Cobalt Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
3.6

Cobalt President and CEO John W. P. Holt
John W. P. Holt

Pros
  • Work-life balance is here is you are willing to sacrifice any career advancement (in 46 reviews)

• They allow some positions to work from home on a part time of full time basis (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Preference is given to employees who have no work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

good company

I have been working at Cobalt

Pros

very nice, friendly,dedicated employee,small company

Cons

upper management needs to be strong otherwise its ok

if you are not liked by your manager your time is limited

Current Employee - Digital Solutions Manager
    Current Employee - Digital Solutions Manager

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, reputable with dealers

Cons

If you are not liked by your manager, your time is limited. They will twist and furn things around so you will either want to quit or get fired. Poor management for workers. I have had mine talk behind my back to my team members and it came back to me. Not once but on numerous occasions. Embarrassing to me and to her.

Upper management needs to do 360 degree evaluations on their management. Passive aggressive managers are in your company and it is a shame for a reputable company like yours.

Good company, but room for improvement

I have been working at Cobalt full-time

Pros

Great culture and people to work with. Thorough training and good benefits package.

Cons

Poor pay and you don't even get Christmas Eve or Black Friday off, even though the clients you work for aren't working. There isn't great room for advancement and the raises are poor, which is the main reason I am looking to transfer to another company within the next year. I feel stuck and need something to work to, not just the same job and work to a low yearly pay increase.

It would be nice to have some more information on where you advance with a career within the company. I'd ideally like to stay with the company, but if you hire motivated people looking to grow their careers, you need to provide opportunity to encourage them to stay with the company.

You have to be lucky...

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

a lot of cool ppl that work there

Cons

if you are unlucky to have a manager who simply dislikes you, you are basically treated like a young black kid in the city of Ferguson. No matter how forthright and honest you try to be with them, if your manager dislikes you he will bend, skew, and put different angles on the upfront attitude you try have with him. Say you tell him, "look.. i am very rattled from that last caller who used offensive language with me, so forgive me for showing frustration but i really need to vent." He will take that statement and put it on your permenant record and say, "This employee once showed she was visibly upset. This employee needs to improve on not having any emotions or feelings as most humans on this earth do." True FN story!!!

Please do not hire passive-aggressive managers who are afraid of confrontation. It is the anti-thesis of what you want in a helpful manager.

Fun culture doesn't pay bills

Current Employee - Tech Support, Tier II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tech Support, Tier II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's a fun culture, a push to make people feel engaged, and a lot of development happening quickly. Supporting agile development is awesome and exciting. The people make this place.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the engagement programs don't have any follow-through. It's a lot of talk. There's a definite pay gap, too - toil away for years and meager (max 4% per year, only earned if you never go home) raises will put you behind new hires. Sometimes new hires under you. This is my main gripe, honestly. They don't reward loyalty -- but if you leave for money and come back in 8-12 months, they'll pay up (which is so backwards!). And don't even think about asking your boss for more or even a salary discussion - they reprimand or blacklist anyone who brings it up. It's very tough to feel like you're underpaid and not know how to fix it.

Pay experienced hard workers! Reward loyalty! Stop making people in Services (AA, Tech Support, Ops) leave and come back to make what they're worth.

To-do list grows and grows

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in Seattle. All public transportation links within yards from the office. Opportunity to work from home and desk-share.. Company provided Orca card. Co-workers are fun and helpful.

Cons

The Account Advocate requirements and account load continued to grow but the expectations remained the same.
    Providing strategic insight to clients became a double-edge sword. Your clients want more insight from you but there isn't enough time in the day to offer the level of service that they know you can offer.
    Advocate attrition is high which lead to higher account loads.
    Too many specialists serving one account. A typical account has an Advocate, SEO specialist, Sales contact, then if they have addition digital products they have a Digital Account Analyst and if they add on email marketing they have another separate contact for that. The Advocate is the point person for all these people for the account so a lot of time can be spent scheduling or rescheduling meetings with clients and specialists.

As the face of Cobalt, I would considering cutting the Account Advocate account load in half. If you want to show value to clients, the Advocates are the ones who build this relationship and can make or break the level of customer satisfaction. When more accounts are added to Advocates book of business, something has to give and it shouldn't be the level of strategy or support provided to the customer. I believe that customers would find real value in a single specialist rather than working with many. Train advocates to work on the SEM, SEO and email campaigns for those customers with related additional products or risk losing the customer to competition with this offering. The Advocate is the heart of the company, it would serve the business well to express appreciation more frequently.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NONE that come to mind

Cons

Pay
    Benefits
    Commute
    Management

1. The pay is nowhere near equal or fair throughout the various work groups

2. The benefits seem to get more expensive and far worse with each passing year.

3. The only positive thing about the commute is that most folks are aloud to work from home either part time or full time...oh and the Orca pass of course.

4. If you know whos behind to kiss or how to play a great political game then you're golden, if you don't then you have no real hope of going anywhere in this company.

5. You really do have to have a certain look to get anywhere here. If you have the "Ken & Barbie" look, you really don't even need to be able to do your job well, just "look the part"

6. The work load and expectations change so often it'll make your head spin. The expectations are so ridiculous and nearly impossible to achieve. It almost feels as though they are setting most people up for failure.

Why bother with advice. Feedback is given regularly and always seems to fall on deaf ears because NOTHING ever seems to change in a positive way.

Good People but high turnover rate

Current Employee - SEO Specialist II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

hourly pay, overtime, good benefits, supervisors genuinely interested in seeing subordinates succeed and develop professionally and personally. Desk share and home shoring options. Good place to get foot in the door. Very likely to partake in events that get you noticed by other companies.

Cons

work load and client demands quickly burn you out. high turnover rate is disheartening. While they are interested in getting people to progress in their careers, there is limited upward movement in the company, but rather a lot of lateral moves available. Job is very unfulfilling on a creative level. Daily workflow centered around checking boxes to satisfy QA scores instead of focusing attention and work on helping clients perform better. No interest in making client better and growing business but just feeding clients lines to appease them. Job is essentially checking of boxes and pulling levers. This is the Spacely Sprockets of SEO work.

Big changes in roll yet no more money

Current Employee - Acct Advocate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Acct Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, selfs management to a certain level. Great group of colleagues. Diversity, no drama or back biting.

Cons

Work life balance can become a crutch. Not much opportunity for going into management roll. Been there two years. Reviews but never a raise. Even though now we are wearing several different hats.. Acct management plus, sales and upsales, SEO, Content, website design and management. Lots of hands on our accts internally and we are the one in the roll that takes the heat if someone else screws up on their end.

Push back for your teams! They all seem afraid to rock the boat.

learned a lot

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

desk share
    great culture
    great managers
    freedom to manage our accounts
    relationship focus
    ability to take ownership, develop relationships, do your own creative, website design. SEO, Social Media

Cons

Too many accounts to manage fully making new requirements unrealistic. Position has changed. Compensation lacking. Constant fear of escalations.

Less meetings. Excessive work load given the new responsibilities. More conversations with AA's individually.