Code and Theory Reviews

Dan Gardner and Brandon Ralph

1. Really Great Experience

Former Employee - User Experience Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Code and Theory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

gave me my first career experience which i'm really grateful for. very passionate team who's work gets better and better. great transformative projects.

Cons

can be long hours at times but usually for a good reason.

stay independent.

2. Very Talented Colleagues

Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice to work with a group of smart and committed colleagues who are all focused on doing great work.

Cons

no real cons get paid for doing what i love -- making great stuff

nothing major. would be nice to come to NY every now and then.

3. So far so Good

Current Employee - Director of Production in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Production in New York, NY

I have been working at Code and Theory

Pros

only been a few weeks but the best place i've worked at in a long time. really empowered to do what i need to do and take action. top class talent who are about doing the best work possible. amazing client list

Cons

haven't discovered any real issues yet. dental and eye insurance could be better.

improve eye and dental insurance.

5. Amazing talent, passion for great design—but disorganized and chaotic

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are basically left alone to do your job. Nobody is watching the clock and counting the minutes that you're working. Oh, and there's free coffee.

Cons

Poor management, unclear company vision, long hours, and a bit of a boy's club. Sometimes it's hard to know where you stand because you're frantically moving from project to project.

Admittedly, creating a creative culture where employees feel free to take creative risks and do great work is a really difficult challenge, but the flip side to trying to be the most creative company in the world is that you don't include your employees in the "story of the company".

6. Great opportunity but no room for growth

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent clients, surrounded by very talented people and beautiful office location.

Cons

Very cliquey which makes collaborating difficult. There are mean girls and a bro club. True about the high level of arrogance. But I've also witnessed coworkers getting yelled at, hearing the shouting was so uncomfortable even behind closed doors. Didn't get a review and doesn't seem to have room for growth.

Kindness goes a long way. Tone down arrogance and the shouting. Even behind closed doors, we can hear, so perhaps being discreet would be nice. Consistency in reviews would be nice.

7. Great company!

Former Employee - Product Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Code and Theory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is growing rapidly and it couldn't be more obvious around the office. Clients are high profile and the projects are creative and exciting/

Cons

It appears there is very little room for advancement, the office has a "clique-y" atmosphere and job security is uncertain.

Make the employees feel that their jobs are a bit more stable.

8. Fast paced, inspiring and growing company

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Code and Theory is a great place to work. The people are smart, driven and motivated. Everyone here is passionate about what they do and they work hard. It is great to work around people who strive to make you better and to be somewhere where I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

If you aren't passionate and self motivated this is probably not the place for you. There is very little room for arrogance or entitled people here so if you aren't humble, ready to work and inspired to be here this is probably not the right company for you.

Keep investing in the infrastructure and making sure the culture stays intact as you scale.

9. Hard work that actually goes live

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time

Pros

Code is a place that requires you to bring your best and will make you better. Hard work is a must and you're better for it. Everyone's passion is present and the best idea wins, just be ready to fight for it. This place doesn't just talk about it, they make it. So if you want a portfolio of work that you can point to live, this is a place for you. Great client list and great team members. Cool culture and office.

Cons

Be ready to do your work and communicate about it. Expectations are very high (sometimes too much). Young company so managers are young but eager to help. Agency Management is present in most of the projects (pro and con). Overall, you have to advocate for yourself and ask. So if you are a self-starter, you'll like it. Otherwise, it's going to be a tough road.

Make more time to constructively work with the teams. Invest and recognize the staff's contributions.

10. Amazing clients, privately owned and high visibilty work. Medium sized growing shop.

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Code and Theory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a place I really got to know everyone. I made a ton of friends, lots of mentors. Was able to work on some really cool projects.

Cons

They have hired so many people in the last year. Musical chairs sometimes. High visibilty means just that...high visibilty. Be prepared to learn more than you're used to. Sometimes I got exactly what I asked for...and then felt pressure. It all worked out in the end. Every company has a bad egg or project..I try to stay away from both.

Be patient with your people.

Working at the cool agency has a price

I worked at Code and Theory

Pros

The office is industrial-chic, which made me feel at home. Dress is casual but stylish. The people were smart, talented, and young.

Cons

Salary was not commensurate with skill or value (especially for NY). Very long hours. I was expected to work 10-6 but often found myself working until 8 or 9 since we were understaffed.

Invest in the people that make your company great. Otherwise folks will keep getting burnt out and the turnover won't get any better.