www.coach.com

Updated December 22, 2014
3.6

Coach CEO Victor Luis
Victor Luis

Pros
  • Great discount, worked with great people, great bonuses at the end of the year (in 36 reviews)

• Depending on volume size, great work life balance & 60-75% off deletes (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work / life balance and now the new leadership does not talk about that any more (in 30 reviews)

• Dress code is a bit strict, but hey its a boutique so you need to look nice (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Management

I have been working at Coach

Pros

No- if you not a shoe polishing person

Cons

Promotion without assessment, top management is rude and impolite especially hr, hr is not helpful, changes without planning, restructure 4 times within 1 year, turnover rate.is horrible.

Please take a look to your top team in asia.

Poor experience at Coach Asia market back office role

Current Employee - Anonymous in Asia (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Asia (Philippines)

I have been working at Coach full-time

Pros

Fast track movements if you are type of person who wants to take advantage
    Nice benefit on summer time early off

Cons

Serious title inflation. Frequent changes due to lack of planning and incapable leaders. Rewards and promotion are not run by performance culture.

Review and evaluate the whole management team and department/functional leaders to make sure you have capable and knowledgable members to drive the business and manage the rest in the Company.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Coach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount. Rack up paid vacations pretty quick. Great insurance. Sadly that's it.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. No manager there is happy because all of us were not trained from the get go. Upper management expects us to communicate well when we don't even know what we are talking about. They don't have time to train us so we were told to train ourselves. The company micro manages and wants its managers to micro manage. I am not a micro manager and I don't like hounding my staff every 15 minutes about their sales and asking "have you talked to that customer? Why hasn't your SPH gone up?" We weren't making our ridiculously high numbers in our FIRST year, so they lowered our goal. Now that we are making the numbers, you want to lower it again and take more hours? Because we aren't making last year numbers? Again, WE'VE BEEN OPEN A YEAR. At one point we had no GM, SM or DM. All at the same time. I can't tell you how many managers have been cycled through. People are quitting every week because rules change every week. Honestly, Coach really disappointed me.

TRAIN YOUR STAFF. Set some time aside to train a new store. Even customers can see it's easy to get overwhelmed there.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Athletic Coach in Concordia, KS
    Former Employee - Athletic Coach in Concordia, KS

I worked at Coach as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The students were hard working.

Cons

The Athletic administration were oblivious, or didn't care, to the goings on with head coaches who basically had run amok. Coaches egos were sky high because of the years they've worked there, not their success. It was the first thing they all said to you when you arrived and were introduced. "Hello my name is Foghorn Leghorn and I've been here 39 years!" Who cares! It's the quality of those years that matter, not the amount of them. Very incestuous feeling, meaning staff was excessively close and resistant to any outside influence no matter how positive it would be for the college and student athletes. If they didn't come up with a good idea to improve the department and you did, then you didn't exist. If you upset the apple cart, then they wanted you out. Terrible experience overall.

Wake up.

A Journey Towards Elevation

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wellington, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wellington, FL

I have been working at Coach part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Discount
    Great People
    Great Culture

The company works to make their sales associates the best in the business

Cons

Company is currently struggling but working their way towards a revolution. It's hard right now, but I have a great feeling about how this will turn out.

Upper management should think more about developing their staff and promoting from with in.

Exploitive

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Coach

Pros

Most people would say the discount.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to purchase everything Coach. Within the first two weeks I was lectured about not having coach jewelry or shoes. I also got talked to about not meeting the dress code, however, that seems to be made up on the spot. It is not enfourced equally either. I was told to have natural hair color and no visible piercings or tattoos yet there were 3 other staff violating it.

Bottom line: you won't make money because you have to continually buy clothes for the dress code and buying everything coach. Plus there will be no set hours and a lot of on call shifts.

Pay more. Be fair and avoid favoritism

Bad Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Coach

Pros

Doing well technologically and an ok discount.

Cons

Corrupt, evil and racist management. You don't get recognized for the hard work you do. The managers are weird and seem like they want "something" from you in order for them to be nice to you. When they tell you to do something sometimes they shout and act extremely unprofessional.

Take management skill classes and do more to help out those below you. And stop being racist and be more brave.

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Coach

Pros

Nice people overall. Training is there if you request for it. Great perks.

Cons

The micro manageing runs rampant. Upper management either has no clue or doesn't care. If your not ecepted... You will be gone! HR is s joke, if you have an issue DO NOT let them know. You will be gone. FYI management will build a case and even lie. Not a great place to work .

Stop your power trip attitudes .

Terrible, people were treating it as if it were high school and majority of the girls doing so were older then I was.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Coach part-time (less than an year)

Pros

40 percent discount was truly all that was beneficial.

Cons

The people were rude and stuck up it was a dead end job.

If you want you business to strive hire professional people not children.

Set up for failure, Hours cut, Do not work here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX

I worked at Coach part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Product knowledge training is great, and helpful
    -Great discount

Cons

-Management is terrible ( sends out associates on clock to starbucks.... expect to be sent if your new to the team to get drinks for all the managers)
    - Sales goals are set very high
    - Catty and pretentious atmosphere
    - Unprofessional attitude toward competitor brands ( Michael Kors)
    - Expectation to purchase from the brand off the back
    - Low pay, bonuses are achievable if the management likes you
    - If the main management decides they do not approve of you , they will cut your hours until you quit
    - No clothing allotment for uniform

After have worked with many of the brand's competitor stores, I believe the culture and training of the management style needs to be addressed. The store I worked at never had traffic, and seldom were new employees welcomed. Employees are developed in a way in which they do not work as a team, and the environment is uncomfortable for both employees and customers.

I believe this store would have more customers walking in if the employees looked happy at work and were moving around in the store doing something useful instead of sipping on Starbucks leaning on the register.

Employees were miserable, management was catty, new employees were judged, and picked a part on everything from their sales style to their clothing choices.

I would not recommend anyone apply for work here until work culture is addressed.

Coach Photos