Coalfire Systems

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.9

Rick Dakin

If you are willing to learn and have a pulse ...

Current Employee - IT Security Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Security Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Coalfire Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of very talented, smart, and driven people. You're challenged to expand your skill set and keep moving forward.

Cons

Not for everyone. If you cannot balance your work load you will burn out quicker than others ... which is fairly common.

Charge more for projects with a longer time frame for completion. Going from client site to client site, while still expecting quality reports is a recipe for disaster.

This place is not good even trying to get your foot in the door

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Coalfire Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed learning about IT security but it came with a big price. I have been able to take the experience and find a great job at a different location!

Cons

You will be working most evening and weekends! There is no live balance! People need to be spend times with their family or they get burnt out very quickly. Also management needs to make sure to hire manager with experience! I had the worst experience with a manger that I have ever had and I have been working for 20 years.

When someone goes to HR with an issue about a manager, please look into it. Brushing things under the rug does not help and now you have lost a number of good employees due to one bad manager. Also these same people have moved into other IT security establishment and talked about the lack of management.

Not a good place to work, very bad experience..

Former Employee - Security Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Security Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Coalfire Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free cookies, candies, etc. from Costco.

Cons

There is no team work at this company. All the employees are very unhappy and people are always talking each others back. Management is very authoritative and does not want to listen to others. Get used to the super micromanagement of your work. They will keep track of your time by minutes and you need to put them into your time-sheet. And you will be scrutinized if time-sheet does not meet their expectations. Management has no formal management training or education and they are extremely negative toward the lower level employees. They tend to hire more fresh college grads or people who do not have any good experience in the role they were hired for. They lure all the employees with promotions, and as noted below by other reviewers, you will get stuck after one step up if you ever get that. They recently hired some quality employees, but they simply left after couple of months. Lot of favoritism and if you complain, they will retaliate. Turnover rate is over 50%. Salary and benefits are horrible compare to other organizations. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from this company, unless you want to suffer!

Fix the issues.

Great colleagues, great work, very good overall, but not perfect

I have been working at Coalfire Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many things Coalfire does well and some it struggles with. The culture is best characterized as 1) hard working, 2) lots of learning, 3) rapid career advancement, 4) competitive compensation & benefits, and 5) great people to work with. The company and its management are highly ethical, but it isn’t perfect and it struggles with training and communication challenges.

The company never had a formal training program and this has led to some real dissatisfaction. Hiring aspiring talent and not training them properly is not a recipe for success, especially in a growing company. There were other growing pains and there still are. The good news is management seems conscious of the shortfalls and appears to be working to improve them.

All-in-all, a good company to work at, not a perfect company, but seemingly trying hard to improve and keep employees happy, engaged and advancing in their careers. It’s hard to ask much more from an employer than that. I plan to stay here for another few years and continue developing my skills and career growth in this exciting and rapidly growing company and industry.

Cons

The biggest challenge has been the company’s traditional reliance on informal, on-the-job training. There are lots of smart people here and the assumption has been we learn from one another. As is evident in these reviews, it wasn’t working great. Formal training was only recently established to augment OJT, ranging from developing an increasingly robust on-line video learning library with associated learning curriculum (still clearly a work in progress) to formal externally-led live sessions. More is needed, but it’s nice to see a start to addressing the need.

Company communications have also been an issue. Relying on the company newsletter to share company happenings has not been sufficient. The CEO hosts a quarterly all-employee company status presentation. The subjects used to be high-level and inspirational, which were great the first time you heard them but got old quickly. He seems to be listening to feedback. The info shared has become very detailed and direct, surprisingly so for a company this size. On the last one he shared recognition of things that have not been working well (many captured in reviews here) and his plans to fix them. That was nice to see since it shows management cares about creating a strong environment for us to work in.

The epitome of bittersweet

I have been working at Coalfire Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. So much room to grow. Challenging. Entrepreneurial. Great people to work with.

Cons

Absolutely no communication between the "higher-ups" and the rest of the company. Unrealistic expectations. 70+ hour work week. No gratitude for hard work. Demeaning executives. Unwilling to change. What once was a thriving company where everyone was on the fast train to success and people enjoyed the daily grind of new work is now a breeding ground for anxiety, frustration, and exhaustion. Coalfire pushes its best people straight out the door. For every two people they hire, one leaves. I am not far behind the rest who have found a better work/life balance in a company who values its good people.

SLOW DOWN. Listen to your employees and DO something about what they're telling you. The mantra "It will get better" is getting old. Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. Among yourselves and with US! And be nicer. So much nicer. We're making a fraction of the pay you make and working just as many, if not more, hours a week. Your people are supposed to be your best asset - you should try treating the EXISTING ones that way.

Great Company, with great people and growing fast!

I have been working at Coalfire Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined the Coalfire team and so far I'm very impressed! It's obvious that Coalfire is a leader in the IT Audit and IT Security space, but they offer a lot more then that! The CEO and the rest of the Executive team really care about their employees, they encourage the continuous growth and development of the staff through training and certification, as well as the opportunity to work closely on projects with their customers. Coalfire offers competitive compensation and benefits. I'm glad I joined team, it's great time to be onboard!!!

Cons

So far things are great!

Great experience .. company on the move in an emerging security industry

Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Coalfire Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The cyber security industry is growing rapidly. Coalfire is well positioned to compete in this exciting sector.

Cons

This industry is not for everyone. The demands are so high that only the truly committed professionals who want to jumpstart their careers should consider joining Coalfire or entering the security assessment and risk advisory business.

The demands on all of us is so significant, we need constant access to training and advice. Our skills get outdated quickly.

I've worked for Coalfire for more than a year

I have been working at Coalfire Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of very talented, smart, and driven people. You're challenged to expand your skill set.

Cons

Echoing what others have said, absolutely no work life balance. It's a pressure cooker. Burnout is rampant.

What was once a great company to work for has steadily gone down hill...

Current Employee - Information Security Consultant
    Current Employee - Information Security Consultant

I have been working at Coalfire Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Advancement is fast from Associate to Consultant...nothing after that...

Good company outlook

Cons

Management consists of an average ratio of 2 directors to every employee and the only talent hired are inexperienced college grads who can't help with the burden of work.

Advancement is great since the turn over rate is high, however
    They will promise that you will have the chance to work all different types of projects, but you will get stuck on one type.

They will promise you whatever your interests are but it is all just lies to get you to stay, management never follows up.

You will be asked to work during your vacation! To try and make you feel better about it, management replies "Its the Coalfire Way!"

Coalfire needs to change it's mentality to help stop the mass exodus of employees from fleeing the sinking ship...Within one year we lost 4 seniors and a handfull of associates

Management needs to seriously look toward themselves and reflect on maybe...just maybe they are doing something wrong and that is why the staff is not happy.

I would have given 5 stars when I first started here...

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Coalfire Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I suppose when you are an Associate you learn really fast but that is about it at this point.
    The people I work (my immediate colleagues) are fun to talk to and they teach more than management

Cons

- Once you become a consultant it seems like there is no opportunity for more growth
    - You ask other directors for guidance on specific technical topics but receive no feedback
    - Training is lacking even if we request it
    - It seems hardwork is not recognized. Employees work 18 to 24 hours sometimes and this is not appreciated.
    - If you want to grow past a Consultant level, you can forget about it.
    - You are asked what career track you want to follow but that is it. There is nothing further to accelerate this project. There is absolutely no support in your growth.
    - Upper management listens to their staff from one ear and lets it out the other.
    - You are asked to work during your vacation

You really need to value input from your Delivery team. It seems like there is communication above us that is not open. Recognize and REWARD your hard working employees. Also, stop playing favourites towards certain employees. We want to learn and in order for you to make that happen give us some sort of technical training. You have already seen the good employees leave due to poor work conditions. This will not stop and you will see turnover.