Cobalt

Updated August 12, 2014

3.7

Cobalt President and CEO John W. P. Holt
John W. P. Holt

Pros
  • Work-life balance is here is you are willing to sacrifice any career advancement (in 45 reviews)

• They allow some positions to work from home on a part time of full time basis (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Preference is given to employees who have no work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

learned a lot

Current Employee - Account Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

Pros

desk share
    great culture
    great managers
    freedom to manage our accounts
    relationship focus
    ability to take ownership, develop relationships, do your own creative, website design. SEO, Social Media

Cons

Too many accounts to manage fully making new requirements unrealistic. Position has changed. Compensation lacking. Constant fear of escalations.

Less meetings. Excessive work load given the new responsibilities. More conversations with AA's individually.

Good People but high turnover rate

Current Employee - SEO Specialist II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist II in Seattle, WA

Pros

hourly pay, overtime, good benefits, supervisors genuinely interested in seeing subordinates succeed and develop professionally and personally. Desk share and home shoring options. Good place to get foot in the door. Very likely to partake in events that get you noticed by other companies.

Cons

work load and client demands quickly burn you out. high turnover rate is disheartening. While they are interested in getting people to progress in their careers, there is limited upward movement in the company, but rather a lot of lateral moves available. Job is very unfulfilling on a creative level. Daily workflow centered around checking boxes to satisfy QA scores instead of focusing attention and work on helping clients perform better. No interest in making client better and growing business but just feeding clients lines to appease them. Job is essentially checking of boxes and pulling levers. This is the Spacely Sprockets of SEO work.

Big changes in roll yet no more money

Current Employee - Acct Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Acct Advocate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work-life balance, selfs management to a certain level. Great group of colleagues. Diversity, no drama or back biting.

Cons

Work life balance can become a crutch. Not much opportunity for going into management roll. Been there two years. Reviews but never a raise. Even though now we are wearing several different hats.. Acct management plus, sales and upsales, SEO, Content, website design and management. Lots of hands on our accts internally and we are the one in the roll that takes the heat if someone else screws up on their end.

Push back for your teams! They all seem afraid to rock the boat.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some Great People To Work With, But The Company Is Totally Clueless.

Former Employee - Account Advocate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Teaming, peer support, flexible schedule. My team and the teams around me were awesome. But many of those people left when I did.

Cons

Compensation, promotion, upper management, huge technology issues. People are promoted based on networking, not results or ability. There are too many people in management positions that are massively under qualified; this has led to mismanagement of talent and poor business decisions. Also, the majority of the clients do not want Cobalt's services. They are forced into it by their OEM. And the clients let you know how they feel about being forced to work with Cobalt.

Upper management does not listen to suggestions or care for advice; there is no point leaving advice for them.

Stay Away No Matter What They Tell You!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The office in Seattle has a great view of Puget Sound and the downtown area. They also provided a free Orca pass, but that's pretty standard in downtown Seattle.

Cons

The office culture at Cobalt is awful. Upper and middle management are more concerned about protecting their jobs than delivering innovative products to market. As stated in previous reviews, Cobalt is a terrible place to work. Seattle has much better employment options. Stay Away.

At this point, I don't think anything can be done. Even the founder and CEO is jumping ship soon. Never a good sign when the Executive Team starts to leave.

Rising tides raise all ships

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Fast moving business in growing digital advertising industry. Innovative company in a great location in SoDo. Decent pay and positive work/life balance.

Cons

Poor leadership with little to no vision. Customer takes a back seat to revenue, no commitment to anything but revenue.

Wipe the slate. Focus on solving real customer problems...what benefit does Cobalt deliver to dealers outside OEM mandates? The company will never win until they start listening to the people who actually drive their business.

Great place to learn about website management and online advertising.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

This is a great place to learn how websites are maintained and online advertising works. Many folks are hired at entry level with little to no previous experience. You will be brought on with little training and do quite well if you have a curiosity for the industry and the drive to teach yourself what you don't know. It is a very informal work environment and allows for moderate growth. Use this place a a resume builder and then leave to get paid the industry standard.

Cons

The business concept results in slower pace of development/product improvement. Since Cobalt's primary revenue stream is focused on contracts with large Automotive OEM's instead of individual business owners, the development work is slowed. This makes for an interesting dynamic where account managers want to service the individual business owner's (Dealership Owner's) requests, while aligning with the OEM's compliance standards. Refining the art of telling the client we are not able to provide them with the exact solution they want and offer what we are able to provide, hoping the "consumer's perspective" will win out in as the ultimate influence.
    There are major inefficiencies in the sales through implementation process. It is very difficult for the sales teams to easily submit an accurate order for any product correctly. Cobalt utilizes a spreadsheet for 300 products and the exact product must be identified from a spreadsheet that is most of the time outdated. Implementation ends up being a major bottleneck, as only 2 staff members are tasked with manually entering all orders from an email que. There is a huge opportunity for refinement here.

Dig in to the tasks that your front line staff do on a daily basis to better understand and measure success. Investing some time to develop and utilize Salesforce (CRM) to it's fullest potential will help to measure client engagement quality.

Cobalt is where I finally found the job I was looking for my whole career.

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

I work with some amazing people at Cobalt. They are smart, and very good at what they do. Politics are at a minimum. You can't get away from them, but they don't hamper progress. The managers I encounter look out for their people. They support us and make sure we have the tools we need to do our job. They embrace people here. If you are honest and do your job, you will do well here.

Cons

Cobalt as a part of ADP no longer has that start-up vibe as far as culture; for example there are no giant parties (but there are some good ones). Still some of this is actually good.
    Some of the things that you would expect they would have down-pat they do not, but I am stretching to come up with this Con.

A more consistent and intuitive review system would be nice.
    There is a great work/life balance. I think the balance between making the "new and innovative" and "supporting the existing/infrastructure" is pretty good, but there are still some frustrations when the established tools/processes/products break.

One great company

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Great developers and progressive thinking

Cons

Work in silos. Not good for career development

The culture is laid back, need more cross training.

A couple of the best reasons to work at Cobalt is the Culture and the Managers.

Current Employee - Digital Advertising Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Digital Advertising Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

They have excellent benefits compared to all the other companies I have worked for. I can only speak from experience in the Digital Advertising department but from my experience Cobalt really cares for their employees. I also have noticed that if you have the drive to succeed, you will.

Cons

Promotions take longer at this company than I have seen at other companies I have worked for. That being said I have never worked for such a large company in the past so the competition is fierce here due to the great talent.

Worked for Cobalt? Contribute to the Community!