CoStar Group

CoStar Group Reviews in White Marsh, MD

2.5

CoStar Group President, CEO, and Director Andrew C. Florance
Andrew C. Florance

Pros
  • decent benefits, decent location, so-so entry level exposure to commercial real estate (in 25 reviews)

• Company provides good benefits, a good way to break into the commercial real estate marketplace (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The main problem really is that upper management are like headless chickens (in 33 reviews)

• High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Only as an extreme last resort. You'll hate everyday

Former Employee - Research Analyst in White Marsh, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, Decent benefits, it's a job

Cons

Read all the reviews. Heavy review of every action you take. Calling brokers and asking for every detail of every deal they make. If they don't answer keep calling and calling until something happens. You have to pretend you only work 40 hours per week, but in reality you're working 50+ and getting paid for 40.

If you want to wake up everyday thinking your life sucks, this is the job for you.

Quit

Very Disappointed and Unappreciated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Marsh, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Marsh, MD

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

Salary is decent. They provide expense paid market visits. Decent benefits plan. New facility in DC has top technology and perks.

Cons

Cannot expect career growth unless you plan to move to DC. No job security. Salary increases/merit increases frozen almost two years. Cut our company match on 401k down to 50%. Management for the most part is incompetent and lacks people skills. Employees are not treated with respect. The metrics do not capture ones abilities or worth in the company but are the only things looked at to measure an employee's importance.

Value those that work hard. Dont expect miracles with the metrics. The goals that are set forth are always unattainable. People lack motivation due to feeling disrespected and unappreciated.

Work here only to avoid unemployment

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

The only reason to work at CoStar is the pay and the benefits. Compared to other employers they are, on average, higher.

Cons

Plan on selling your soul. I was asked to many things that would be deemed unethical by two layers of management. Senior management will change pay scale and bonus scheldule on a whim. At an office I worked at yearly turnover was over 75%. A few people quite every week, including managers.

Get some training on how to treat people. Respect is key in keeping employees motivated. Also, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. Finally, treat you customers better.

Not bad for a TEMPORARY job

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

The pay and benefits were decent - and most of the people are great. Plus the job turns everyone into an alcoholic so I now have many great drinking and bar buddies. The location was great for me and I even liked my managers at White Marsh. While people quitting all the time and the firings are scary, the "CoStar Drama" is top notch. Who doesn't like a little bit of work gossip?

Cons

Company Moral. Job Security. People being fired seemingly with no reason. The metrics! 40 phone calls a day to people who do NOT want to talk to us... no thanks.

Get your head out of your butt

I ESCAPED COSTAR AND SO SHOULD YOU!!!

I worked at CoStar Group

Pros

Pay is fair, location was good. However my advise to you is RUN as fast as you can. You will find that the minute you walk in the door there is no such thing as job security or even job discription. No matter how bad you need a job right now, you are better off working at McDonalds fipping burgers. Trust me!!!!

Cons

Change, change and oh did I say change. They change their minds, rules and metrics faster and more often than I change my underware. Be prepared to get dizzy and never measure up. BTW dont bring anything personal from home to put on your desk, most people get discharged without warning and your stuff gets left on your desk. Management will tell you that your friends got fired for performance, but you can see the public metrics for yourself, and your friend was doing better than center standards. No rhyme or reason for the disposable empolyee mentality. STRESS STRESS and more STRESS to meet goals and oh btw, even if you are doing better than your manager asked you to, if someone else does better than you, you end up on the bottom of the metrics and therefore you dont get a bonus and can get fired. Where else can you meet and even exceed the company goals and still get fired because others did better?

Go back to school. You need some serious training in managment. For real, a good idea to create a company does not a good CEO make. Get some training.