Cobalt Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great Organization That Might Be Reading Too Much of It's Own Positive Press Reports

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loads of smart, talented people with solid skills and the desire to 'do the right thing'. Good middle management that cares and works hard to support solidly skilled teams. Cobalt has developed amazing technology resulting in phenomenal capabilities. It gives employees confidence the organization is the most effective player in the digital automotive space.

Cons

There is a cadre of extremely capable senior managers who in their brilliance (and they are legitimately bright), make wide-ranging decisions before thorough analysis resulting in poor outcomes for employees and client relationships. There are management cliques which exclude and those outside the circle are isolated or eliminated with little compassion. There are many decisions which seem to come out of an overconfidence which results in a less-than-thoroughly thought through solutions- which end with poor outcomes. It's a disappointing reality for an organization which at one time was character-driven, but has been transformed by ADPs purchase. ADP demands profit at all costs and those costs are being delivered at the expense of people. Combine that with a number of key young management players who are self-absorbed and the road gets rough. It does not have to be this way.

Advice to Management

Prioritize compassion over compensation. You can pay Caesar what it is due him, but remember people are what makes and organization. There is no substitute for character. Managers need to make hard calls, but doing so without thorough analysis leads to unnecessary pain for clients, employees and the organization as a whole.

And again the employees are being forced to write reviews

Current Employee - Account Advocate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Advocate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Pros include not having a place to move upwards, no bonus structure and it doesn't matter how many of your clients love you - if you don't grind out the information exactly as requested you are considered a loser.

Cons

Please check the latest influx of great reviews! Isn't it strange how there is 'suddenly' lots of reviews in January of this new year? This company is pitiful and is only worthy to work for every 2 weeks.

Advice to Management

The Seattle culture didn't quite make it to Detroit - this place is similar to working in a factory. No happiness, new offices but it doesn't change how it is to work here. Also seeing Senior Mgmt every so many months doesn't help us to feel comfortable enough to speak with anyone. Thanks for the paycheck.

Excellent career growth, opportunities for professional development.

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A stellar team of "nerds". The talent of the employees constantly challenges you to perform better and grow your skills. Interaction with client teams adds to this even further.

Cons

It's a challenge to extend the culture of the company to remote, home-based associates. There's awareness of this, but more can be done.

Advice to Management

Great job! Keep it up, and continue to create a dynamic work environment with solid advancement opportunities.

Welcoming, open, and comfortable.

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Channel Strategy in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Channel Strategy in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time

Pros

Upon starting I was very gratified in my choice to move my career to Cobalt. The people here were not just very welcoming, but exceptionally helpful and interested. At least half a dozen people have gone out of their way to help me get oriented and integrated. Many more than that have done large and small things to ensure that I have felt included and a part of the team from day one.

From the moment I got settled into my office I found the whole place to much less stressed, frenetic, and tense than my former large, Redmond based employer. I am very happy to be a part of what Cobalt is building here. With my limited experience thus far, Cobalt seems unlike other places I have worked who claim to offer a start-up environment. There definitely seems to be a sense of urgency and an ability to execute. People have a lot of responsibility and seem to have a lot of freedom to execute within their discipline.

Comp is good and opportunities seem both available and attainable.

Cons

The ADP vs Cobalt on-boarding can be a bit confusing and the logistics of the hiring process can be tedious.

Advice to Management

None now.

Very dissatisfied

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Orca pass is a plus. It pays for your commuting to work on the public transportation. Also once a week there were bagels.

Cons

Very bad company culture. Lying all over the place on all levels of management. Pretty back benefits package and disrespectful treatment. Very bad work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. Your reputation is on the line.

7. Good group of people, but poorly executed mission

I have been working at Cobalt

Pros

Great overall attitude, quite a bit of personal/professional freedoms

Cons

Low pay, clueless upper management, many people in jobs above their ability level

Advice to Management

Please try to do more to keep and reward the competent people you have. There is a reason why everyone worth their salt keeps leaving.

since ADP took over, moral has plummeted, favoritism is rampant

Former Employee - Tech Support in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some of the people you get to work with are very nice

Cons

since ADP took over, moral has plummeted, favoritism is rampant
    this place literally bribed it's employee's into voting for it to be the best place to work in Washington state, with food. This place is the definition of corporate slavery. Salary is a joke. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Advice to Management

Do not let people work here. horrible place to work.

Overall, Cobalt is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart product team steering the company in a positive direction.
    New focus on customer satisfaction is great.
    ADP has provided resources for global opportunities.

Cons

Now part of ADP, cultural shift to larger organization.
    Most of the opportunities are mid level, less senior.

Advice to Management

Many people in Seattle understand parts of the auto business, but few have a comprehensive understanding. Invest in the people that do.

10. Good place to gain experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain digital marketing experience, managers care about work-life balance, benefits are decent

Cons

Pay is low; lots of talk about wanting to change, but leadership gets defensive when you actually try; workload is intense and clients are often very high maintenance

Advice to Management

Higher compensation would help retention; hire ahead of what you need so that employee workloads are manageable

11. Loved working with great people!

I worked at Cobalt full-time

Pros

great people, benefits and technology

Cons

travel kept me away from my family

Advice to Management

hire road warriors but help them manage their on the road life better... limit travel to 3 weeks per month

RSS Feed </> Embed