Code and Theory

Dan Gardner and Brandon Ralph

Great company!

Former Employee - Product Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Code and Theory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is growing rapidly and it couldn't be more obvious around the office. Clients are high profile and the projects are creative and exciting/

Cons

It appears there is very little room for advancement, the office has a "clique-y" atmosphere and job security is uncertain.

Make the employees feel that their jobs are a bit more stable.

Great People, Very down to Earth Mgmt

I have been working at Code and Theory

Pros

the two guys who started it are very nice, very fair and honest. They encourage growth and give you lots of opportunities. Its actually a great career path because they will elevate your title when you haven't been there for years thus allowing you if you choose to move onwards and upwards faster if you have a set career path. Very generous with snacks/ bagels/ drinks and also fair with time off

Cons

hard work is expected but as Don Draper said 'your thanks is your pay packet' and as I knew my salary when I took the job, I aint complaining like some of the other reviewers here who complain despite knowing their package. If you don't like it - don't take the job and complain!

Maybe could trim some people but overall I think its a very inspirational place to work

Fast paced, inspiring and growing company

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Code and Theory is a great place to work. The people are smart, driven and motivated. Everyone here is passionate about what they do and they work hard. It is great to work around people who strive to make you better and to be somewhere where I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

If you aren't passionate and self motivated this is probably not the place for you. There is very little room for arrogance or entitled people here so if you aren't humble, ready to work and inspired to be here this is probably not the right company for you.

Keep investing in the infrastructure and making sure the culture stays intact as you scale.

Hard work that actually goes live

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time

Pros

Code is a place that requires you to bring your best and will make you better. Hard work is a must and you're better for it. Everyone's passion is present and the best idea wins, just be ready to fight for it. This place doesn't just talk about it, they make it. So if you want a portfolio of work that you can point to live, this is a place for you. Great client list and great team members. Cool culture and office.

Cons

Be ready to do your work and communicate about it. Expectations are very high (sometimes too much). Young company so managers are young but eager to help. Agency Management is present in most of the projects (pro and con). Overall, you have to advocate for yourself and ask. So if you are a self-starter, you'll like it. Otherwise, it's going to be a tough road.

Make more time to constructively work with the teams. Invest and recognize the staff's contributions.

Amazing clients, privately owned and high visibilty work. Medium sized growing shop.

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Code and Theory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a place I really got to know everyone. I made a ton of friends, lots of mentors. Was able to work on some really cool projects.

Cons

They have hired so many people in the last year. Musical chairs sometimes. High visibilty means just that...high visibilty. Be prepared to learn more than you're used to. Sometimes I got exactly what I asked for...and then felt pressure. It all worked out in the end. Every company has a bad egg or project..I try to stay away from both.

Be patient with your people.

Evolving Company

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make your own way
    If you want more, they will give it to you. If you sit around and wait for things to come to you, not the right place.

Cons

This is a progressive firm..this isn't the environment for someone that is reclusive and wants to just do "ok" work and go home. You need to bring your A game.

Longer term planning will go a long way!

Growing agency, with fairly fluid process. Going places.

I have been working at Code and Theory full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Working with some very talented folks
    - Agency is winning a lot of new business and taking on significantly more complex work
    - Work is not weighed down by process

Cons

- Agency is growing very quickly, resourcing is an issue
    - It's been difficult to retain the best talent

A Company in Transition

I have been working at Code and Theory

Pros

- very talented co-workers with great personalities
    - great benefits & pay
    - challenging in a positive way
    - racially diverse
    - positive work environment

Cons

- project management often subpar
    - lack of transparency
    - developers often overworked
    - directors & managers not allotted enough time to mentor more junior employees

- hire freelancers to fill in gaps so employees don't get overworked
    - be honest about the companies limitations instead of pretending they don't exist

Working at the cool agency has a price

I worked at Code and Theory

Pros

The office is industrial-chic, which made me feel at home. Dress is casual but stylish. The people were smart, talented, and young.

Cons

Salary was not commensurate with skill or value (especially for NY). Very long hours. I was expected to work 10-6 but often found myself working until 8 or 9 since we were understaffed.

Invest in the people that make your company great. Otherwise folks will keep getting burnt out and the turnover won't get any better.

Company in transition. Great project opportunities, talented peers. Micro-management hell.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Code and Theory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the best work produced in the digital publishing space. Fantastic talented hires.

Cons

Upper management micro-manages project output.
    Middle management is somewhat hamstrung to make the process improvements.