Cobalt

Updated November 14, 2014
3.7

Cobalt President and CEO John W. P. Holt
John W. P. Holt

Pros
  • Work-life balance is here is you are willing to sacrifice any career advancement (in 45 reviews)

• They allow some positions to work from home on a part time of full time basis (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Preference is given to employees who have no work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved Every Minute

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone that I had the pleasure of working with was immensely talented and smart. They managed to adopt the Agile Methodology in a way that worked fantastically for the product and engineering departments. The project managers all know exactly what they're doing and motivate you to do the best you possibly can. You have to do great work to succeed but everyone makes you want to. They often paid for training and sent my group to seminars and workshops. The pay was very good and so were the benefits. This is honestly the best job I've ever had.

No, I'm not management writing some paid review, I'm an ex employee who had to relocate. I would love to continue working there if I could.

Cons

There's nothing I can think of

Good company, opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of training for new hires, software used for work is convenient and pretty easy to learn, the people I've met so far are really nice, work-life balance is good (you can discuss working earlier/later depending on your schedule), free bus pass

Cons

The company is taking on lots of accounts- it will become harder and harder for the teams to keep up with the workload at this pace

Please don't sacrifice quality for quantity- if there aren't as many new accounts, teams can focus on delivering more value to existing clients

A great place to work

I have been working at Cobalt full-time

Pros

The culture is the greatest part of working here. It is fast-paced, fun and challenging. The company cares about the customer experience as well as employee growth. The company also values diversity and encourages volunteering in the community.

Cons

If you don't handle change well this isn't the place for you. You must be flexible and open to new ideas.

Groundhogs day - only monthly

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's great that after a year you are able to work from home full time or decide to desk share (wfh half a week). Some of the managers are great, and the extra programs you can join on the side are perfect at getting you away from your desk.

Cons

Everything is about favoritism here. The extra programs such as mentoring or training are hard to join unless you are a popular employee. Management also tends to tell a fairytale about how these programs help with future promotions, but this is a lie. There are very few opportunities for Account Advocates. Also, this position is said to be like an Account Manager, but it's 100% a call center job. You could have no experience what so ever and be perfectly capable in this role. Get ready for auto dealers to yell at you all day long when you are forced to call and try to sell them a new product they don't care about. If you truly have a passion for customer service do not work as an Account Advocate, you will not be empowered to be creative or proactive when finding solutions for clients.

Create paths for true career advancement. Pay Better. And for god sake, stop John Holt from sending out rude and inconsiderate emails to the entire company - especially about his dislike for snow days.

Great Organization That Might Be Reading Too Much of It's Own Positive Press Reports

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Cobalt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loads of smart, talented people with solid skills and the desire to 'do the right thing'. Good middle management that cares and works hard to support solidly skilled teams. Cobalt has developed amazing technology resulting in phenomenal capabilities. It gives employees confidence the organization is the most effective player in the digital automotive space.

Cons

There is a cadre of extremely capable senior managers who in their brilliance (and they are legitimately bright), make wide-ranging decisions before thorough analysis resulting in poor outcomes for employees and client relationships. There are management cliques which exclude and those outside the circle are isolated or eliminated with little compassion. There are many decisions which seem to come out of an overconfidence which results in a less-than-thoroughly thought through solutions- which end with poor outcomes. It's a disappointing reality for an organization which at one time was character-driven, but has been transformed by ADPs purchase. ADP demands profit at all costs and those costs are being delivered at the expense of people. Combine that with a number of key young management players who are self-absorbed and the road gets rough. It does not have to be this way.

Prioritize compassion over compensation. You can pay Caesar what it is due him, but remember people are what makes and organization. There is no substitute for character. Managers need to make hard calls, but doing so without thorough analysis leads to unnecessary pain for clients, employees and the organization as a whole.

And again the employees are being forced to write reviews

Current Employee - Account Advocate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Advocate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Pros include not having a place to move upwards, no bonus structure and it doesn't matter how many of your clients love you - if you don't grind out the information exactly as requested you are considered a loser.

Cons

Please check the latest influx of great reviews! Isn't it strange how there is 'suddenly' lots of reviews in January of this new year? This company is pitiful and is only worthy to work for every 2 weeks.

The Seattle culture didn't quite make it to Detroit - this place is similar to working in a factory. No happiness, new offices but it doesn't change how it is to work here. Also seeing Senior Mgmt every so many months doesn't help us to feel comfortable enough to speak with anyone. Thanks for the paycheck.

Waste of time and expertise!

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer IV in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer IV in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, Some smart people, Nice View and location.

Cons

Lots of incompetent people who only pretend that they are working hard, management only encourages such people and not reward the people who are actually working hard. Working and dealing with incompetent off shore team sucks away all the positivity.

Don't mistake confidence for competence. Encourage people to be more opinionated, but if they cannot really do their job, then there is no point in keeping them around. Don't reward people just because they

Excellent career growth, opportunities for professional development.

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A stellar team of "nerds". The talent of the employees constantly challenges you to perform better and grow your skills. Interaction with client teams adds to this even further.

Cons

It's a challenge to extend the culture of the company to remote, home-based associates. There's awareness of this, but more can be done.

Great job! Keep it up, and continue to create a dynamic work environment with solid advancement opportunities.

Satisfactory

Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Provides digital advertising for an industry that will most likely show much more growth in the future. Good teamwork & decent pay.

Cons

It's a little disorganized and pretty structured/by the book

Welcoming, open, and comfortable.

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Channel Strategy in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Channel Strategy in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time

Pros

Upon starting I was very gratified in my choice to move my career to Cobalt. The people here were not just very welcoming, but exceptionally helpful and interested. At least half a dozen people have gone out of their way to help me get oriented and integrated. Many more than that have done large and small things to ensure that I have felt included and a part of the team from day one.

From the moment I got settled into my office I found the whole place to much less stressed, frenetic, and tense than my former large, Redmond based employer. I am very happy to be a part of what Cobalt is building here. With my limited experience thus far, Cobalt seems unlike other places I have worked who claim to offer a start-up environment. There definitely seems to be a sense of urgency and an ability to execute. People have a lot of responsibility and seem to have a lot of freedom to execute within their discipline.

Comp is good and opportunities seem both available and attainable.

Cons

The ADP vs Cobalt on-boarding can be a bit confusing and the logistics of the hiring process can be tedious.

None now.