Code and Theory

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Gardner and Brandon Ralph

Great People, Very down to Earth Mgmt

Prosthe two guys who started it are very nice, very fair and honest. They encourage growth and give you lots of opportunities. Its actually a great career path because they will elevate your title when you haven't been there for years thus allowing you if you choose to move onwards and upwards faster if you have a set career path. Very generous with snacks/ bagels/ drinks and also fair with time off

Conshard work is expected but as Don Draper said 'your thanks is your pay packet' and as I knew my salary when I took the job, I aint complaining like some of the other reviewers here who complain despite knowing their package. If you don't like it - don't take the job and complain!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe could trim some people but overall I think its a very inspirational place to work

Evolving Company

ProsMake your own way
    If you want more, they will give it to you. If you sit around and wait for things to come to you, not the right place.

ConsThis is a progressive firm..this isn't the environment for someone that is reclusive and wants to just do "ok" work and go home. You need to bring your A game.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger term planning will go a long way!

Growing agency, with fairly fluid process. Going places.

Pros- Working with some very talented folks
    - Agency is winning a lot of new business and taking on significantly more complex work
    - Work is not weighed down by process

Cons- Agency is growing very quickly, resourcing is an issue
    - It's been difficult to retain the best talent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Company in Transition

Pros- very talented co-workers with great personalities
    - great benefits & pay
    - challenging in a positive way
    - racially diverse
    - positive work environment

Cons- project management often subpar
    - lack of transparency
    - developers often overworked
    - directors & managers not allotted enough time to mentor more junior employees

Advice to Senior Management- hire freelancers to fill in gaps so employees don't get overworked
    - be honest about the companies limitations instead of pretending they don't exist

Working at the cool agency has a price

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe office is industrial-chic, which made me feel at home. Dress is casual but stylish. The people were smart, talented, and young.

ConsSalary was not commensurate with skill or value (especially for NY). Very long hours. I was expected to work 10-6 but often found myself working until 8 or 9 since we were understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the people that make your company great. Otherwise folks will keep getting burnt out and the turnover won't get any better.

Company in transition. Great project opportunities, talented peers. Micro-management hell.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome of the best work produced in the digital publishing space. Fantastic talented hires.

ConsUpper management micro-manages project output.
    Middle management is somewhat hamstrung to make the process improvements.

Churn & burn

Creative (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Lots of talented and easy-to-get-along-with employees below the management level across all departments.
    - Salary was competitive, given you have the right prior experience
    - Decent office in a decent location
    - Projects skewed more towards interesting/innovative rather than corporate/unambitious

Cons- Agree with several of the other reviews here: total bro club in upper management
    - Zero empathy from the partners leads to obnoxious expectations
    - Near-impossible timelines matched with a lack of support leads to extremely long hours
    - Company culture is almost non-existent

Advice to Senior ManagementThrowing tantrums is not the way to keep employees motivated. The insane levels of expectation tend to burn people out, and thus it's rare to find anybody lasting beyond a year here.

Visual Intern

Visual Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood people, Fun project, Located in Soho.

ConsOnly Credit without Salar for intern.

Worth it.

Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing talent, ideas, and production quality. You'll do good work here and learn a lot very quickly. You'll work with big clients and be in an environment that favors design.

ConsMinimum pay, long/wasted hours, and high employee churn. Though you'll do good work here, you'll only do it until you inevitably burnout. Peers around you leave at various stages, due to burnout, and forcing you to be on a team of new employees for every new project.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more. The long hours would feel more justified.

Very slow to pay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCool, talented people, great location and office, nice perks, high-profile clients.

ConsDon't freelance there unless you can afford to work without a paycheck for several months as they do not pay in a timely matter. As far as work, there are great opportunities but it really depends on account, how long you've been there, and how tight you are with upper management.

Worked for Code and Theory? Contribute to the Community!