Constantly reminding you to get a doctor's note (which most employees are intelligent enough to receive)?

3) CoStar does not value its employees privacy. You are constantly being monitored on camera and warned by management not to step out of line or else it will be caught on film. But even more outlandish is this incident from 2014: The company sent out an anonymous survey asking its employees a bunch of questions on how to improve the company. The survey included questions like, "do you think your opinion counts" or "do you think the company cares about you?" Surprise, surprise -- an overwhelming majority of people answered "no" to both questions. And to address those concerns, management made all of the research staff gather in groups to discuss -- openly -- what can be done to fix those issues. In other words, they made people give their anonymous opinions directly to the management staff -- not to resolve the issues at hand, but to see who submitted those opinions so they could make life difficult for those staff members and eventually force them off of their respective teams.

4) CoStar only cares about what it CEO wants. Andy Florence is treated as an idol, the Sun King who can do no wrong. Any time Andy gives a directive, the entire company is expected to blindly follow him, even if it is a bad idea. Research was forced into dropping their regular portfolio duties and working on ridiculous, time consuming, and degrading projects after CoStar acquired LoopNet and Apartments.com -- which alienated our clients who had pressing needs that were not being addressed. Also, Andy doesn't like it when people listen to music while doing data entry or overtime projects, so if you value being human and having some sort of stimulation while doing tedious, spreadsheet-based projects (which are 90% of the data projects at CoStar), then you're going to have a hard time.

5) CoStar ignores what its present and past employees have said. The recruiting staff is forced to come to Glassdoor and write positive reviews for CoStar Group because the ratings were so low two years ago. It was a major issue that recruits brought up in interviews, so instead of fixing the problems that created 1 and 2-star reviews, the company just wrote a bunch of fake reviews to mislead prospective applicants into thinking the place has gotten better. It hasn't.

Advice to Management

You need to completely overhaul your HR policies and how you manage staff. You might want to spend some of that LoopNet and Apartments.com money on hiring an outside consultant firm to come in and tell you exactly what you're doing wrong, since you don't listen to your current or former employees.

Apr 1, 2015

CoStar Group cares deeply about its employees, and cares about their wellbeing. That is why we offer market-leading benefits to our employees as well as the best work environments, free and healthy ... More

Don't work here if you're looking for a challenge

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work under the right manager, you'll be recognized for your hard work. You'll get a basic understanding of commercial real estate if you stay long enough. Benefits are comparable to government which are well known for being great. It's not a job you bring home with you or are stressed about outside of the office.

Cons

Despite what I mentioned about being recognized for hard work under the right manager, you won't necessarily be compensated based on that hard work. There is a quarterly bonus, but there is no transparency with respect to how that bonus is allocated amongst your team members.

The job is essentially day in and day out. Making calls to brokers, who for the most part, have no interest in speaking with you. The most rewarding part of the job will probably be sales comparable research, which demands, and I say this lightly, some actual research and digging. I've been thoroughly disappointed with my attempts to ask for more challenging work and projects from management with very little follow through.

I often question how management makes the decisions they do. The massive advertising campaign following our acquisition of apartments.com was referred to multiple times as 'very expensive' and the company just bought a plane for aerial field research. Why is none of the company's wealth going towards better compensating its employees? Free salads, snacks, and coffee do not make CoStar an enjoyable place to work.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees better for their hard work. Acknowledge that this compensation doesn't necessarily have to be monetary. Contests (i.e. the apartments.com raffle) that reward employees by chance do not accomplish this.

Apr 1, 2015

Our researchers are paid fairly for their role that requires no work being brought home and weekends free. All researchers, with the exception of those on a corrective action plan, receive quarterly ... More

Research Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fringe benefits (especially transit subsidy)
    - Young people in the office

Cons

- If you have a college degree, and any other office experience, you are too qualified for the Research Associate position
    - This is the "safety school" of entry level jobs; no one's first choice was CoStar
    - There is no critical thinking involved in the job
    - You enter data and never work towards anything
    - Every single day is exactly the same
    - Can be disheartening calling people all day long who really don't want to talk to you
    - Micromanaged from a company perspective, but not individual manager; i.e. punching in/out, mandatory 30 min break in day, recording your calls
    - Don't kid yourself, you're working in a call center

Advice to Management

Management does alright. It's a cool product, and someone has to do it. The job is what it is, and HR definitely didn't try and trick me in the hiring process.

Mar 27, 2015

Based on your advice to management, it seems that you took a position you knew would not be a good fit for you in the first place. I’m sorry that you feel you haven’t been able to develop in your ... More

CoStar has the worst practices ever

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entry-level experience.. if you're okay with hating your job then it's fine.

Cons

You'll never ever get to come up with an original idea and contribute it. You have no sense of autonomy at all. There's no creativity, decision-making, or control over your career or your DAY. You are simply told exactly what to do, and are expected to do it (the same exact thing, everyday, for 8 hours...). Your own ideas or opinions are not welcome or encouraged. This is a very monotonous job, with no room for growth or promotion. Even the managers I feel bad for. They are taught a terrible management style. Management is so petty, controlling, gossip-driven, and they really mimic bullying in some ways. Once they decide they don't like you, they will make your life hell in every way possible. Also, the surveillance of employees is disturbing. Overall, I look back at my time at CoStar and thank the stars above I'm not there anymore. I absolutely LOVE my job now and see an incredible difference between a company run correctly and CoStar's train wreck. I can't express to you enough..... DON'T WORK THERE. It's degrading.

Advice to Management

Hire a management consulting company, anyone above the age of 2 could tell you how to better run the company.

Apr 1, 2015

As an entry level role, researchers start out by building up skills and knowledge to be able to do the job. As more experience is gained, researchers are able to take on new responsibilities, which ... More

Reasonable, but you're a robot at the end of the day

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free gym membership, lots of great snacks and drinks, a comfortable work environment (as comfortable as cube life can be) and your peers are generally young and always up for happy hour. The work culture is fast paced and the days go by quite fast when you're busy with special projects. When you start, you'll have a terrible portfolio until you work your way up to more clients; then it is more rewarding and you will actually have work to do.

Cons

You're a robot. You sit at your desk and input data and work from spreadsheet hell. If your'e the creative type, your brain will slowly rot working here. It is very fast paced, but special projects kill your numbers and then they expect you to be fabulous regardless of that. Numbers number numbers. The pay is not great. If you live in DC, good luck on their HOURLY rate. Also be prepared for big brother watching your every move. They'll track you if you leave for a 10 minute cig break. It's super corporate and HR expects everyone to be perfect little angels. Too bad that's incredibly wishful thinking.

Advice to Management

Management is all over the board. Some are really fine entrepreneurs while others could care less. To those who care a bit TOO much, stop worrying about a punch out that was 2 minutes over 8 hours and worry about more important things.

Feb 4, 2015

The nature of research, particularly in the commercial real estate industry, is based in analysis and information, and yes, spreadsheets are involved. We know that type of work does not suit everyone ... More