Cobb County School District

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cobb County School District Interim Superintendent Chris Ragsdale

Chris Ragsdale

Being a teacher allowed me to develop skills which would cross over to the medical profession.

Certified Teacher (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsStrong benefits were appreciated. Teaching allowed numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth. The school culture was supportive.

ConsI would have appreciated more staff development opportunities. I would like to see teachers get compensated, somehow, for the endless hours of overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had an excellent principal.

Good Job For Moms

Office Personnel (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsSchedule is good for Moms who want to coordinate their work and home hours. Holidays and vacations are a plus.

ConsParents need better parenting skills. Children should be better prepared for school. Teachers cannot fulfill all parent expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries need to be raised for all school employees. Too much is expected for too little.

Head Custodian II

ProsCo-workers are easy to go along with and a pleasent atmosphere.

ConsKeeping germs down and sub contractors be respectful

Advice to Senior ManagementCustodians are people and want to be treated with respect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unions are needed in Georgia

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsGreat teachers work for the district. They offer a lot of opportunities for professional growth and development.

ConsYears of furlough days and pay cuts. Compared to states with teacher unions, there is a lot of unprofessionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministrators should not have "favorites" in their building. They need to be fair and consistent to all of the employees.

You may want to think twice and here's why....

Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsIt's a job and you get to help kids.

ConsI was told by advocates/members of a teacher's association that COBB has been known for example - to hire 1200 teachers at the beginning of the year, and by the middle of year they are down to 600 - due to teachers quitting. My response was, "Of course! Poor treatment of professionals will lead to high rates of attrition!!"

I can vouch for that statement because on my campus, teachers would get fed up and quit. Some left at lunch, but most left in the middle of the school year..by December it was like... "BYE!!". The way they treat their teachers #COUGH# Chattel is well known. The administrators and higher management seems oblivious to these facts, and/or DO NOT CARE! Teachers in their eyes are a "non-factor" and are replaceable.

It's not about students, it's about test scores and pleasing parents/administrators. As a special ed teacher, I was told not to concentrate on "teaching" but on "behavior modification" and test scores. I was scheduled for so many "workshops" that left me with little of no time for the immense task of documenting behaviors + academic progress for IEP's or lesson plans for the next week. Administrators, no matter how bad they are, can ruin a teacher's career, and 99% of the time, it's not due to any ETHICAL VIOLATION, but a POLITICAL ONE! Oh, and depending on your campus, classroom Para's can be your best ally or your worst nightmare!

It is Very Political...Your not paid enough as it is, then they give you furlough days!

You send a bad kid to the office at 10:00 am he/she is back at 10:15 am...so why even bother?

Please think twice about this backwards, "good ole boy/girl" system that's still stuck in the 1950's, unless that works for you

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, b/c it won't be followed anyway...the first step to fixing issues is to admit that you have them

Second Grade Teacher

Teacher (Current Employee) Kennesaw, GA

ProsI love the administration, staff, and students that I have the opportunity to work with on a daily basis.

ConsThe workload, at times, can be intense.

"If you can teach here, you can teach anywhere!"

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) Austell, GA

ProsThe starting salary was higher than other school districts I interviewed with. Plus, you are given a county laptop for instructional purposes. Every classroom has an ActivBoard, which is a very helpful, engaging tool for teaching. Teachers genuinely care about the students and go above and beyond to enrich their lives and build relationships.

ConsThe county is very disorganized and changes its mind about how to do things every year. You always feel like a new teacher, learning something new. There are many academic coaches that come in to train us on things we already know or don't train us well; they don't seem to remember what it was like to be a classroom teacher with a zillion things to do. There is little support from administration or parents, so the student body is generally out of control because they know there isn't much teachers can really do to punish them. Students who are referred to the office are often sent back to class with no consequence. Students are routinely promoted despite functioning below grade level and failing required areas of CRCT, but administration is afraid of upsetting parents. This is a very stressful place to work: dealing with challenging behaviors all day from the kids, then battling unreasonable parents who are in denial about their children, plus all the regularly assigned classroom expectations--it's exhausting. Many teachers resign mid-year because it is just too much to handle. My first year, a teacher told me, "If you can teach here, you can teach anywhere!" I've survived thus far, but it's taken an irreversible toll on me.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudents should NOT be promoted if they are not ready for the next grade level. If they struggle in the lower grades and are simply pushed forward, they are destined to fail in the upper grades when they curriculum gets even more intense. Parents must be held accountable for their child's progress; it can't all be on the teachers.

It was ok....

Special Ed Educator (Former Employee) Smyrna, GA

ProsLarge county, great schools, calendar

ConsInteresting administration, lack of support

cook

Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

Proscommunicating with students and staff

Consnot enough pay for previous fields of work experience compared to employees who have no previous experience

Excellent compensation no matter your level of experience and education.

Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsOne of the highest compensation packages in the state. Plenty of opportunities for professional development. Multiple career paths available for specialization. Easy to transfer within the system.

ConsSpecial Education procedures driven more by legal department than best practices. Redundancy in necessary paperwork. Lack of technical integration between the county's selected software and web-based reporting systems. Greater than normal need to play "office politics" to advance within system.

Advice to Senior ManagementThough I believe the the current trend towards accountability in education is a necessary component in school improvement, I think it is too often made the primary focus. Perhaps the county as a whole would be more successful if this accountability piece were used to structure incentives rather than identify how teachers are failing. Use accountability to highlight strengths not just weaknesses.

Worked for Cobb County School District? Contribute to the Community!