Codero

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
3.9

Emil Sayegh

Highly recommended. Good coworkers and management.

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Codero full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Great coworkers, and management
    *Good industry to work in that is on cutting edge-You will learn a lot quickly
    *Lots of rewards
    *Decent schedules that allow to balance my life, and work
    *Management transparency to how the business is doing
    *Pay is fair, benefits are good
    *Stocked kitchen with free drinks, snacks, cookouts, beer, and regularly free food

Cons

-The pace can get hectic sometimes, but overall enjoyable
    -Hard to work with multiple locations sometimes
    -Schedule is manageable but still have to work off shifts. It is the nature of this industry being 24x7

Good work. Keep it up. You have built a great company.
    More travel to office locations and other DCs for employees

Do Not Put Much Stock in Positive Codero Glassdoor Reviews - "Trust But Verify"

I have been working at Codero full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work in the hosting industry, Codero can be your foot in the door. You will meet some very smart and nice people. Work can be interesting.

Cons

This is a very difficult place to work because of the explosive, emotional management and the company's position in an industry that is dominated by giants. The negative reviews on this page have covered the majority of what makes this company so difficult to be successful at. You have probably seen the all the 5-star glassdoor reviews too. I recommend you either [1] reach out to someone in your network who is connected to someone who has left Codero & get their perspective or [2] do a search on LinkedIn and compare the number of current Codero employees with the number of former Codero employees & see if that number sits well with you. Last time I looked there were roughly twice as many former employees as current. That is not a mistake. Company has been around for roughly 5 years. Glassdoor is a great resource but sometimes it can be manipulated by companies & the Codero page is an example of that happening. Protect yourself by educating yourself & keep your career options open.

Company is still slowly growing but it comes at the cost of employees leaving in droves because of how you treat them. This is not sustainable. Rethink how you approach your employees.

Company is considerate of employees.

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Codero full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company had a fun working environment.

Cons

Didn't provide upward mobility opportunities

Positive. Better and Better with less dead weight

I have been working at Codero full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Codero for longer than most. I have had nothing but pleasant experiences. I have learned a lot and see people do the same around me. It is an open culture, that is fast moving.

Lots being done to increase company culture and the new direction in cloud products is great. This is a good company with good people, and good products.

People that work hard have a chance to advance, get noticed, and get promoted. Just in the last two months, I saw three promotions.

This is a great company overall. The CEO and this management team are very personable, and knowledgeable. They have come in and turned around this company. I have read some of the reviews below, and I was simply shocked. They reflect a personal opinion of someone who is clearly disgruntled and have an axe to grind, and does not fit in the new direction of the company. But, I can tell you this is not my experience or reality. This is a company that was not performing before them, and now it is a real strong company in the market. They opened the Austin office, and added number of people across the company to make it a real contender in the hosting space. They grew the Kansas office, brought new leadership in Phenix office, and opened a new Data Center in Dallas. They got rid of a lot of the “dead weight” which is what you are seeing in the few negative reviews below.

The quality of the people, the culture, and the products make this company second to none. I highly recommend Codero, and it is good time to be here.

Cons

Yes, we have our moments. Some of the systems we have are older, and have technical debt. We are modernizing as much as possible, but it takes time.

We hired some wrong people, that we then had to let them go. That causes some issues of course, and is painful.

Be careful in hiring people that don’t fit our culture, and don’t believe in the company future. This can be very painful and bad.
    Keep cleaning house of dead weight. Good job.
    Keep being close to the front lines. Your advice to the team based on your in depth experiences in this market, is very valuable.

Going down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Codero full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and culture. Benefits OK.

Cons

Tough business (server hosting). Too many huge players on the market, too thin margins. Tense environment when numbers are bad.

Fun and exciting place to work.

Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at Codero full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Every day is something new, Codero is a combination of challenging tasks and fun. I've seen this company change many times over the years and the last change we made, becoming Codero, has been one of the most exciting changes yet!

Whether you're in Kansas, Austin, PHX, etc, the office environment is very laid back and the people I work with are amazing.

If you come to work for Codero with just a finite amount of skills you will soon be adding a lot more to your toolbox. Every person gets the opportunity to learn new things every day.

Hours and benefits are great also!

Cons

Can't think of many cons, maybe consolidate the ATX office so we get more of a team feeling. Try harder to keep good people around.

Keep doing what you're doing by building our brand name and adding cutting edge tech to our portfolio.

Never a Dull Moment

Current Employee - Engineering in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Engineering in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Codero full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is never a morning that I wake up and dread going to work at Codero. I have been in that position in a previous life, not wanting to wake up, counting down the minutes till 5pm; then shut my laptop, pack my bag, leave for the day, and not once think about work, anything that I have accomplished, or what I can do make things better. It was a defeating feeling to come home and know that for the last 8 hours I accomplished nothing.

Never once have I had that feeling that at Codero, and I have been with Codero for several years.
    I still come home excited each day for what I have accomplished. There are always interesting challenges or something new to learn within every project. Those that have not taken advantage of what the management team has provided from their experience, they are the ones that have missed out on some of the best opportunities to grow personally and within Codero.

Myself and each member of the Codero team makes an impact within Codero.

Cons

The ability to work with remote members still needs improvement, but it is getting better.

Focus on pushing the envelope on great products.

Challenging and Rewarding environment

I have been working at Codero full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you like to be challenged by interesting and difficult projects, this is the place for you. There's not a dull day to be had at Codero. While not everything is 'sunshine and rainbows', generally each day is exciting and you get to work on a wide range of interesting technologies and problems. My co-workers are engaging and great to work with. Good benefits package and salaries seem to be in line or slightly above the traditional averages.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to get tasks accomplished, especially if what you're doing is outside of the 'normal' operating procedures/processes. Since staffing in certain areas can be a little lean, projects sometimes take longer to complete than they should.

Consider hiring more strong talent for positions that traditionally reside in cost centers (development, product engineering, etc.), rather than focusing so much on the 'revenue generating' roles (which are no less important, though).

An Opportunity Of A Lifetime...

Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Codero full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you come to work at Codero the opportunities for advancement and personal growth (technically & professionally) are huge.

Obvious pro's work you'll get to work with some very smart people who have helped build many other hosting providers in this industry. Hosting is hard, especially with companies like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft entering the fray. Yes you can go work at places like those or Rackspace, Softlayer, etc and just be a drone but at Codero you can truly make a big impact, and make a significant difference. The development and support teams at Codero are poised for greatness and if you're up for it you can be a part of it.

Other good pro's are the health benefits are <em>very</em> good. Also the career ladder is certainly there for those who want to move up provided they work for it.

Within 3-5 years you will hear of Codero along the likes of Rackspace, Solidfire et al. The management team in place ahs done it before at these companies and they'll do it again. it's a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something that's going to be big. But don't expect it to be easy. Great success takes hard and smart work...

Cons

The industry of hosting is a hard one. No one has all the answers if you're looking for an easy job with your job priorities laid out in front of you I wouldn't suggest Codero (or any hosting company for that matter.)

You might see other reviews complaining about management. Everyone here I worked with was passionate about their jobs and making the business successful. It's a tight nit group. If everyone is giving 100% and someone is just coasting by you'd be upset at them too...

They give really good medical benefits and they are fairly lax about time off if you take care of you work - However - if you have a lot obligations outside of work you'll probably have to reconsider some of them.

Push Cloud and Hybrid more aggressively. Launch the api's publicly once available ASAP. Get some public tech celebrity faces talking about Codero. Help some open source projects whether free hosting or open sourcing an internal tool everyone could potentially use. Get more personnel in dev and support. Give more trust to internal people instead of seeking validation externally. Promote within.

Countries WORST place to work

I have been working at Codero full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MOST of the management team is great! You have very talented minds that could move this place to actually hit their goals with a top notch product. The board needs to take a closer look at the CEO, if they want to make any money moving forward.

Cons

The CEO. He is a nightmare. He is abusive to his staff, both verbally and emotionally. His time has been played out here. There is no strategy, and every day is a fly by the seat of his pants. He puts everyone under unnecessary stress. He is the worst leader I have seen in my life. I am unclear why the board doesn't see how he can't keep any good employees. They all leave, some after only a month or two, or he fires them because they actually know what the issues are and the CEO does not want to hear them. He will not accept any advise from anyone. Every employee that does not work directly for him knows that our leaders will leave because of him. The only ones who will stay are the weaker ones because they can't find jobs and don't try to seek change in fear that they will start the down spiral of termination. The good ones will leave or already have left. We just had to let go of our Marketing VP who was actually pretty good. We have a GREAT COO and VP of Engineering. All the numbers for their teams are 100% or over to goal. If these gentlemen left the company Codero will fall apart. We just hired a strong sales VP who in 30 days has changed the culture on her team and they had one of the best months in a long time. Now the sales people are actually happy. For now... Unless she leaves too.... There have been countless people who quit and he begs them to stay. It is the foundation of an abusive relationship. He is nice to them when he wants something and then yells, screams and hits his fists on the table like a child when he doesn't get his way. Then he begs for forgiveness.

The last half dozen or so positive reviews on this site are from the CEO. All the employees talk about it and we all know the truth. He writes them to hide the true and honest ones.

The CEO needs to step down and let the COO run this place or find another CEO. He will continue to run this company into the ground.
    I hope the someone on the board reads this and take some action. Interviews the managers, past managers please I am begging you….

Codero Response

Jun 13, 2014CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We are proud of the entire management team we have assembled, and of our mission here at Codero. We take all the feedback into consideration, and appreciate yours ... More