Coastal Contacts

Updated January 3, 2015
Updated January 3, 2015
3.7

Roy Hessel

Work may not be that fulfilling, but the people are amazing.

I have been working at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel appreciated every time I do something good at work. People smile and ask how I am and genuinely mean it. You want a hug? You got it, but without it being weird. We play games, care about one another and get work done. We volunteer together.

Cons

Money is less than stellar. Communication is a bit of a disaster at times, but that seems pretty typical for any company.

It'd be nice if Logistics was treated on the same level as the office. Specifically: budget and time off for team-building events. Logistics team-building events are generally free events taking place after work hours. Office departments have taken half the work day off to go ziplining or do the Grouse Grind.

Overall good company. rated 3.

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Coastal Contacts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company offers great culture, and people I work with are all hard working and friendly.

Cons

Salary is not the best.

Invest on its employees. Otherwise, talented people will leave for the better opportunity.

I've had good opportunities for growth at Coastal, and I love my job.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We've gone through a lot of changes this year, and I think for the better. Positions have become more streamlined, we continue to receive excellent benefits, and I think that we are finally moving towards an experienced, talented team whose positions are based on merit. As a parent I've been given the opportunity to start earlier in the morning so that I can pick up my children and have some time with them. Work is finally valued based on what is actually delivered (quality), not just how many hours an employee appears to be working.

Cons

By being promoted internally I'm definitely at a salary disadvantage. Even with some much appreciated raises, I'm still well below the industry average within Canada. Adding costs like daycare and now parking (because our area no longer has much street parking) creates a strain when living in such an expensive city. This may soon be addressed due to our benefits survey, however.

Continue with the increasing transparency that we have begun to see these past months, staff are aware when there are challenges and it's best to communicate respectfully rather than allowing the grapevine to spin out of control. Please continue to encourage and even provide educational opportunities (lunch and learns would be an excellent addition, for instance).

Love the new direction we're headed!

I have been working at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company with great opportunities. Rewards hard work and dedication, and there's a comfortable culture, where you feel valued. Management follow a sound business strategy, yet makes great efforts to ensure employee satisfaction.

Cons

Growing pains with the transition from previous leadership and strategy.

Best career decision I ever made

I have been working at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has always provide opportunity for growth as you work hard and prove results. Team Coastal has as strong culture and is a pretty fun place to go to every day. The work is fast paced and to be successful be prepared for change, but those who can go with the flow and prove value have success. It feels great to work for a company that helps people see everyday.

Cons

Challenging industry dynamics & recent acquisition cause some unknowns, but they are all challenges to face head on!

Great company, one of the best in Canada.

Current Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

• Opportunities for growth.
    • Good benefits package.
    • Great environment, fun, not extremely corporate.
    • Good work-life balance.
    • New management is making a great progress in aligning our goals and cleaning up our past reputation.

Cons

• Salary is no the best.
    • Previous management created kind of a bad reputation, internally and externally.

My only advice to Management would be to keep doing the internal clean up. We have acquired great talent, but there are still a few team members that have the bad habits of previous management. We can still improve the team talents and build an extremely solid unity.

Just another job

Current Employee - Corporate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Corporate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers at Coastal understand and place value in work-life balance, getting time off is a non-issue.

This is a great place to make friends and take it easy. For a workplace that follows the 9 - 5 model with little flexibility on starting hours of work, heavy socializing throughout the day is not discouraged.

You are allowed to wear flip-flops at the office and colorful language/traditionally inappropriate statements aren't actively discouraged.

After 3 months probation, you can sign up for one or both of the group RRSP and shareholding plan where they will match your contributions up to a tiny percentage of your pay.

Cons

Before the change of hands, growth was reserved for attractive people and those "in" with management. With Essilor driving the ship, growth looks dismal in light of the cutbacks and positions left unfilled as people leave.

I can't blame them for their average wages because they don't demand much from their employees. You can't get more responsibility even if you ask. They don't share information about the business or communicate effectively on an internal, company-wide scale.

Here's the truth behind their lengthy list of values:
    -Agents of Change: Survivors of Change is more fitting
    -Do More with Less: used in irony more than what it was intended for
    -Team Coastal, Bias to Action, Hard Working, Innovation, Do Some Good: debatable at best

Make a choice and make it clear what camp Coastal is going to be a part of: the one where you don't mind locking up information and sticking with traditional methods so that your employees greatest satisfaction is their salary or be as forward-thinking as you claim and promote a culture where people want to perform to the highest standards.

Best cultural environment I have ever worked in.

Former Employee - Corporate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Corporate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement. 3 promotions in 3 years. Great co-workers. Amazing ESOP matched contributions. Great benefits. Exciting atmosphere.

Lots of opportunity for upcoming employees.

Cons

Company was in a state of downsizing certain departments when I left. I read it was recently sold to Essilor for a hefty sum so I am unsure as to the management aspect of the company at this time.

Women Beware: Executives Still Think It's the 1960s

I have been working at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is fair, the benefits are very good and the vacation time is really appealing.

Cons

The biggest issue is the company's attitude toward women. If you stay here for any length of time, you'll notice that the executive board is almost entirely male and they have a habit -- especially in Marketing -- of hiring men for credentials and women for looks.

There are absolutely capable, hard-working, smart and attractive women, but those aren't the women being hired in areas like Marketing, HR or management in general. And the real trouble is that these women often struggle in the positions they get and then have to ask for outside help -- usually from the more qualified candidates that they beat out for the role.

This winds up breeding resentment in the workforce which isn't fair to anyone -- the more qualified people feel upset that they've been passed over for jobs they could've excelled at, and the less qualified people feel stressed, over-worked and out of their depth.

There was some hope that with the Essilor takeover this attitude would cease, but it seems as though they've maintained that status quo.

It's not the 1960s. Women should be considered for jobs based on their abilities and not their looks.

Rectify this issue very quickly or you run the risk of both sinking one of the most valuable departments at any company and driving away good talent.

Great customer base but lack of consistency from management and internal issues amongst managers

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Coastal Contacts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free pair of special effects contacts every year / contacts and glasses at cost

Cons

Internal managerial conflicts leave employee unsure of who to follow. Favorites based on who's going out with managers

Management should be trained to avoid displaying internal conflicts to employees, also ensure all the manager decisions are overlooked and evaluated.