Coastline Business Strategies

2.2

CEO

Great growth, big opportunity

I have been working at Coastline Business Strategies full-time

Pros

Complete control of advancement, meaning, there's no "I've been here the longest so I get promoted" or "I'm friends with the boss so I get treated better". Paychecks are based solely on work ethic. If you bust your ass you get paid very well. There is unlimited growth opportunity. A lot of people are making 6 figures within 24 months. Lots of opportunity to travel, and it's never required.

Cons

Commission pay, which can be bad or good. No guarantee of advancement. Lots of outdoor work, high expectations, but not unrealistic, from management

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Salesman/Solicitor in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Salesman/Solicitor in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job pays you based on performance. If you work hard and can sell, then you can make money.

Cons

Not for everyone. You go door to door soliciting businesses to buy office supplies (Quill products). Personally, I felt like a real jerk bothering strangers about there office supplies.

You will not make very much money your first weeks (or possibly ever). The job provides zero financial security since it is all based on you much you sell. This is probably why there is huge turnover in employees.

Lastly, and probably the most frustrating part of the job, I never got a physical copy of Quill's catalog. I had a mini catalog, kind of like one you receive from clothing or electronic stores periodically, but it did not cover 10% of what they have. If you have a potential buyer interested in a printer then you have to use a computer (rarely) or smartphone (often) to show them their opitions. Needless to say, this is a huge inconvenience and makes you look unprofessional and unprepared. There is a huge (outdated) catalog that some employees had, but apparently they are too expensive to make and aren't made anymore (or so I was told). So I hope you have a smartphone and a good data plan.

Don't drink in the office! It's not the '50s. Be professional.

I'd like to say be honest with your new hires about hours and salary, but then I'm afraid few people would accept the job.

There has got to be a better option than smartphones for your salesman.

Good in theory, however it is highly misleading

Current Employee - Client Executive in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Coastline Business Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team environment, training is thorough, fast growth, teaches you patience in the field, new experience each day.

Cons

Company values are non-existent, not to mention the fact that the bosses are complete drunks, and have no professional demeanor whatsoever. A lot of swearing & aggressive language in the workplace, also the pay structure is misleading. You are told you will make 600+ a week, but what they don't tell you is that in order to make the salary you must meet a quota & if you don't make the quota you are strictly commission. It is highly misleading.

Stop drinking in the office. It's unprofessional and disgusting.

Know what you're getting yourself in for

Former Employee - Client Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Client Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

(Ignoring Pros/Cons section to instead summarize my experience with the company).

First off, the company's "real" name is Atlantic Coast Consulting.

Coastline Business Strategies is one of MANY smaller businesses within Atlantic Coast Consulting.

I feel like I should share my experience at Coastline Business Strategies so that it may help anyone considering the entry level sales position.

First, I will address all of my questions/concerns prior to joining the company, followed by the answers...

Q. Is the position 100% commission?
    A. Yes and no... you will be assured that there is a $400/week "base salary" with 20% commission, however, what you are not told is that to qualify for the base salary, you must meet a minimum of 5 sales per week. By making 5 sales a week, it would be very likely that you would average around $800 per week if you were 100% commission, so by taking the "base salary" + 20%, you would be shooting yourself in the foot. The main issue I have with this is that a base salary should be present regardless of sales, so there is in fact no true base salary, meaning the position can be treated as 100% commission.

Q. Are there benefits/holidays?
    A. No. The management are very considerate, and will allow you days off to "do what you gotta do", however, seeing as how the job is 100% commission, that is basically the same as being self employed, so certainly in most cases, the "employer" should not have any say in whether or not you take time off anyways, as long as your sales are there. There are no benefits that I was made aware of.

Q. Are sales door-to-door?
    A. YES! The sales generally are not residential, however you will be expected to go to wherever there is a listed business (which is sometimes residential), but it is absolutely 100% door to door sales, meaning you find a strip of stores that may be candidates for your product, and you work your way through those stores to sell your product.

Q. What am I selling?
    A. It varies, I pitched wireless products, other people sell office supplies, you sell whatever you are told to sell.

Q. What is the work environment like?
    A. The office environment is very energetic team building and training, you spend from 800-915am basically (in my opinion) wasting time, the management try to get you pumped up and ready to go out and sell the snot out of your product. It's very friendly and can be quite fun, however, the reason for this is because when you leave the office, you will be mentally drained by all the 'customers' you pitch to. You will be spending your day with an outstanding amount of rude, ignorant and disrespectful people, along with a few reasonable and pleasant people. Your job is to make them like/trust you, and then try to sell your product.

Q. Am I reimbursed for expenses?
    A. The only thing that you will be reimbursed for is gas, however, you will only be reimbursed at the end of the tax year as they write your mileage off as a business expense. This means that you must keep a log of your mileage, oil changes etc, then file them yourself at the end of the year. So basically no, you are not reimbursed. You will spend minimum $100/week in gas probably, and every penny of that comes out of your own pocket until years end.

Q. Is this company a scam?
    A. The company is not a scam, however you are working with salespeople, which means you should be very careful when you are asking job related questions, and keep pressing the question until you receive a firm answer.

Now, I will break down my personal experience with the company...

TRAINING

My overall training experience was pleasant. My 'leader' took me out with her for the first week, while I observed and took notes. Later in the week I started pitching more and more, with the understanding that I was expected to close a sale by weeks end.

I did not manage to close a sale by the end of that week, so rather than sending me out on the field by myself, my team leader came with me again on Monday to assist me in closing my first sale, so that I could then be released to the field with my own territory to start working independently.

The training is actually very good, you are constantly tested on your knowledge of your product, and you are given a folder with all the information you need to assist you.

ON THE FIELD

This is where I struggled. You are given "leads" which are supposed to give you information on the businesses you should try and sell to, however, the leads are wrong 90% of the time, which means in reality you are expected to 'find' businesses that are either new or not on the leads sheet, which means a lot of the time you are walking into a business blind, with no knowledge of what they have, or what they are eligible for.

I personally struggled because I am not forceful enough. If you are to be successful in this line of work, you must be prepared to walk into someones business like you own the place, and do everything you can to not accept "No" for an answer.

I left on my 7th independent day on the field, I had made 0 sales with the exception of the sale I made during training. It could be argued that I didn't give myself or the job enough of a chance, however I did learn quickly that the line of work does not suit me.

LEAVING

When I called up my manager to tell him that I didn't want the job anymore, he was very understanding and professional in dealing with me.

PAY

At my time of leaving, I was under the impression that I'd be due somewhere around $400-$800...heres why:

- Job posting stated "paid training"
    - $100 bonus for passing background check etc.
    - I was expecting $400/week base salary (prior to discovering the 5 sales/week to qualify)
    - I made one sale for $130 commission (but expected only 20% commission mixed with base salary)
    - I was under the impression that gas was reimbursed monthly

Well I received a cheque for $71.00... ($85 before tax)

Okay, not really sure which one of the above matches $85, so I wrote an email to try and find out what the deal was.

I received a voicemail a short time later which addressed all of the above points and was told:

- The $85 was my $100 bonus after tax... but then I was taxed on top of tax down to $71....??
    - The 400/week salary was subject to 5 sales per week
    - I would receive $130 the following week as payment for my commission sale
    - Gas is not reimbursed monthly

( I didn't address the paid training as I figured they would tell me that its only paid if you make sales during training).

So overall, I'm happy that I got a total of less than $200 back, although I did invest more than that in gas, clothing (suit) and food. So ultimately it cost me money to work here, but that was down to me not selling my product.

Would I recommend this company to a friend? No, however this is not necessarily a bad company to work for. Their main problem is that they are deceiving, which leads to a constant turnover of staff. (there seem to be nterviews for entry level positions 5 days a week every week).

This job will allow you to make a lot of money if you are good at door to door sales, but if you're not, you will likely find it very hard to get by dealing with both the psychological and financial stresses.

However, like any sales company, if you are a good sales person, you will probably have a great time working for the business, but it is very hard work.

Hopefully this review will be useful to some people! Good luck!

Cons

Pros/Cons have been covered above.

Great Resume Builder. Learned a lot!

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Firstly I do want to say everyone that has not succeeded here would say its a "scam" however that is not the case
    This company rewards you based on performance and some past employees just expected everything to be given to them

What this company taught me was hard work and leadership which was definitely the motivation I needed to eventually start my own business
    There are yearly R&R (Rest & Relaxation trips) taken by the whole organization and they are SO much fun. Its definitely the opportunity the organization takes to recognize its employees and show them a good time.If you like to travel also there is plenty of opportunities to go on business trips where the company pays for your stay.

You get paid every single week here and the pay comes with bonuses (I earned many so my paychecks were great) I typically averaged about 800 a week

They do not hire everyone, they are very selective about the employees so all of my coworkers were very professional and easy to easy along with

Cons

The office culture is somewhat young however the hungry young professionals are definitely there looking to gain experience

N/A

This place is scam.

Former Employee - Client Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Client Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are good at deceiving people.

Cons

They are good at deceiving their employees. You will work 60+ hours a week. You won't make any money. No benefits. No compensation for training.

Mar 26, 2014Manager

Our intention is not to deceive our employees, nor any applicants to the company. We apologize for any lack of clarity you may have experienced throughout the interviewing and/or hiring process. Our ... More

No money, inadequate training, poorly managed. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Coastline Business Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is basically a hybrid pyramid scheme even though they tell you it isn't. This job only provides you with an opportunity. If you work your ass off every single day then there is a chance that you can make it to their "glorious" management position where you will get paid a salary and get benefits. But the path to get there is daunting to say the least. If you can buy into the system and sell your soul to this company then you can succeed.

Cons

This job is 100% commission. If you don't make big sales every day, you're screwed. I had to quit because I was actually paying money in gas alone to be able to work there on days that I didn't make a sale. It's tough to convince people to buy generic office supplies (even at a heavily discounted price) on the spot unless they have a need for it at the moment.

They only provide one day of in house training before throwing you in the field with somebody. (it's because they don't want to spend the time or money to train you adequately)

I got "promoted" within three weeks - the only difference was that I had to show up to work another half hour earlier for a "team meeting."

They focus a lot on team bonding and spending time together outside of work with co workers. But when you are working 7am-5:30pm every day, walking most of that time, you get burnt out. I think they do this to grow personal relationships so that it makes it harder for you to quit on them. The management is poorly organized often sending people out on day trips with out any advanced notice at all.

Stop worrying so much about the money. People can tell that its all you care about. Bite the bullet and spend some more quality time training your employees adequately. Be more prepared and give people some heads up about day trips. Emphasize the building up of the employees skills and abilities rather than just their sales. Be open and honest with other employees about people quitting, acting like it didn't happen just made the job seem sketchy and dishonest.

The morning "pep rallies" sucked, made me feel like I was working at a restaurant, everyone deep down hates that stuff. Make some changes and you will be a successful company.

Mar 26, 2014Manager

The SEC defines a pyramid scheme as follows:
    In the classic "pyramid" scheme, participants attempt to make money solely by recruiting new participants into the program. Employees are compensated
    ... More

Scam

Current Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, CA

Pros

The employees are nice and are always trying to include new team members in bonding activities. The employees are a tight-knit group.

Cons

There is no base salary--solely commission. After I left, they told me I "completed paperwork incorrectly" and would not pay me the commission I earned. You use your own gas, phone, etc., and get sent all over the state to sell door-to-door products. They also make you hang out with the work crew after work multiple times a week for "team bonding." The hours are brutal, as well. I worked 8-6 every day, and if you don't make a sale, you don't get paid. I would never recommend this employer.

Mar 26, 2014Manager

Our company offers a performance-based compensation structure. There are two options available for employees upon hire: base salary plus commission with a quota or commission pay plus client bonuses ... More