Coast Guard Academy

Coast Guard officer

0-3 (Current Employee)
    Morgan City, LA

ProsOpportunity for Travel, pay, benefits

ConsToo much micromanagement, lack of diversity and very small budget

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to learn to put people first

I really did love working at that Coast Guard Academy

Office Clerk (Former Employee)
    New London, CT

ProsThe faculty and staff there are like a family once you equate faces to names and names to personalities. I worked there for several years and they treated me with the utmost respect. My supervisor was a treat to work for and she really had become an expert in her field, which made learning from her and working for her so much easier and fulfilling.

ConsI was an intern there, and then a summer temp., and then an office clerk for the same office as my responsibilities in the department grew, but I couldn't become a member of the actual staff because I wasn't related to or the spouse of a member of the military. It was a great experience to work their for as long as I did. but that one "con" really didn't sit well with me.

Long hours, no direction, and senior officers can't make any decisions

Company Officer (Current Employee)
    New London, CT

ProsThey have no idea when you are at work, at home, working out, or just doing nothing because you don't feel like starting the mounds of work in front of you. The good part about vacation (leave) is when your supervisor calls you to ask where a coworker is and they forgot they let them take vacation!

The overall best part is working with cadets who care and do not get in trouble. These individuals are what make the job worth it but encompass very few of your actual hours worked (70+ a week). Developing and mentoring these cadets is often the highlight of my day and week, but occurs way too little.

ConsThere is a complete and total lapse in management and communication. Working here for over a year I have still yet to be formally welcomed and made aware of the expectations of my position. The hours that I am required to work have not been defined at all (we just make them up as we go) which sometimes backfires when your boss needs you at 6pm on a Friday after you get to work at 6am.

There are also limited opportunities for career development. There is no time, funding, or consideration for spending a minimal amount of time developing your career skills that will ultimately enhance the overall talent pool of coworkers and essentially assist cadets in developing. Having earned a MA from an Ivy league school to take this position, there is no reference to the skills and ideas you have and a cadet's ideas are often taken over your own, despite the training and extensive real world experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to realize we are always playing catch up due to their own policies and procedures and the majority of people who work for them are contemplating getting out of the service 3 of 8, that 2 of 8 have letters to separate from the service drafted and ready to submit, and 5 of 8 are actively looking to switch jobs in the organization. Overall there is 1 of 8 who is content with her job, but she fills the mold of the current management and is part of the problem.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a student here.

Service Academy Cadet (Current Employee)
    New London, CT

ProsGreat benefits as you are getting paid to go to school. It also sets you up for great options in the future. The CEO J. Burhoe is a great guy to work for, he is very open and understanding.

ConsThe command structure creates tension within the academy. Management often dismisses ideas before they have even read the containing report.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to change and adopt some of the qualities of the CEO

Worked for Coast Guard Academy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coast Guard Academy reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Coast Guard Academy employees.