Coast Dental Services Reviews

Thomas J. Marler

1. case consultant

Former Employee - Receptionist/Care Consultant in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Care Consultant in Modesto, CA

I worked at Coast Dental Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with coast dental give you opportunitis to grow and learn new things.

Cons

I did face chalenges in coast dental we usually do more than what we are spected but tyat isw the only way we cou8ld work because to work as a team somethimes you have to do more and help you co workers, for example I had to go to the back and help with some things like clean rooms, probe , or do billing

Advice to Management

its good that I had managers that belived in me and that they know they cant count on me when they need help,

2. $$$

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Ocala, FL

I worked at Coast Dental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was very close to home and I had a very good hyg and dr to work with but the company sucked.

Cons

This company is alllllllllll about the numbers. They push you to make a certain amount per day and based everything around it. If you have issues with an employee, they do not care. You have to deal with the bad apple, unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Care more about the bad apples because that will make the rest of the employees hate working there, like I did.

3. Bad company

I worked at Coast Dental Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of experience with some very difficult to work with insurances, if you can deal with these companies anything else seems easy.

Cons

Like others say, very outdated equipment and lack of supplies. Patients notice the poor conditions of the office. Is a revolving door for staff as well. Every year I have worked for coast there are fewer and fewer meetings and group training sessions (in person), these are replaced with poor quality webinars and conference calls. Extreme micromanagement, managers get easily 20 emails a day regarding production.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your product, update offices. Pay for more training, bring in outside experts for training. Other corporate dental groups are pulling further away in technology, benefits, and reputation.

General Dentist

I have been working at Coast Dental Services

Pros

Some very good people working here

Cons

Outdated equipment and facilities. Way too much emphasis on Medicare insurance patients

Advice to Management

Invest in your company and advertise otherwise Aspen Dental will eat you alive

Going through positive changes

I have been working at Coast Dental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of large dental groups throughout the country, but if you take a deep look, you can truly see the differences among them. From a clinical perspective, there is proper clinical oversight to ensure dentists have true autonomy and work in an environment they can be successful, independent, and happy. There is a Chief Clinical Officer at the top that is a dentist, so unlike many other large groups, things aren't being driven by a non-dentist. Dentists can choose to learn and place implants and perform some ortho (ClearCorrect). Dentists stay with their patients throughout the treatment process (from diagnosing to performing the treatment). There are no contracts, which makes it flexible for dentists (this is a recent change). The average GP earns over $200k. Coast is working with outside vendors/partners for CE, ensuring that what is taught is not simply propaganda for Coast. Coast also recently rolled out a dentist ownership model, which I believe was necessary to compete in the long term: dentists need that choice. Dentists and clinicians are happy here, and with more positive changes on the horizon, I see things only getting better.

Cons

Coast acquires locations as well as builds new offices, but with acquisition of older offices comes just that; older offices! They are currently going through their network to update offices both aesthetically and digitally, but until an office gets a facelift, some of them are older and outdated. The positive is that within the next couple of years every office will be upgraded, and even the older offices still have strong staffs and most have great patient flow for dentists.

Advice to Management

Continue the path you're on. I understand dentistry is a business, but continue to build the foundation for the company that will have a lasting effect 5-10 years from now because of the things you're doing or want to do now.

7. Good opportunities for advancement

I have been working at Coast Dental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management listens to your ideas and does their best to implement those ideas. If you are a good employee at the corporate office, they will find ways to keep you in the organization and advance you up the ranks.

Cons

Lack of one consistent message throughout the operations team(s). Also a lack of consistent branding/brand awareness, not too many people are familiar with Coast Dental.

Advice to Management

Invest in the practices and continue to invest in the best employees to keep them around.

8. Amazing culture!

Current Employee - Operations in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Operations in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Coast Dental Services

Pros

Culture of excellence, kindness and integrity. Highest regard for doing things exceptionally well and, more importantly, keeping in mind the human being on the other end of each interaction. Employee retention speaks volumes about the operation of the organization.

Cons

None that I have found.

9. Chaotic, Poorly Managed and No Culture

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Clovis, CA
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Clovis, CA

I have been working at Coast Dental Services

Pros

This place is excellent if you do not have any other options for a job or are starting out.

Cons

Mediocre benefits, aggressive sales tactics, lack of proper management, lots of politics involved, no raises, no promotions. High turnover rate with Dentists, Assistants, Front Office, etc. If this company does change its culture, I am sure they wont survive much longer.

Advice to Management

It would be wise to remove ALL of upper management and replace with educated business minded customer centered people. Too much focus on numbers and not team building. Invest in your employees and show appreciation and it will be returned to you 10x.

10. I Love CDS

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Coast Dental Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is great opportunity for growth and you will learn a lot coming to work here. The expectations are very high, but if you are dedicated and passionate about dentistry you will find your "family" here. The company puts a lot of emphasis on clinical outcomes and has recently rolled out a massive development plan for managers; making this the best place to be if you are looking to grow.

Cons

We are growing. That means there are some growing pains here and there. It is more evident in some positions within the company than others. The new leadership team is strong and work hard to coach and support through the tough times. The company holds people accountable for clinicals, revenue, and overall performance. Be prepared to work hard and get rewarded when you're successful.

Advice to Management

Keep working through the tough days and don't lose your passion!

11. Personal Protective Equipment runs out of stock constantly due to low budget and poor management. Be ready to be the maid having to clean the office. If you have high standards providing dental care for people, this is not the place for you.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Coast Dental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, some people are great caring people to work with.

Cons

Dirty atmosphere. Equipment is old. Using the lowest quality of products in the market on patients due to budget limits. Poor training of current dental procedures. Training consists of how to make money for the company not expanding the knowledge of the staff. Not a healthy and safe environment. Lots of drama.

Advice to Management

Get with the times, you may hire young fresh out of school dentist but you offer in the facility the poorest quality of supplies and equipment to use.

RSS Feed </> Embed