Coast Guard Academy

CEO

Coast Guard officer

Current Employee - 0-3 in Morgan City, LA
    Current Employee - 0-3 in Morgan City, LA

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for Travel, pay, benefits

Cons

Too much micromanagement, lack of diversity and very small budget

Need to learn to put people first

Low quality education

Current Employee - Professor in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Professor in New London, CT

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The primary reason why the Academy continues as it does is the $. Both military and civilian are paid far too much for what they do. So the pro, if you are an employee, is the income. The benefits are not bad, of course, and people are generally respectful, to your face anyway.

Cons

As a civilian academic, the cons are considerable: working for a US military employer, it is the ranks of the US military that run the show, make all of the key decisions (despite lip service to the contrary). The culture is largely 'be at your workstation' and fill-out - seriously, for all employees including professors - time cards. Yes, time cards. Most importantly, the US Coast Guard Academy, unlike other US military academies, forces all cadets to take trainings that seriously impede their ability to pursue an education. The cadets are perpetually in survival mode, putting out fires, and not doing any serious study of any kind, on any topic.

The CG Academy is more than just a military institution; it is a hybrid, where both military and educational priorities should be openly discussed, respected, and supported. In 2012 a former Assistant SUPT informed the faculty that 'this is not an educational institution..' That would frankly come as a great surprise to those who come here to pursue, inter alia, an education and the many accrediting agencies and parents that expect that cadets receive an education. Moreover, to be on the map of national prominence, the CG Academy needs to fully support research. The only civilian faculty who stay-on are not helping in that regard; they 'understand' that research is 'not possible' and just keep collecting their hefty paychecks. The Academy is well overdue for many changes. The Big Secret: Close the CG Academy, offer only OCS (via Navy), and save hundreds of $millions every year.

Not heading in a good direction

I worked at Coast Guard Academy

Pros

CGA offers a wonderful opportunity to develop and nurture leaders for the service (and their careers afterwards). The cadets appreciate your efforts, and it is awesome to see what they accomplish within a few short years. Many of the staff are extremely dedicated and excellent colleagues and mentors. When you luck out, there are wonderful people in charge who make showing up to work an absolute joy.

Cons

Senior leadership is not good at the moment. As a result there is a cloud of fear over the campus and morale is very low amongst staff and cadets. However, change in leadership is imminent, and this place can improve quickly if they get rid of a handful of folks. In good times, the main struggle is getting resources (budgets are small) and getting new initiatives off the ground. Much of the leadership is CGA grads, many have only been to graduate school to the Master's level (this is especially true in the senior management ranks). There is big opposition to making changes to the program, even if they echo best practices at top institutions because "that's the way it was back when I went to CGA." Research opportunities/facilities pretty non-existent for faculty even at the best of times.

For some folks, retire and quit doing any more damage. For other folks, make sure you are continuously benchmarking the best schools. Remember that your staff is a pool of folks who have exposure to many different organizations. Give them a chance to keep improving the end product. Work on diversity in the right way - go out to see America and make sure you stop at the unlikely places - don't just send cadets back to their own high school and call it job done on recruiting.

The biggest thing is - unless this is a fantastic tour in the Coast Guard for the military and a good place to build a career for a civilian, the end product will decline. It should be the greatest opportunity one is handed in their lifetime, rather than a job people are happy to be done with.

I really did love working at that Coast Guard Academy

Former Employee - Office Clerk in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in New London, CT

I worked at Coast Guard Academy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The faculty and staff there are like a family once you equate faces to names and names to personalities. I worked there for several years and they treated me with the utmost respect. My supervisor was a treat to work for and she really had become an expert in her field, which made learning from her and working for her so much easier and fulfilling.

Cons

I was an intern there, and then a summer temp., and then an office clerk for the same office as my responsibilities in the department grew, but I couldn't become a member of the actual staff because I wasn't related to or the spouse of a member of the military. It was a great experience to work their for as long as I did. but that one "con" really didn't sit well with me.

Long hours, no direction, and senior officers can't make any decisions

Current Employee - Company Officer in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Company Officer in New London, CT

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have no idea when you are at work, at home, working out, or just doing nothing because you don't feel like starting the mounds of work in front of you. The good part about vacation (leave) is when your supervisor calls you to ask where a coworker is and they forgot they let them take vacation!

The overall best part is working with cadets who care and do not get in trouble. These individuals are what make the job worth it but encompass very few of your actual hours worked (70+ a week). Developing and mentoring these cadets is often the highlight of my day and week, but occurs way too little.

Cons

There is a complete and total lapse in management and communication. Working here for over a year I have still yet to be formally welcomed and made aware of the expectations of my position. The hours that I am required to work have not been defined at all (we just make them up as we go) which sometimes backfires when your boss needs you at 6pm on a Friday after you get to work at 6am.

There are also limited opportunities for career development. There is no time, funding, or consideration for spending a minimal amount of time developing your career skills that will ultimately enhance the overall talent pool of coworkers and essentially assist cadets in developing. Having earned a MA from an Ivy league school to take this position, there is no reference to the skills and ideas you have and a cadet's ideas are often taken over your own, despite the training and extensive real world experience.

Management needs to realize we are always playing catch up due to their own policies and procedures and the majority of people who work for them are contemplating getting out of the service 3 of 8, that 2 of 8 have letters to separate from the service drafted and ready to submit, and 5 of 8 are actively looking to switch jobs in the organization. Overall there is 1 of 8 who is content with her job, but she fills the mold of the current management and is part of the problem.

As a student here.

Current Employee - Service Academy Cadet in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Service Academy Cadet in New London, CT

I have been working at Coast Guard Academy

Pros

Great benefits as you are getting paid to go to school. It also sets you up for great options in the future. The CEO J. Burhoe is a great guy to work for, he is very open and understanding.

Cons

The command structure creates tension within the academy. Management often dismisses ideas before they have even read the containing report.

Be more open to change and adopt some of the qualities of the CEO