Coborn's

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

Chris Coborn

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Coborn's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling, strong values, more of a family environment than other places I have worked, upper management cares what employees think, new pay scales have made wages much more competitive with other companies, lots of opportunity to advance within the company.

Cons

It is retail.. so if you don't like working with people, this may not be the place for you.

Keep up the good work

It started out fantastic, and it is ending in disaster.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Albertville, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Albertville, MN

I have been working at Coborn's

Pros

They have a good work/life balance, they are able to work around your outside life schedule especially if you're a part time employee. There is always an opportunity for advancement and Coborn's favors hiring internally as opposed to externally. They value their employees and can make for a very healthy work environment.

Cons

Pay raises were minimal, getting 10 cents a raise when everything on your review is above average is disheartening when the guy next to you has an average/below average review gets the same raise. Management has a tendency of being disconnected, and some even treat their employees poorly while that's overlooked by the corporate office.

Listen to the employees on the store level and own up to your mistakes. Try and take into consideration the amazing ideas that your employees do come up with instead of cutting them down immediately. When you make a mistake, own it, don't blame it on your employee because that causes turnover, and that's the last thing any company wants.

Great Starting Job

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Sartell, MN
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Sartell, MN

I worked at Coborn's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company had great values and management was very understanding. Coborn's is a great company to have your first job since management works well around schedules.

Cons

Promotions did not matter that much. Pay raises were very small. After being there for five years I wa not making as much as I thought I should be.

Promotions could be better. Getting a ten cent raise every year makes employees feel as though they are not value

Fav Part-time job

Former Employee - Video/Convenience Clerk in Princeton, MN
    Former Employee - Video/Convenience Clerk in Princeton, MN

I worked at Coborn's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coborns is a wonderful atmosphere to be in. I worked in a Little Dukes gas station/video store attached to the grocery. Either way, I loved the people and the work was enjoyable. Very little monotony, as you can find yourself doing a completely different job or task from day to day. Extra effort is always rewarded, provided that it doesn't detract from your regular work. If you ever have a problem, management is supportive. Coborns has a small company kind of tight-knit community. I sing its praises.

Cons

Hmmm... I don't know. I suppose the pay starts low, but in time and after some pay-raises, it's the best job ever!

Store Manager Interview

Former Employee - Department Manager in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Coborn's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy not very difficult questions

Cons

Have to understand what it takes to effectively deal with customer conflicts, and explain how you can make a store more profitable given restricted budget abilities

Company has amazing growth potential and they do help their employees move up in the company, so long as you have experience in a different area, or are willing to work your way up in management. If I could suggest one thing it would be to help up and coming talented workers move into professional roles within the company rather than hiring outside for executive positions

Lack of respect

I worked at Coborn's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with depending on the store you are at. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Cons

Terrible management. Management constantly making promises they never keep and treat employees poorly. Lack of training you usually get one shift of actual training and then they expect you to know EXACTLY what to do.

Stop treating staff as though they are expendable. Also give proper training and compensation.

Hours cut

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Tech in Huron, SD
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Tech in Huron, SD

I have been working at Coborn's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my department, my supervisor is very good at working with us on being flexable with our hours.

Cons

was working a full 40, until the new health care laws took place. And for the company not to be forced into giving me benifits, they cut my hours for the 6 month review window. So when they get looked at they won't be forced into giving me benifits. Hard to stomach Chris Coborn saying he cares about 'his' employees, but cut alot of people's hours to advoid giving them benifits.

Treat your lower level employees with respect and they will do the same in return. Doesn't look good when new postions are created at coporate level and hours are cut at the store level.

Very nice before the last payday

Former Employee - Deli Worker in Jamestown, ND
    Former Employee - Deli Worker in Jamestown, ND

I worked at Coborn's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice team and corporative values, good opportunities for career development and moving to to other store

Cons

When I left Coborns it was not easy to get my last paycheck

Take care about leaving employees

Easy work, but extremely boring.

Former Employee - Deli Worker in Sauk Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Deli Worker in Sauk Rapids, MN

I worked at Coborn's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The work was very easy.
    -Flexible hours
    -Good Co-workers

Cons

-Boring
    -Working in Deli was somewhat gross
    -Not 100% sanitary

Train employees better at cleaning work spaces and dishes.

Amazing

Current Employee - Bagger/Cart Pusher in Sauk Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Bagger/Cart Pusher in Sauk Rapids, MN

I have been working at Coborn's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- They work well with your schedules
    - Grate mangers
    - Grate costumer base
    - Amazing work environment

Cons

Time can go slow when not many of people are in the store

Stay happy!!