Cobalt

Cobalt Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Cobalt President and CEO John W. P. Holt

John W. P. Holt

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is here is you are willing to sacrifice any career advancement"
    in 42 reviews
  • "They allow some positions to work from home on a part time of full time basis"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Preference is given to employees who have no work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Low pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Loved Every Minute

Senior Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone that I had the pleasure of working with was immensely talented and smart. They managed to adopt the Agile Methodology in a way that worked fantastically for the product and engineering departments. The project managers all know exactly what they're doing and motivate you to do the best you possibly can. You have to do great work to succeed but everyone makes you want to. They often paid for training and sent my group to seminars and workshops. The pay was very good and so were the benefits. This is honestly the best job I've ever had.

No, I'm not management writing some paid review, I'm an ex employee who had to relocate. I would love to continue working there if I could.

ConsThere's nothing I can think of

Good company, opportunities for growth

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of training for new hires, software used for work is convenient and pretty easy to learn, the people I've met so far are really nice, work-life balance is good (you can discuss working earlier/later depending on your schedule), free bus pass

ConsThe company is taking on lots of accounts- it will become harder and harder for the teams to keep up with the workload at this pace

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't sacrifice quality for quantity- if there aren't as many new accounts, teams can focus on delivering more value to existing clients

Satisfactory

SEO Specialist (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt as a contractor for less than a year

ProsProvides digital advertising for an industry that will most likely show much more growth in the future. Good teamwork & decent pay.

ConsIt's a little disorganized and pretty structured/by the book

Great Organization That Might Be Reading Too Much of It's Own Positive Press Reports

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cobalt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLoads of smart, talented people with solid skills and the desire to 'do the right thing'. Good middle management that cares and works hard to support solidly skilled teams. Cobalt has developed amazing technology resulting in phenomenal capabilities. It gives employees confidence the organization is the most effective player in the digital automotive space.

ConsThere is a cadre of extremely capable senior managers who in their brilliance (and they are legitimately bright), make wide-ranging decisions before thorough analysis resulting in poor outcomes for employees and client relationships. There are management cliques which exclude and those outside the circle are isolated or eliminated with little compassion. There are many decisions which seem to come out of an overconfidence which results in a less-than-thoroughly thought through solutions- which end with poor outcomes. It's a disappointing reality for an organization which at one time was character-driven, but has been transformed by ADPs purchase. ADP demands profit at all costs and those costs are being delivered at the expense of people. Combine that with a number of key young management players who are self-absorbed and the road gets rough. It does not have to be this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize compassion over compensation. You can pay Caesar what it is due him, but remember people are what makes and organization. There is no substitute for character. Managers need to make hard calls, but doing so without thorough analysis leads to unnecessary pain for clients, employees and the organization as a whole.

And again the employees are being forced to write reviews

Account Advocate (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Pros include not having a place to move upwards, no bonus structure and it doesn't matter how many of your clients love you - if you don't grind out the information exactly as requested you are considered a loser.

ConsPlease check the latest influx of great reviews! Isn't it strange how there is 'suddenly' lots of reviews in January of this new year? This company is pitiful and is only worthy to work for every 2 weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Seattle culture didn't quite make it to Detroit - this place is similar to working in a factory. No happiness, new offices but it doesn't change how it is to work here. Also seeing Senior Mgmt every so many months doesn't help us to feel comfortable enough to speak with anyone. Thanks for the paycheck.

Excellent career growth, opportunities for professional development.

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA stellar team of "nerds". The talent of the employees constantly challenges you to perform better and grow your skills. Interaction with client teams adds to this even further.

ConsIt's a challenge to extend the culture of the company to remote, home-based associates. There's awareness of this, but more can be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Keep it up, and continue to create a dynamic work environment with solid advancement opportunities.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good group of people, but poorly executed mission

I have been working at Cobalt

ProsGreat overall attitude, quite a bit of personal/professional freedoms

ConsLow pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to do more to keep and reward the competent people you have. There is a reason why everyone worth their salt keeps leaving.

Welcoming, open, and comfortable.

Senior Manager, Channel Strategy (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time

ProsUpon starting I was very gratified in my choice to move my career to Cobalt. The people here were not just very welcoming, but exceptionally helpful and interested. At least half a dozen people have gone out of their way to help me get oriented and integrated. Many more than that have done large and small things to ensure that I have felt included and a part of the team from day one.

From the moment I got settled into my office I found the whole place to much less stressed, frenetic, and tense than my former large, Redmond based employer. I am very happy to be a part of what Cobalt is building here. With my limited experience thus far, Cobalt seems unlike other places I have worked who claim to offer a start-up environment. There definitely seems to be a sense of urgency and an ability to execute. People have a lot of responsibility and seem to have a lot of freedom to execute within their discipline.

Comp is good and opportunities seem both available and attainable.

ConsThe ADP vs Cobalt on-boarding can be a bit confusing and the logistics of the hiring process can be tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone now.

Very dissatisfied

Software Development Engineer II (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

ProsOrca pass is a plus. It pays for your commuting to work on the public transportation. Also once a week there were bagels.

ConsVery bad company culture. Lying all over the place on all levels of management. Pretty back benefits package and disrespectful treatment. Very bad work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. Your reputation is on the line.

Loved working with great people!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cobalt full-time

Prosgreat people, benefits and technology

Constravel kept me away from my family

Advice to Senior Managementhire road warriors but help them manage their on the road life better... limit travel to 3 weeks per month

Worked for Cobalt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cobalt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cobalt CEO John W. P. Holt. All 256 reviews posted anonymously by Cobalt employees.