Cobb County School District Reviews

4.0
Cobb County School District Interim Superintendent Chris Ragsdale
Chris Ragsdale
1 Rating

Pros
  • numerous professional development opportunities (in 3 reviews)

• Easy to transfer within the system (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • good ole boy system is alive and well (in 3 reviews)

• Teachers cannot fulfill all parent expectations (in 10 reviews)

1. Food service

Former Employee - Food Service in Powder Springs, Cobb, GA
    Former Employee - Food Service in Powder Springs, Cobb, GA

I worked at Cobb County School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It very good schedule for moms who are small kids in school, you will be home when they are off from school.

Cons

If you need more hours like working 40 hours a week, they don't have that.

2. Bus Driver

Pros

Great hours, Nice coworkers, low stress, Great supervisors

Cons

Low pay, rude mechanics, unnecessary meetings

3. clerk

Pros

Team work, equal opportunity, fairness

Cons

not enough pay, school lunch is not good

Teacher - Interrelated General Curriculum

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA

Pros

Cobb County is a large employment agency with a variety of campuses. Further, due to it's size there is a lot of movement opportunities within the county. A few years ago, my position was eliminated due to student population changes. I was able to be relocated to another campus.

Cons

Due to it's large size, if a contract is not extended, as with my first employment as a limited contract employee, and if for some reason there would be non renewal, it greatly reduces your employment options.

Advice to Management

The new evaluation tool is difficult for professionals in my particular area of interrelated classroom teacher. It has become at times difficult to be evaluated in the same manner as someone with knowledge and experience in the content area. My position as outlined in both my title and certification is to provide consultative education services in the mainstreamed classroom. I struggle with being evaluated as a provider of content instruction at the higher levels of education in content areas for which I do not hold a certificate.

6. great flexible part time job that can be scheduled to fit my needs.

Current Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, variety, many locations from which to choose. Subfinder automated calling system and online system makes scheduling ahead possible. Pay was recently raised back up to where it was before pay cuts.

Cons

Pay is not very good. There are no benefits. Jobs can be cancelled. Many jobs are requested at last minute.

Advice to Management

Offer more to regular reliable substitutes. Increases in pay and opportunities for full time permanent work.

7. Excellent compensation no matter your level of experience and education.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Marietta, GA

I worked at Cobb County School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the highest compensation packages in the state. Plenty of opportunities for professional development. Multiple career paths available for specialization. Easy to transfer within the system.

Cons

Special Education procedures driven more by legal department than best practices. Redundancy in necessary paperwork. Lack of technical integration between the county's selected software and web-based reporting systems. Greater than normal need to play "office politics" to advance within system.

Advice to Management

Though I believe the the current trend towards accountability in education is a necessary component in school improvement, I think it is too often made the primary focus. Perhaps the county as a whole would be more successful if this accountability piece were used to structure incentives rather than identify how teachers are failing. Use accountability to highlight strengths not just weaknesses.

8. Good but not great!

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Cobb County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really want to find what works for each student. This system also wants to and is actively seeking ways to close the achievement gaps.

Cons

I was laid-off due to budget restraints. 3 years after I have been laid off this district is still losing teachers due to money restrictions in the district.

Advice to Management

I believe that the management team should find more ways to cut cost at the top to ensure that classes do not grow in size.

9. School Placement has impact

Pros

I am lucky to be in a wonderful environment with exceptional students and a supportive administration.

Cons

The budget cuts in education along with increases in insurance premiums are discouraging as we take on more and more responsibilities.

10. very good one

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Marietta, GA

Pros

work hour like challenges and work hard to find answers

Cons

salary, stress, hard to work with parents

Advice to Management

no advice

11. Cobb County--the supposed 'creme de la creme' of Metro Atlanta Schools

Current Employee - Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Marietta, GA

Pros

they believe in work/family balance, the pay is reasonable, the benefits are decent. there is less of a 'combat' feel like other districts. administration is not breathing down your back--they hired you to teach, and they trust you to do so. cobb offers many opportunities to attend staff development courses, and is relatively up to date on the technology used in the classroom.

Cons

it seems as if it's not what you know, but who you know when it comes to promotions. in addition, it seems as if ccsd can't stick with one program--things change every 2 years or so. huge disparities between east cobb and south/west cobb.

Advice to Management

give a new initiative or program time to work before you switch it out. level the playing field between east cobb and other parts of cobb.

RSS Feed </> Embed