Cobalt Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

if you enjoy mind boggling incompetence at a management level - come work at Cobalt!

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Orca card, weekly bagels, nice view from the office window, centrally located in International District downtown Seattle transit hub

Cons

utterly incompetent upper management, a mind boggling array of middle management suck-ups who add no value, a training team that at the core provided no assistance or real worth, you have zero voice and nobody listens to your suggestions or warnings

Advice to Management

Wow, where do I start? I worked here for 4+ years and this was by far, the weirdest place I've ever worked. You had so many "team managers" on the floor that literally added no value to the company that it was mind boggling that they were ever give a management level position to begin with. There literally is no chance for promotion unless you are buddy-buddy with upper management. Promotions were given to people who were so horrible at their job, but had "the look". Middle managers ran amok and would have very public affairs with co-workers. Two managers were so bad that their teams of 10-12 employees would stage walkouts. HR was a complete and utter joke while this was all going on. All the while the CEO put his head in the sand and did nothing. I'm at a much better position now and suggest if you are still at Cobalt GET OUT while you can before the rest of the job market punishes you for having them on your resume, because word is definitely getting out. And if you're considering a position there, by all means stay away unless you are one step away from being homeless.

Account Advocate; not what they describe it would be

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, benefits, gym, Orca card, flexibility

Cons

Management, repetitive, not a consulting job like they advertise it as.

Advice to Management

Hire people with dignity and degrees. Most of the management don't know what they're doing and are completely biased and political. One of the managers there - a Raider's fan, had 10 out of 12 people leave his team because his management style was so bad. It was all about numbers and metrics. He REALLY needs to leave the company.

3. A great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new employee, everyone was extremely friendly as I got adjusted. I felt welcomed right away. Something great about this company: managers listen. My manager considers my input and feedback, I feel like I matter here. I know I'm coming to work with a great group of people.

Cons

I have very little to complain about here.

Advice to Management

Having one-on-ones has been extremely beneficial. I hope all managers here follow this pratice.

Career Killer!

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Option to work from home. If you do the minimum, its not a 40 hr a week job.

Cons

Hiring profile for this position is all over the board. Somehow, they have let people in without any marketing experience but have "customer service experience". Great job to get your feet wet in digital marketing, but you'll feel stymied pretty quickly if you have even 1 years experience + any drive at all to move up.

Advice to Management

Might want to diversify away from General Motors. Yeah, the same GM that is averaging a new auto recall every week, setting records. Come on mgmt: its well documented and known in the halls of Cobalt how rampant the cronyism is - blow things up and start over, do an audit, get to the bottom of the mess here... I saw way too many smart/motivated/qualified people prevented from vertical OR lateral moves based on real dubious and shady "reasons" or "feedback". Need a whole new system for internal moves.

Innovative company and its popularity contents

Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will learn so much about the automotive industry. Lots of tools to make your job easier.

Cons

Its not about your hard work, its about how well you brown nose. You will be overworked and given an ok salary

Advice to Management

Utilize more tools to make employees more efficient and successful. Managers should be looking at the staffs resumes to know their strengths. Promotions seem to not be based on how well somebody does, but who they know. Managers are overworked and staff is over worked. Promises to make it better have been coming for at least 5 years.

Loved Every Minute

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I had the pleasure of working with was immensely talented and smart. They managed to adopt the Agile Methodology in a way that worked fantastically for the product and engineering departments. The project managers all know exactly what they're doing and motivate you to do the best you possibly can. You have to do great work to succeed but everyone makes you want to. They often paid for training and sent my group to seminars and workshops. The pay was very good and so were the benefits. This is honestly the best job I've ever had.

No, I'm not management writing some paid review, I'm an ex employee who had to relocate. I would love to continue working there if I could.

Cons

There's nothing I can think of

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time

Pros

The culture is the greatest part of working here. It is fast-paced, fun and challenging. The company cares about the customer experience as well as employee growth. The company also values diversity and encourages volunteering in the community.

Cons

If you don't handle change well this isn't the place for you. You must be flexible and open to new ideas.

Groundhogs day - only monthly

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great that after a year you are able to work from home full time or decide to desk share (wfh half a week). Some of the managers are great, and the extra programs you can join on the side are perfect at getting you away from your desk.

Cons

Everything is about favoritism here. The extra programs such as mentoring or training are hard to join unless you are a popular employee. Management also tends to tell a fairytale about how these programs help with future promotions, but this is a lie. There are very few opportunities for Account Advocates. Also, this position is said to be like an Account Manager, but it's 100% a call center job. You could have no experience what so ever and be perfectly capable in this role. Get ready for auto dealers to yell at you all day long when you are forced to call and try to sell them a new product they don't care about. If you truly have a passion for customer service do not work as an Account Advocate, you will not be empowered to be creative or proactive when finding solutions for clients.

Advice to Management

Create paths for true career advancement. Pay Better. And for god sake, stop John Holt from sending out rude and inconsiderate emails to the entire company - especially about his dislike for snow days.

Waste of time and expertise!

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer IV in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer IV in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, Some smart people, Nice View and location.

Cons

Lots of incompetent people who only pretend that they are working hard, management only encourages such people and not reward the people who are actually working hard. Working and dealing with incompetent off shore team sucks away all the positivity.

Advice to Management

Don't mistake confidence for competence. Encourage people to be more opinionated, but if they cannot really do their job, then there is no point in keeping them around. Don't reward people just because they

Good company, opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training for new hires, software used for work is convenient and pretty easy to learn, the people I've met so far are really nice, work-life balance is good (you can discuss working earlier/later depending on your schedule), free bus pass

Cons

The company is taking on lots of accounts- it will become harder and harder for the teams to keep up with the workload at this pace

Advice to Management

Please don't sacrifice quality for quantity- if there aren't as many new accounts, teams can focus on delivering more value to existing clients

RSS Feed </> Embed