Cobalt Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.7

Cobalt President and CEO John W. P. Holt
John W. P. Holt

Pros
  • Work-life balance is here is you are willing to sacrifice any career advancement (in 45 reviews)

• They allow some positions to work from home on a part time of full time basis (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Preference is given to employees who have no work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

learned a lot

Current Employee - Account Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

desk share
    great culture
    great managers
    freedom to manage our accounts
    relationship focus
    ability to take ownership, develop relationships, do your own creative, website design. SEO, Social Media

Cons

Too many accounts to manage fully making new requirements unrealistic. Position has changed. Compensation lacking. Constant fear of escalations.

Less meetings. Excessive work load given the new responsibilities. More conversations with AA's individually.

To-do list grows and grows

Former Employee - Account Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location in Seattle. All public transportation links within yards from the office. Opportunity to work from home and desk-share.. Company provided Orca card. Co-workers are fun and helpful.

Cons

The Account Advocate requirements and account load continued to grow but the expectations remained the same.
    Providing strategic insight to clients became a double-edge sword. Your clients want more insight from you but there isn't enough time in the day to offer the level of service that they know you can offer.
    Advocate attrition is high which lead to higher account loads.
    Too many specialists serving one account. A typical account has an Advocate, SEO specialist, Sales contact, then if they have addition digital products they have a Digital Account Analyst and if they add on email marketing they have another separate contact for that. The Advocate is the point person for all these people for the account so a lot of time can be spent scheduling or rescheduling meetings with clients and specialists.

As the face of Cobalt, I would considering cutting the Account Advocate account load in half. If you want to show value to clients, the Advocates are the ones who build this relationship and can make or break the level of customer satisfaction. When more accounts are added to Advocates book of business, something has to give and it shouldn't be the level of strategy or support provided to the customer. I believe that customers would find real value in a single specialist rather than working with many. Train advocates to work on the SEM, SEO and email campaigns for those customers with related additional products or risk losing the customer to competition with this offering. The Advocate is the heart of the company, it would serve the business well to express appreciation more frequently.

Good People but high turnover rate

Current Employee - SEO Specialist II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

hourly pay, overtime, good benefits, supervisors genuinely interested in seeing subordinates succeed and develop professionally and personally. Desk share and home shoring options. Good place to get foot in the door. Very likely to partake in events that get you noticed by other companies.

Cons

work load and client demands quickly burn you out. high turnover rate is disheartening. While they are interested in getting people to progress in their careers, there is limited upward movement in the company, but rather a lot of lateral moves available. Job is very unfulfilling on a creative level. Daily workflow centered around checking boxes to satisfy QA scores instead of focusing attention and work on helping clients perform better. No interest in making client better and growing business but just feeding clients lines to appease them. Job is essentially checking of boxes and pulling levers. This is the Spacely Sprockets of SEO work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big changes in roll yet no more money

Current Employee - Acct Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Acct Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, selfs management to a certain level. Great group of colleagues. Diversity, no drama or back biting.

Cons

Work life balance can become a crutch. Not much opportunity for going into management roll. Been there two years. Reviews but never a raise. Even though now we are wearing several different hats.. Acct management plus, sales and upsales, SEO, Content, website design and management. Lots of hands on our accts internally and we are the one in the roll that takes the heat if someone else screws up on their end.

Push back for your teams! They all seem afraid to rock the boat.

Some Great People To Work With, But The Company Is Totally Clueless.

Former Employee - Account Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaming, peer support, flexible schedule. My team and the teams around me were awesome. But many of those people left when I did.

Cons

Compensation, promotion, upper management, huge technology issues. People are promoted based on networking, not results or ability. There are too many people in management positions that are massively under qualified; this has led to mismanagement of talent and poor business decisions. Also, the majority of the clients do not want Cobalt's services. They are forced into it by their OEM. And the clients let you know how they feel about being forced to work with Cobalt.

Upper management does not listen to suggestions or care for advice; there is no point leaving advice for them.

Rising tides raise all ships

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast moving business in growing digital advertising industry. Innovative company in a great location in SoDo. Decent pay and positive work/life balance.

Cons

Poor leadership with little to no vision. Customer takes a back seat to revenue, no commitment to anything but revenue.

Wipe the slate. Focus on solving real customer problems...what benefit does Cobalt deliver to dealers outside OEM mandates? The company will never win until they start listening to the people who actually drive their business.

Cobalt is where I finally found the job I was looking for my whole career.

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work with some amazing people at Cobalt. They are smart, and very good at what they do. Politics are at a minimum. You can't get away from them, but they don't hamper progress. The managers I encounter look out for their people. They support us and make sure we have the tools we need to do our job. They embrace people here. If you are honest and do your job, you will do well here.

Cons

Cobalt as a part of ADP no longer has that start-up vibe as far as culture; for example there are no giant parties (but there are some good ones). Still some of this is actually good.
    Some of the things that you would expect they would have down-pat they do not, but I am stretching to come up with this Con.

A more consistent and intuitive review system would be nice.
    There is a great work/life balance. I think the balance between making the "new and innovative" and "supporting the existing/infrastructure" is pretty good, but there are still some frustrations when the established tools/processes/products break.

One great company

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Great developers and progressive thinking

Cons

Work in silos. Not good for career development

The culture is laid back, need more cross training.

A couple of the best reasons to work at Cobalt is the Culture and the Managers.

Current Employee - Digital Advertising Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Digital Advertising Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have excellent benefits compared to all the other companies I have worked for. I can only speak from experience in the Digital Advertising department but from my experience Cobalt really cares for their employees. I also have noticed that if you have the drive to succeed, you will.

Cons

Promotions take longer at this company than I have seen at other companies I have worked for. That being said I have never worked for such a large company in the past so the competition is fierce here due to the great talent.

My experience has been positive.

Current Employee - Account Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cobalt offers a great work life balance.
     My manager is very positive and does not micromanage me at all, she is very trusting.
    They have a gym on the first floor so I am able to work out everyday.
    I am looking into moving to another position within the company and my manager is helping me in the process.

Cons

The work can feel a little redundant at times.
    It's a big company so sometime I feel we are just judged on the numbers we produce and not quality of work

Worked for Cobalt? Contribute to the Community!