Cobalt

Cobalt Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Cobalt President and CEO John W. P. Holt

John W. P. Holt

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is here is you are willing to sacrifice any career advancement"
    in 43 reviews
  • "They allow some positions to work from home on a part time of full time basis"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Preference is given to employees who have no work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Low pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great culture and work life balance, but growth opportunities are lacking

Pros*Great life work balance
    *Nice company culture
    *Friendly atmosphere

Cons*Depending on your position there could be very little room to grow and very few transferable skills to be gained.
    *Below industry standard salaries

Advice to Senior Management*Communicate better with team members about the projects, future goals and the companies direction

Career Killer!

Account Advocate (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsOption to work from home. If you do the minimum, its not a 40 hr a week job.

ConsHiring profile for this position is all over the board. Somehow, they have let people in without any marketing experience but have "customer service experience". Great job to get your feet wet in digital marketing, but you'll feel stymied pretty quickly if you have even 1 years experience + any drive at all to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight want to diversify away from General Motors. Yeah, the same GM that is averaging a new auto recall every week, setting records. Come on mgmt: its well documented and known in the halls of Cobalt how rampant the cronyism is - blow things up and start over, do an audit, get to the bottom of the mess here... I saw way too many smart/motivated/qualified people prevented from vertical OR lateral moves based on real dubious and shady "reasons" or "feedback". Need a whole new system for internal moves.

A great experience

Seattle, WA

ProsAs a new employee, everyone was extremely friendly as I got adjusted. I felt welcomed right away. Something great about this company: managers listen. My manager considers my input and feedback, I feel like I matter here. I know I'm coming to work with a great group of people.

ConsI have very little to complain about here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving one-on-ones has been extremely beneficial. I hope all managers here follow this pratice.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Seattle, WA

ProsThe culture is the greatest part of working here. It is fast-paced, fun and challenging. The company cares about the customer experience as well as employee growth. The company also values diversity and encourages volunteering in the community.

ConsIf you don't handle change well this isn't the place for you. You must be flexible and open to new ideas.

Innovative company and its popularity contents

Account Advocate (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsYou will learn so much about the automotive industry. Lots of tools to make your job easier.

ConsIts not about your hard work, its about how well you brown nose. You will be overworked and given an ok salary

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize more tools to make employees more efficient and successful. Managers should be looking at the staffs resumes to know their strengths. Promotions seem to not be based on how well somebody does, but who they know. Managers are overworked and staff is over worked. Promises to make it better have been coming for at least 5 years.

Loved Every Minute

Senior Designer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsEveryone that I had the pleasure of working with was immensely talented and smart. They managed to adopt the Agile Methodology in a way that worked fantastically for the product and engineering departments. The project managers all know exactly what they're doing and motivate you to do the best you possibly can. You have to do great work to succeed but everyone makes you want to. They often paid for training and sent my group to seminars and workshops. The pay was very good and so were the benefits. This is honestly the best job I've ever had.

No, I'm not management writing some paid review, I'm an ex employee who had to relocate. I would love to continue working there if I could.

ConsThere's nothing I can think of

Groundhogs day - only monthly

Account Advocate (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsIt's great that after a year you are able to work from home full time or decide to desk share (wfh half a week). Some of the managers are great, and the extra programs you can join on the side are perfect at getting you away from your desk.

ConsEverything is about favoritism here. The extra programs such as mentoring or training are hard to join unless you are a popular employee. Management also tends to tell a fairytale about how these programs help with future promotions, but this is a lie. There are very few opportunities for Account Advocates. Also, this position is said to be like an Account Manager, but it's 100% a call center job. You could have no experience what so ever and be perfectly capable in this role. Get ready for auto dealers to yell at you all day long when you are forced to call and try to sell them a new product they don't care about. If you truly have a passion for customer service do not work as an Account Advocate, you will not be empowered to be creative or proactive when finding solutions for clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate paths for true career advancement. Pay Better. And for god sake, stop John Holt from sending out rude and inconsiderate emails to the entire company - especially about his dislike for snow days.

Waste of time and expertise!

Software Applications Engineer IV (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsWork-life balance, Some smart people, Nice View and location.

ConsLots of incompetent people who only pretend that they are working hard, management only encourages such people and not reward the people who are actually working hard. Working and dealing with incompetent off shore team sucks away all the positivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't mistake confidence for competence. Encourage people to be more opinionated, but if they cannot really do their job, then there is no point in keeping them around. Don't reward people just because they

Good company, opportunities for growth

Seattle, WA

ProsLots of training for new hires, software used for work is convenient and pretty easy to learn, the people I've met so far are really nice, work-life balance is good (you can discuss working earlier/later depending on your schedule), free bus pass

ConsThe company is taking on lots of accounts- it will become harder and harder for the teams to keep up with the workload at this pace

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't sacrifice quality for quantity- if there aren't as many new accounts, teams can focus on delivering more value to existing clients

Excellent career growth, opportunities for professional development.

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA stellar team of "nerds". The talent of the employees constantly challenges you to perform better and grow your skills. Interaction with client teams adds to this even further.

ConsIt's a challenge to extend the culture of the company to remote, home-based associates. There's awareness of this, but more can be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Keep it up, and continue to create a dynamic work environment with solid advancement opportunities.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Cobalt? Contribute to the Community!

Cobalt Videos

Cobalt – Why Work for Us?

Why Work at Cobalt As a premiere automotive digital marketing firm, Cobalt hires the best of the best. As an applicant, this means you have your pick of places to work-why should you choose us? Read on to find out… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cobalt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cobalt CEO John W. P. Holt. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by Cobalt employees.