Coastal Carolina University Reviews

CEO

Coordinator to Assistant Director

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Coastal Carolina University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Community, family-friendly, great place to work as an introductory career or if you're a professor in Business

Cons

Salary, room for upward growth

2. Furniture Mover - Recon

I worked at Coastal Carolina University full-time

Pros

Student workers on Fridays got let out early. Housing was provided.

Cons

Only $8/ hr. Very demanding work with minimal breaks and unrealistic goals.

Advice to Management

Improve support and communication throughout the housing teams

Fun but frustrating

Former Employee - Advisor in Conway, SC
    Former Employee - Advisor in Conway, SC

Pros

Great environment, beautiful campus, very nice people. community support, fun events, personable students. Great weather and school spirit very encouraged!

Cons

Good old boys system. Too much talk about politics and religion within professional settings. Men got promoted over females who were doing a much better job. Married females were promoted over unmarried females. (Basically, it's 1952).

Advice to Management

Separation of church and state. Better employee review procedures to ensure fairness. This college will be one of the best eventually, but they need to open their eyes more and take notice that it's no longer a time of the 1950s housewife.

5. Standard academic beauracracy for a state university.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Conway, SC

I have been working at Coastal Carolina University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent location, not too far from the beach, good for those who like the Myrtle Beach/Conway area. - Easy to have a personal relationship with others within each department.

Cons

- Too hot/humid in the summer, too cold in the winter, its only really nice for about a month in both the Spring and Fall. - A lot of beauracracy. - Limited weekly hours for student employees makes it difficult to work multiple student jobs. - Students not able to work full-time over the summer (only allowed to work 37.5 hours) makes it difficult on students who are struggling to pay for college.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to remove a lot of the paperwork, forms, and people involved, also take out the limits set for student workers.

6. The Wall College of Business is great place to work and study!

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Conway, SC

Pros

The people are very friendly and will try to help you in anyway they can.

Cons

The communication on the campus is nonexistent. Everyone likes to assume things are getting done instead checking or rechecking to make sure.

7. Custodial

Current Employee - Custodial in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Custodial in Conway, SC

I have been working at Coastal Carolina University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours, not too hard of a job

Cons

boring, disgusting at times,

Better than many equivalent places

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Conway, SC

I have been working at Coastal Carolina University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Speaking for my own department, in the humanities, I am very satisfied. I find my colleagues to be committed teachers and pretty smart scholars, especially the newer hires. The administrative staff are top-notch.

Cons

Like many universities, Coastal is filled with anxiety about the future and lets itself be led around by the bean-counters. There is a lack of vision at the top. Some departments (for example, modern languages) have been gutted. The health benefits are the worst I've had. I'm amazed at the deductible.

Advice to Management

Quit talking about "customer service" and remember that you lead a university, not a vocational school, much less an outlet store. Don't bow down to the trend to outsource teaching to part-time labor and non-tenure-track faculty.

Satisfied.

Pros

Beautiful campus, nice staff, some support for junior faculty.

Cons

Afraid to move forward (department); good ol' boys club.

10. Great for entry level opportunities

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Conway, SC

I have been working at Coastal Carolina University full-time

Pros

It is a plus to be able to take a classes for free and have access to the gym and recreational facilities, good benefit package and my fellow staff are wonderful. There is daily flexibility, you can come in a little late and stay late to make up the time, it's not a strict punch in/punch out environment.

Cons

There is limited opportunity for growth, networking and professional development beyond the hallowed walls- depending on the department you are in. Being in the sciences, these opportunities are important but not readily available to staff. There are specific funding pools for faculty and administrative staff to pursue opportunities, but nothing for research staff. I don't feel as though the University is invested in my future success, though I've brought in money in my short tenure. Very simple employee issues are overlooked, the staff in my area don't get business cards making networking a little more difficult when the opportunities arise.

Advice to Management

Provide professional development opportunities and encourage supervisors to inform staff about opportunities. Employees satisfaction with Coastal will depend greatly on their supervisors.

11. Resident Assistant

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Conway, SC
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Conway, SC

I worked at Coastal Carolina University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Team Building -Friendly Staff -Great on a Resume -Paid Housing & Meals -Nice Living Facilities

Cons

-Long Training -May have to share a suite -Can be Clickish depending on staff given -Work/ Life Balance around beginning and end of the semester is hard because of all the check ins/outs

Advice to Management

Keep moving in a positive direction and break up the clicks among those who have been in housing for years.

RSS Feed </> Embed