Code 42 Reviews

Updated December 29, 2014
8 reviews filtered by
3.7
Matthew Dornquast

Employee-centric, genuine company with a promising future.

Former Employee - Support Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Support Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Code 42 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuine care for employees from leadership, great benefits, culture, opportunities for promotion/development.

Cons

Somewhat disheveled company-wide organization. Different departments (development, sales, support, etc.) are separate islands with very little communication/clarity/unity. For example, sales was unresponsive to support (hard to make a customer connection with sales with a customer whose entry-point was support). This made support look inept, when in actuality, it was sale's unresponsiveness - all of this ultimately causing frustrated customers. And, of course, frustrated customers are a pain for support to deal with. There was also no effective communication channel from the support team to the dev team to resolve ultra-common issues/bugs/UI confusion problems. This is embarrassing because it gives the impression that problems with the product are "as is" - and the customer feedback doesn't amount to changes in the product. Had several repeat customers with repeat issues that hadn't been fixed from over 3 years ago. Unacceptable in my opinion.

Lastly, there were massive, heinous, egregious delays on future product releases/updates. Dev team seems a bit disorganized, or at least unsure of itself - when their projections for project completions are wildly off-base (1+ years late from projected release).

All of that said, it's still a great company with a very positive outlook. They've been exploding with growth, and I think these things are natural growing pains from a company that was under 100 employees 2 years ago, to over 500 now.

Great people, lots of potential for the company, ok pay

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Code 42 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with very bright coworkers
    Opportunity to work with everything from iOS/OSX, Android, Windows, web dev, server side, etc.
    The company is growing, has achieved national recognition, and has a lot of potential
    Good work environments (standing/raisable desks, free food/drink, etc.)

Cons

Pay is below average, but you do get some stock in the company which may make up for the lower pay if/when Code42 goes public

Advice to Management

Make pay competitive in order to attract the best candidates

Not a great place for minorities

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Code 42 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Small company (if you're into that)
    - As a programmer, you get to actually write code a lot (like 90% of the time if you want)
    - Interesting problem space
    - Cool office space

Cons

- A replica of the problems that have come into focus with regards to the tech industry in Silicon Valley
    -- Being a woman is difficult
    -- Being an ethnic/cultural minority is difficult
    -- Nobody understands why you're unhappy
    -- Lack of training or support for technical leads that have management responsibilities
    - HR is often seen as a salve for the issues mentioned above, but Code42 HR in its current form causes more problems than it helps to solve

Advice to Management

- Start to see and read about the actual value in diversity and the issues that minorities face in this industry. Then, you'll be able to have better conversations around these topics.
    - Consider hiring an experienced HR consultant to assist in creating a less alienating HR culture

Great Place to work. Growth is exciting.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work. Growth is exciting. I have had amazing growth opportunities, and have grown both as a technologist and in my career while at Code 42. The health benefits are great. I love the values they hold to be important.

Cons

The vacation and sick leave policies are more stingy than other places I've worked. Growth and the velocity can be stressful. People are counting on you to do your part to keep the speed up.

Awesome company with great culture and products!

I have been working at Code 42 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture that is all about solving customer problems and moving onto the next challenge. Brilliant leadership that understands customers, technology and the market. Great office location and perks. Lots of top tier employees.

Cons

Lots of work going into taking the company to the next level - but it's a good challenge for the right people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. Great Minnesota Company

I have been working at Code 42 full-time

Pros

For the area, this company is an innovative company that does a good job taking care of its employees.

Cons

There's not always clear direction from management. Decisions can flip-flop, often not trusting decisions that are made.

Code 42 Response

Jun 5, 2014Human Resources Manager

Dear Fellow Code42-er,

Thank you for posting on Glassdoor about Code42. I hope you are able to attend the company meeting scheduled for July. During this meeting some of the leadership team will
    ... More

8. Use to be a great company

I have been working at Code 42

Pros

Use to be a great company prior to Bell and company

Cons

Twice as many employees but doing the same revenue or less.

Advice to Management

Get rid of them.

Code 42 Response

Jun 5, 2014Human Resources Manager

Dear Fellow Code42-er,

I am sorry to hear you are not optimistic about the outlook for Code42. I would like the opportunity to discuss this more with you. Please contact me if you are
    ... More

9. I had an internship on the Windows team where I was treated like part of the team and learned a lot.

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Code 42 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great learning experience. Everyone there was very friendly. They are a quickly expanding company with a lot of potential.

Cons

Didn't always have things to do. Of course you always had the opportunity to tackle other tasks on the list, but being an intern I did not always know how.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees always have something to do.

Code 42 Photos

Comfortable and hip environment!
Gorgeous location!