Cochise Community College

Proud to teach here.

Current Employee - Associate Faculty  in  Sierra Vista, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty in Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been working at Cochise Community College

Pros

Flexibility with my schedule.
    Positive attitude of other employees and students.
    If you need something, the college will provide it- even for PT employees.
    Continual, constructive feedback on performance.

Cons

It is difficult to get a job here. You have to know someone and/or be very assertive with introducing yourself to get in.

Saving money is important, especially with the funding cutbacks, but please consider that hiring more FT faculty might actually save more than having a majority of PT faculty. Plus, it gives continuity for the students.

Not what it used to be

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generous paid time off for FT staff

Cons

High turnover now because it is not employee friendly

Change your approach to how the staff is treated if you want to keep good employees.

A New Culture of Fear

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Instructor in Douglas, AZ

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The college has a great history of service to the community. Many lives have been changed for the better as students receive some high-quality education from caring instructors and extensive help from caring advisers and other staff. The pay is competitive, and benefits are fine.

Cons

I have to share the view of other employee reviewers who have expressed deep dissatisfaction with the new senior administration, which has done much to establish a culture of fear. Decisions are made top down with little consideration of how they will affect those who actually deal with the consequences of those decisions. Faculty and staff are intimidated, fearing reprisal if they speak out. Favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism are rife. Perhaps most disturbing, hiring often blatantly seems based upon religious affiliation.

Consider the damage you are doing to morale at the college. Are any benefits you receive from any of your actions worth causing this kind of damage?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current management and college goals are destroying a college I once loved

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Instructor in Douglas, AZ

Pros

The past, all real benefits today are that the current administration isn't around much

Cons

The current administration is everything other recent reviewers have said, as far as being an employee there goes. I have been at the college many, many years and I cannot believe the harm the current administration has done.

But as far as academic standards go, no one cares that no one is really learning, it's incredible to me that a department and a school can go from such academic standards and student-oriented instruction to a system of clear favoritism in job opportunities and direction.

I know money is a problem. But we forget our primary job is still academics, and construction and technology cannot replace small class sizes and teachers who are being supported by administration.

None, they would never listen or care. They have what they want.

New Management Brought Moral WAY Down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Douglas, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Douglas, AZ

Pros

I work with very nice people. Benefits are pretty good. Generous vacation/sick time.

Cons

The new administration brought an environment of fear and mistrust. This used to be a great place to work, but it doesn't feel that way anymore. If you are mid-level management and below, you are treated like a number. Most people that I work with used to give it 110% and take pride in their work, but not anymore. Now, 90% of the employees that I talk to say that they feel disrespected by management have lost their enthusiasm and motivation to do good work. We don't feel valued or appreciated at all and do just the minimum required work -- enough to hopefully stay out of the radar of senior management. If the senior staff was honest about how they feel, they would probably say, "Too bad...if you don't like it, then leave." I think this is going to get worse over time (It already has gotten a lot worse over the past 2 years). We're always looking over our shoulders now, worried that the smallest infraction will get reported and we'll be blacklisted for good. This negativity will likely trickle-down to the students in time.

Sadly, I know that no advice I give is going to matter with this administration. Treat people with respect. Value them, or they aren't going to give their best.

Great employer but management needs to adjust

I have been working at Cochise Community College full-time

Pros

great environment with great benefits

Cons

management not really good, not taking care of lower employees

Overall, a very good experience and a good organization to work within.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Cochise Community College

Pros

A feeling of being part of a large, extended family who, for the most part works together for the benefit of the college.

Cons

No downsides to really speak of, other than possibly lower pay than non-public organizations.

A great place to work.

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Cochise Community College

Pros

Cochise College is a small college where all employees know each other. It is a nice community.

Cons

Change is slow to come even when it is needed.

Employees have great ideas. More employee forums would be nice.

Worked for Cochise Community College? Contribute to the Community!